Most 'dynamic' Sounding Headphones
Jul 1, 2023 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

monkey4054

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I want to start a list/discussion of the most 'dynamic' sounding headphones. Headphones with the best dynamic ability. Headphones that are able to most accurately recreate large volume swings with visceral impact, authority, and 'fun-factor' shall we say.

This is my list of the most 'dynamic' sounding headphones from what I own or have heard. Please suggest others to add below!

• Abyss 1266 TC (one of the most dynamic, impactful headphones on the market!)
  • Fostex TH900 (most Fostex/Denon/E-MU headphone models fit here as well - it's what they do best!
  • Hifiman HE6 and HE6-SE (Legendary dynamics, impact, and 'slam' on a powerful amp)
  • Audeze LCD-2, 3, and 4 are quite good as well (although I haven't heard all of them)
  • Meze Empyrean is decent. The Elite is more balanced sounding but not bad at all
  • Final D8000 and D8000 Pro are very good too, but it has been a while since I have heard them
  • ZMF Atticus ( I haven't heard a lot of ZMFs' but I think they do dynamics quite well, based on the ones I've heard)
  • Focal headphones (Clear, Utopia, Stellia etc. all known for their superb dynamics)
  • Sony MDR-Z1R (from memory, quite good in this area)
  • Drop Ultrasone Signature X (and other Ultrasones' I assume also, based on this one)

Out of these the TH-900, HE-6, and 1266 are the top 3 most dynamic-sounding headphones I have ever heard.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #3 of 18
I agree Ultrasones in general have very nice impactful dynamics (and they have always been one of my favorite brands because of that), the old school Hifiman circular cups do as well like HE-500 and HE6(SE).

I think something to separate from dynamics is highs and lows. Some hit harder downstairs but some are very fast and aggressive in the highs, adding to that sense of attack of the sound. I don't know if it is only the impact of the low end that qualifies as "dynamics" but I've found headphones that attack in both the highs and the lows give that best sense of dynamic punch. It's that overall energy in attack for me.

I will say I've always wished to sample an Abyss 1266 from what I hear on here about their dynamics but I would never personally drop that much on a single headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #4 of 18
Ultrasounds, any *laughs* but the Performance 860’s can slam while somehow remaining neutral sounding, they’re nuts! I should also mention the Koss SP540 they’ll SLAM but stay warm and full sounding (even at lower volumes), fantastic soundstage for closed cans too.

Jul 1, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 18
I agree Ultrasones in general have very nice impactful dynamics (and they have always been one of my favorite brands because of that), the old school Hifiman circular cups do as well like HE-500 and HE6(SE).

The new Fiio FT3 does well in this regard too.

I think something to separate from dynamics is highs and lows. Some hit harder downstairs but some are very fast and aggressive in the highs, adding to that sense of attack of the sound. I don't know if it is only the impact of the low end that qualifies as "dynamics" but I've found headphones that attack in both the highs and the lows give that best sense of dynamic punch. It's that overall energy.

Also, amps can make a difference. I recently got a Flux FA-10 and for a number of my headphones it heightens the sense of dynamics.

I will say I've always wished to sample an Abyss 1266 from what I hear on here about their dynamics but I would never personally drop that much on a single headphone.
Agreed. Amps definitely make a difference

Jul 1, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 18
Probably the first version with the headband that had the adjustment screws like on the Odin and not the newer suspension headband.
That's the first version. The 2019 version is better in my opinion. The tuning is far from being perfect, but they are very dynamic and the biodynamic driver has a top notch timbre. It sounds amazing with some EQ.

Jul 2, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 18
Counterpoint: if not using parametric EQ, then some of the listed cans by the OG are V shaped or deficient in upper mids AND the top octave. I suppose if you’re using volumes over 100 db those issues fade, but at say 95 db peak they will sound like bass cannons, but lack dynamics in places above that. I speak of the 900, LCD-2, LCD-3, and HFM. The last 3 can be fixed in large part by EQ. Never tried EQ on the 900 II, so not sure but as is, it’s way overdone under 350 Hz.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Ultrasounds, any *laughs* but the Performance 860’s can slam while somehow remaining neutral sounding, they’re nuts! I should also mention the Koss SP540 they’ll SLAM but stay warm and full sounding (even at lower volumes), fantastic soundstage for closed cans too.
The 860 is a good sounding pair from Ultrasone. I had the performance series for a while - 880 and 860. The 880 eventually broke on me as did the 860. The cups eventually snaps off the assembly. No other headphone I've had does that where it literally broke on me. I would not recommend that series to anyone as IMO they have a limited shelf life before they break.

I have a Signature Natural now and it is my favorite Ultrasone I've owned out of so many models. I'd highly recommend it - has all the very best traits of the brand, literally a favorite closed back for me. It is built like a tank unlike the Performance series. The mids are improved vs. where Ultrasones usually sit with mids making them incredible for me since they still retain those very clear and crisp highs and that bass punch but in the Natural it is extremely well controlled and tight. I can't think of a closed back I would choose above this one and it holds true because it is one of my only closed backs.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 18
I heard they could break, never saw pics of it though, I’ll look into these Drop Ultrasones…

Jul 4, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 18
The Drop Ultra SigX is super tempting at only $200. What's the fitment like? As the owner and maintainer of a giant head with Dumbo ears, the earcups look a bit small

Users who are viewing this thread

Back