Most detailed IEM in the world?
Jan 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #31 of 32
My votes go to:
On the cheap: Phonak PFE - really doesn't hide any information
High end universal: Westone W3 or UM3X - will show you details in the songs that you will never notice with any other high end universal.

I've only used the UM3X of the Westones, not the W3, but I've seen it described basically the same in terms of detail. I have used the IE8, SE530, and Triple.Fi too, and none compare to the Westones in terms of shear detail and making heard what no other earphone will show. I would say that short maybe the PFE, although it's at a different price point that doesn't quite holistically compete with the top end universals. However, the driver itself is very revealing.

I haven't used any customs, so I can't comment.

As for the RE0 and ER4S, both are quite good, the RE0 light on dynamics and has trouble creating solid definition of note on the top end(despite sensitivity). The RE4S is relatively laid back and textured. It is a good reference product, but in terms of raw detail, something like the PFE will show you more information in the recording. The UM3X is perhaps less analytical then the PFE from a technical standpoint, but it offers broader functionality, greater energy, greater dynamics, and more texture to the notes. The UM3X is less thick in note then the ER4S, but you get a very similar feel yet with stronger dynamics and energy like the PFE.

In all, the UM3X wins. ...or perhaps the W3, depending on the kind of frequency response you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back