Most efficient upgrade from asus xonar stx with stock seinheiser hd 650s w
Jan 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vorilant

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased the hd 650 to upgrade from the PC 360s which I believe are basically hd 595s. The sound quality is the same for nonmetal songs but the 650s handle metal much better. Also where the 595s would pop with too much bass the 650s take everything the stx can throw. My poor ears are the limit now and not the drivers. Thats a first for me. And I'm in love with them.

I find it hard to believe that an amp is the next logical upgrade since the volume is just fine now. But I admit I'm a noob with amps. Read... Never owned one except the essence stx if that counts.

So my question is what is the next upgrade for the best and most efficient upgrade. Amp? DAC? Upgraded cord? Budget is tight now though. I was looking at the jds O2 from reading all the other forums. But I'm at a loss as to whether its worth it or not.

Experienced audiophiles . Please help me?

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I recently purchased the hd 650 to upgrade from the PC 360s which I believe are basically hd 595s. The sound quality is the same for nonmetal songs but the 650s handle metal much better. Also where the 595s would pop with too much bass the 650s take everything the stx can throw. My poor ears are the limit now and not the drivers. Thats a first for me. And I'm in love with them.
I find it hard to believe that an amp is the next logical upgrade since the volume is just fine now. But I admit I'm a noob with amps. Read... Never owned one except the essence stx if that counts.
So my question is what is the next upgrade for the best and most efficient upgrade. Amp? DAC? Upgraded cord? Budget is tight now though. I was looking at the jds O2 from reading all the other forums. But I'm at a loss as to whether its worth it or not.

Try the "Unified Xonar Drivers" from Brainbit.
Use Foobar2000 for playing audio files.

Cheap upgrade is to replace the op-amps (operational amplifier) in the STX.
You should be able to get three of them off eBay for $35
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-1x-AD797BR-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-module-ultralow-noise-replace-a-dual-op-/261100530695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccacdec07

Jan 16, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks allot! Ill have to go research those and decide which one I want. Besides replacing those what's the next thing I should be looking at?. I'm currently burning them in with a you tube video of pink noise.
Thanks again for your reply I didn't even remember I could replace the amps on the card.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Thanks allot! Ill have to go research those and decide which one I want. Besides replacing those what's the next thing I should be looking at?. I'm currently burning them in with a you tube video of pink noise.
Thanks again for your reply I didn't even remember I could replace the amps on the card.

Have you disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? (in the bios)

My Sennheiser HD558s needs about 20 hours of break in time.
I like to leave my A/V receiver on over night with the headphone plugged in (under a blanket).

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah my onboard is turned off on bios . Looking at the link you provided me and researching I see that those amps are single channeled. But the supplier you sent me to has them pre soldered together. Do I need to purchase only one of those upgrade packs or two if I want to upgrade my stx ?

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Oh. And is there a guide on replacing the amps?. I've never done it before

http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

That's a good place to start. Replacing opamps isnt hard, just remove the cover and you will see 3 op-amp slots, 2 identical I/V op-amps and 1 buffer op-amp.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Yeah my onboard is turned off on bios . Looking at the link you provided me and researching I see that those amps are single channeled. But the supplier you sent me to has them pre soldered together. Do I need to purchase only one of those upgrade packs or two if I want to upgrade my stx ?

Each of the 3 op-amp slots (DIP-8) in the STX is two channel and the stock op-amps are dual channel (DIP-8)
So there are 6 "op-amp" channels in total on the STX
The AD797BRs are single channel (SOIC) op-amps
So, audjade_chn takes two (used) AD797BR op-amps and solders them on to a dual SOIC to DIP-8 adapter.
You only need to replace the two I/V op-amps for headphone use.
All three op-amps (two I/V & one buffer) slots are used for the RCA outputs on the STX.
Personally I like just replacing all three slots as I use the RCA outputs on my STX.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 10
I went ahead and ordered the ad797BR. 3 of them from the Ebay site you linked me to. im planning on getting some more as well. looking at the LM6172 and the LME49720. i love my bass so thinking of the LM 6172 in the buffer and 2xLME49720 in the I/V amp slots. does that sound good. or whatabout the LM 6172 in the buffer and  2xAD797BR in the I/V....... sooo many choices. I feel overwhelmed.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread thanks for that link. it's amazing.

Also does anyone know the difference between the LMH6622 and the LM6172. Texas instruments website claims the 6622 is higher quality. but in terms of real world performance id love a testimonial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back