Most effective burn-in method
Mar 30, 2008 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fiers

I just got a pair of AKG K 701s which are known to change quite a bit during the course of burn-in. So what I want to find out is what is the best and most efficient way to burn in such a pair of headphones?

I am familiar with the awesome "Burn-in FAQ" which is stickied in this part of the forum, but it does not conclude anything except that you should do it a normal or a little above listening levels.

Right now I have been using a mix of both pink and white noise. I stopped it and listened to them for a couple of hours and they actually sound pretty nice. The treble is already less spiky than it was when they were brand new, however, there is no "night and day" difference. And this is after only 25 hours of different types of noise.

Suggestions and comments more than are welcome!

Cheers,
Frederik

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #2 of 38
I prefer listeningto my phones on my normal listening levels for a couple of month. It could be my ear get accustomed to their sound, or they actually sounded better.

Maybe you just need to spend more time?

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 38
I do frequency sweeps over night for a couple of nights, worked wonders on my A700's!

Mar 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 38
Fancy I should have a blog covering the same question.
Headphone Break-In: Facts and Fiction
Colors of noise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In short, download white and pink noise samples, and load them on our player (iTunes, etc.) I have them so they constantly recycle. Play at a slightly higher than average volume, bass elevated, but with no distortion.

I turn my computer on, turn in iTunes, set the volume, and drop the headphone into a drawer so there's less noise. I leave it on, day and night, and for the K701, a day should do the trick.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 38
What I want to know is:
Does normal listening burn/break headphones in as effectively as pink/white noise? I understand that having noise play through the phones during a few nights will break them in faster, but is it actually better than just using the phones like you normally would? The latter takes longer, of course, but will the end result be the same?

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 38
I listen to them, and when I'm not listening I leave them plugged-in to a radio station, usually classical or jazz since that's what I listen to. Sometimes it's a rock station. And I do this for about a week. I agree with Zillac that part of the break-in is adjusting to the new sound. And unless you damage the phones, I think the end results are identical.

Mar 30, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I want to know is:
Does normal listening burn/break headphones in as effectively as pink/white noise? I understand that having noise play through the phones during a few nights will break them in faster, but is it actually better than just using the phones like you normally would? The latter takes longer, of course, but will the end result be the same?

Just listen to them. Let what happens happen. Nothing more is necessary.

Mar 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 38
I like using my gas range, set on high. I have a nice one that puts out big blue flames and it really does the trick. after a few hours, that ugly white color will be replaced by a gorgeous matte charcoal black, and the drivers will be nice and crispy. good luck....

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like using my gas range, set on high. I have a nice one that puts out big blue flames and it really does the trick. after a few hours, that ugly white color will be replaced by a gorgeous matte charcoal black, and the drivers will be nice and crispy. good luck....

that also works, ive tried it, works amazing, esp when u want a quick "toast"

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
insert disc. hit repeat.

you forgot the last part... listen.
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 38
Something weird happened to me…
I have had my SR-80 for a long time now, and have many many hours on them, I'm sure they are very well burnt in, but I said to my self hell, I should try some pink noise, and I did, and I did noticed that the bass was almost gone after the process, which is weird.
And now with my new K-701 I am afraid to use any pink noise for burn in, so I just listen to music (=

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 38
Oh, that wasn't the pink noise that stole your bass. That was the bass monster...

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 38
i semi-believe in break in with a headphone. but just enjoy your headphone by listening to them. they get better and better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back