Most disappointing headphone purchase
Aug 4, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #76 of 317
HD280pro, thinnest sound ever
E3 - wait...I think I hear some bass...nope, false alarm

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #78 of 317
ATH-W5000: Not that disappointin really, but after a raved review I thought that the W5000 will trash the L3000. To my ears, the W5000 is on par with the W2002 in sound quality but not on the look & built departments. I later sold them to Kuma and hold on the W2002.

Sony MDR-SA5K: Found them to be too dried and analytical for my taste. I used to be a big fan of the CD3K and as a replacement, the SA5K was not as musical.

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #79 of 317
Senn HD497. Certainly not a bad sounding headphone, but my first quality cans were SR80's, the HD497 was my second. After being used to the Grado sound the Senn's were just very boring, kinda...soulless.

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #80 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
AKG K-81 DJ! Too much upper bass coloration, muddy mids and recessed highs. Official "head-squeezer"
rolleyes.gif

They are simply pulverised by my mid-fi Denon AH-D550 and almost hi-fi Philips SHP895.

Too much hype...

Really? That is a surprise, now I'm tempted to re-purchase my SHP-895...

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #81 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
Hey guys. Just wanted to know what headphones you guys bought that really disappointed you? For me, it was the Bose Triports. I got them because I fell for the Bose marketting and the sales person at the store. I picked them up right before I was leaving for Canada from the States so didn't even get a chance to return it. Back then, I didn't know jack about high quality headphones and the guy managed to convince me the Triports were the best thing on the market. Hey, the Triports even have the price to prove it! So that's my story...spending $150 dollars on a $30 dollar headphone. What's your story?

The Bose Triports should never be someone's most dissappointing purchase simply because there are just too many opportunities to try these headphones for an extended period of time before buying them.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #82 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
The Bose Triports should never be someone's most dissappointing purchase simply because there are just too many opportunities to try these headphones for an extended period of time before buying them.

Oh God no! I thought you were gone!

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #83 of 317
akg k26p

Bought them after a thread on here hyped them up (and also on headroom).
Ugh, massive bloated bass and low mids, it sounds like a mud slide of sound. On top of that, its painful to wear after a while. Utter crap.

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #84 of 317
I would say HD595, but i need to listen to a few more pairs first. Mine aren't Bose Triport-bad, but they need some combination of amp, equalization and an additional resistor inline.

I ain't mad tho, i got mine so cheap I know i can sell on craigslist easilyy (take them out of the head-fi trade/sale pool, kind of like natural selection)

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #85 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
akg k26p

Bought them after a thread on here hyped them up (and also on headroom).
Ugh, massive bloated bass and low mids, it sounds like a mud slide of sound. On top of that, its painful to wear after a while. Utter crap.

i agree

Aug 4, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #88 of 317
Sony MDR-V600 : truly and obviously a POS headphone as a previous user said...sold

Shure E2 : No bass and a PITA to use. I think buds like this are just for some and not others, with me being the others...sold

HD201--For $20 your expectations should be low, but I'm still shocked people say good things about this phone. About the thinnest sounding headphone I've ever heard...reminded me of listening to a Yorx brand stereo when I was a kid...gave away

And actually so far I'm somewhat disappointed with my 770/80s. In an attempt to avoid what I read are "boring" headphones (Senn 650, etc.), I bought these. I'm finding them just not detailed enough to satisfy though. Will continue to burn them in and give them a nice long audition, and may upgrade my amp--but if they continue to disappoint I'll either sell them or darth-beyer them in the hopes of getting the detail up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back