Most Enjoyable Headphones?
Mar 1, 2005 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

paspro

100+ Head-Fier
Let's ignore for a moment technical quality issues and reveal to our fellow Head-Fi members which set of headphones produce the most enjoyable sound which suits our ears and taste! Let's forget about what critics, experts or most people say and confess our secret love for a particular set of headphones that gives us maximum listening pleasure because it happens to generate the kind of sound our ears enjoy!

So here are two questions for you:

Q1. Which headphones produce sound that you mostly enjoy when listening to your favorite type of music?

Q2. Which headphones do you mostly enjoy when watching a movie (either in stereo, surround or using some virtual surround software/hardware)?

And my personal answers are....

Q1 -> I mostly enjoy the sound of the Grado SR225 for classical music which I mainly listen to. Some people may prefer headphones with a larger soundstage for this type of music but my ears prefer to feel like they are sitting close to the instruments so who am I to tell them otherwise?

Q2 -> For movies my favourite headphones are the Sennheiser HD650 + virtual surround using the Sony MDR-DS5100 processor. The sound is rich, detailed with great impact and the virtual surround effect works very well with these headphones, at least to my ears!

... these preferences may change in the future as my collection grows of course...
icon10.gif
How about you?

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 28
Q1. Despite its perceived (and small) shortcomings, for me the DT531 is still in the lead for musical enjoyment. I still enjoy these cans a LOT.

Q2. For movies, I did like the DT770. Nice and bassy, decent soundstage. I also liked the CD3000's.

Mar 1, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 28
the CD3k was nice for movies, but i found the DT770 to be even better suited - plus isolation is good for those loud movie effects. and gaming.

for music, grados = fun factor.

Mar 2, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by paspro
Let's ignore for a moment technical quality issues and reveal to our fellow Head-Fi members which set of headphones produce the most enjoyable sound which suits our ears and taste! Let's forget about what critics, experts or most people say and confess our secret love for a particular set of headphones that gives us maximum listening pleasure because it happens to generate the kind of sound our ears enjoy!

So here are two questions for you:

Q1. Which headphones produce sound that you mostly enjoy when listening to your favorite type of music?

Q2. Which headphones do you mostly enjoy when watching a movie (either in stereo, surround or using some virtual surround software/hardware)?

And my personal answers are....

Q1 -> I mostly enjoy the sound of the Grado SR225 for classical music which I mainly listen to. Some people may prefer headphones with a larger soundstage for this type of music but my ears prefer to feel like they are sitting close to the instruments so who am I to tell them otherwise?

Q2 -> For movies my favourite headphones are the Sennheiser HD650 + virtual surround using the Sony MDR-DS5100 processor. The sound is rich, detailed with great impact and the virtual surround effect works very well with these headphones, at least to my ears!

... these preferences may change in the future as my collection grows of course...
icon10.gif
How about you?

Q1 = DT770-80 and KSC75 (tie), both amped and a 47 ohm impedence adapter on the KSC. Both equal enjoyment. KSC75 is my winner when I need portable unamped tunes.

Q2 = DT770 amped

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 28
Q1 - Ms1/sr325. This before I went source and amp shopping.

Q2 - I use cheap earbuds. Never really cared for using my "better" phones. When my eyes are focused on the screen, my ears just go into consumer audiophile mode. Meaning, as long as it doesn't sound like s**t, I don't really care.

Mar 2, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 28
Q1: The RS-1's...I haven't found a cd that sounds bad yet.
Q2: I never listen to movies on headphones.

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:12 AM Post #10 of 28
Music = Senn 650
Movie = Speakers
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #11 of 28
Q1: Sony MDR-CD3000
Q2: I prefer speakers.... however for late night movie viewing, I prefer Audio Technica ATH-W1000 via MPX3.

Mar 2, 2005 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 28
Bose triports....j/k
tongue.gif

I just tried out some 280 and am ordering them tommorow because of their super deep bass, isolation, comfortability, and did i mention the deep bass?

for question 2 i like surround sound speakers and thats about it, i just cant deal with anything else after growing up on surround sound

Mar 2, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #15 of 28
Q1 + Q2 = (I beg leave) HD595, over HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back