Most comfortable open portable ?
Apr 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jim McC

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone use a portable all the time, even at home? What is the most comfortable OPEN portable you've worn? I'm about to give up my search for a full size, circumaural, open can with LOTS of ear space, under $100. Instead I'm considering getting a comfortable, open portable, even though it will only be used at home, plugged into my stereo's headphone jack. I'm thinking of the Senn. PX-100. Is this pretty comfortable, with little pressure on the ears? I tried the Porta Pro and didn't like it. And I don't want a clip-on like the KSC-75. Thanks for any recommendations.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 20
I've found PX100 to be very comfortable. It's very light and I actually easily forget that I'm wearing any headphones when I'm using them. The pressure on the ears is very minimal.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 20
I like my PX200s so I guess the PX100 is a pretty good choice.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 20
Hey, Jim, if you don't want to give up on your original search for full-size open headphones under $100, why not grab a pair of MB Quart QP55x from the ebay liquidation sale: ear space like a Beyer, even better comfort, and SQ at least on a level with an SR-60 or 80 for around $45 shipped. I've reviewed them around here, you can find it with a quick search. They will crush a PX100.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Porta Pro and didn't like it.

Did you find them uncomfortable somehow, or are you commenting on their sound? I have had PortaPros for years and seriously almost forget they're on when I use them. They are among the lightest headphones that can be found, so I wonder if maybe the foam pads were an issue for you...

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 20
Yeah another vote for the PX100, ultra comfortable and very wellpriced for the sound.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Jaska, I found them slightly uncomfortable on the ears. The adjustable side pads didn't even touch the sides of my head, no matter which adjustment I used. So that feature was worthless for me. That must have put more pressure on my ears than should have been.
Facelvega, is that MB Quart a closed or open can? Because I'd rather stick to an open can I think.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, Jim, if you don't want to give up on your original search for full-size open headphones under $100, why not grab a pair of MB Quart QP55x from the ebay liquidation sale: ear space like a Beyer, even better comfort, and SQ at least on a level with an SR-60 or 80 for around $45 shipped. I've reviewed them around here, you can find it with a quick search. They will crush a PX100.

One of these days you're gonna talk me into buying some quarts . . . .

My headphone purchases are getting out of hand right now, though. Way too many "Hey, I bet i can get that for $20" thoughts on eBay, and way too much bidding success. Maybe when my K340's finally arrive i'll be able to lay off for a while.

Oh yeah, the OP won't do ebay, so I'll offer this url:

http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/co...MB-Quart-QP55X

Or the QP220 for $68:

http://www.electronicsbonanza.com/co...sku=8793&src=g

I have no idea how these compare. Just that facelvega likes 'em, and i trust his ears.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 20
Ericj, thanks for the links. I can't find any info. on the QP55X thru a search here and on Yahoo. And they're not even on the MBQUART.com website. I can't tell much by that lousy photo on Ebay either. Does anyone know where I can find more info, such as: Are they open or closed, ohms, inside depth and diameter of cups? Thanks.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 20
001.png

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 20
Another vote for the PX100 - very light on the ears, very well made, very nice sound. While I loved the KSC's, they broke within one week of purchasing them.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 20
I'm gonna give it to the PortaPro.

Or the KSC75 with my headband mod.

I found the PX100's uncomfortable after long usage. The edge of the grills seemed to drill into my ears after awhile.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ericj, thanks for the links. I can't find any info. on the QP55X thru a search here and on Yahoo. And they're not even on the MBQUART.com website. I can't tell much by that lousy photo on Ebay either. Does anyone know where I can find more info, such as: Are they open or closed, ohms, inside depth and diameter of cups? Thanks.

Well, our man in Berlin tells us that they have Beyer sized earpads - this means that the pads are roughly 4" OD and roughly 2.5" ID -- but remember this is the measurement at the flange. Since they are rounded off where they meet your head, the effective ID is closer to 3". By those dimensions, they look like the pads are about as tall as beyer pads, which is about 1".

The QP-55x are fully open. that site has some closed quart headphones too, but I know nothing about them.

The Quart Phone line is one of the many obscure studio-oriented headphone lines, in this case made by a well-known brand. Some of my favorite cans are Fostexes, which are also unknown cans by a known brand.

There are also good studio headphones made by unknown brands - I have a musician friend who swears by Samson headphones, saying they are the best $50 can buy. And then there's the Equation cans I've been evangelizing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back