Most comfortable inexpensive 'phones
Dec 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arcanemethods

New Head-Fier
I'm asking for headphone recommendations where the primary criteria are comfort and low cost in that order.  I need low non-linear distortion but the frequency response matters little so long as there are no absurdly deep nulls.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 9
Dec 24, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 9
UE6000 is super comfortable. Good sound quality. Can be had for around 75 bucks now. My only critique was the rolled off highs so it didn't work for me, but a lot of people like it here, and it's a quality product. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks, guys.  Your recommendations are intriguing but I guess I should have emphasized low-cost more.  I've developed tech that accurately and repeatably measures the performance of 'phones of all types right at the eardrum which makes inter-phone transformations easy.  Basically I can make anything that's linear sound pretty exactly like anything else that's linear.  Distortion is an intractable problem. 

That being said, the sound quality of what I'm looking for is pretty irrelevant as long as it's linear and today's incredibly strong permanent magnets pretty much give that across the board (and my measurements back that up.)  What counts to me right now is comfort on the cheap.  I know most folks here tend to have little experience with cheap but I'm hoping some ran across cheap cans that felt absolutely great but just didn't cut the mustard on sound performance.  That I can fix within some pretty broad limits but comfort is a tougher nut to crack.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Um, the Pioneer SE-A1000 is only $54. 
smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SE-A1000-Over-Ear-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B0033PROOY/

Oh I see, you meant distortion in this case.  Okay then.

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6 of 9
@warrenpchi: thanks, got a pair on order based on the fan thread you linked me to as a target to measure for use as an emulatee.  Something cheaper yet remains of interest as an emulator.  The Phillips SHL9705A/28 on-ear phones at $25 come pretty close to what I'm looking for but even cheaper yet is of interest.

I know emulatee isn't a word but it should be.  :)

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 9
  @warrenpchi: thanks, got a pair on order based on the fan thread you linked me to as a target to measure for use as an emulatee.  Something cheaper yet remains of interest as an emulator.  The Phillips SHL9705A/28 on-ear phones at $25 come pretty close to what I'm looking for but even cheaper yet is of interest.

Awesome!  That unit also seems to have quite a few modding possibilities, outside of my simple headband mod.  I haven't tried altering its sonic properties yet though.

The Phillips SHL9705A/28 on-ear phones at $25 come pretty close to what I'm looking for but even cheaper yet is of interest.

It's funny that you mention that unit.  I've had it sitting in my Amazon wish list for almost a year, because I am an Android user.  I still haven't picked it up, but at least one other member here (Magick Man) has it and says that it is quite good.

I know emulatee isn't a word but it should be.  :)

Lol, it should, shouldn't it?  Makes perfect sense to me! 
biggrin.gif

LOL, he's talking about this:  http://www.amazon.com/Creative-EF0060-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000ZJZ7OA/

It's a bassy - albeit popular - headphone around these parts.  It's made by Fostex. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back