Most Comfortable Headphones
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #62 of 65
All Focals from Elegia to Utopia. Keep forgetting I'm donning headphone when I use one of those. :o2smile:

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #63 of 65
So true. I fell asleep so many times wearing mine. Until that one final time when they fell off my head while I was asleep and I stepped on them once I woke up.

I broke my original pair falling asleep in them, I guess at some point in the night I rolled over and snapped one of the earcups off :frowning2: They still worked but I had to like lay them on my head and have gravity keep them on. Eventually one of the drivers died. Tossed them.

Randomly checked eBay one day and a childrens hospital in I think Dorset England was running a charity and selling a pair of 590s in the original box. I got in a bidding war with some guy and bid a bit more then I wanted but I got my new pair of 590s <3

Sep 25, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #64 of 65
Hello everyone :)
I am a bit of a comfort freak. I've tried numerous headphones and I am yet to find one that I can confidently say is completely comfortable.
Cans I currently own and use:
Q701, AD900x, Fostex t50rp mk3 w/hm5 pads, DT880, HD598, SHP9500, Shure SR440. Out of these, the top 3 for comfort would be the dt880, ad900x(only after 3 hrs or so does it cause issues, Q701(sometimes v comfy, other times cant stand it, no idea how that works).

I am acquiring a Sony MDR1R from a friend soon and the B&O H6 in a couple weeks. I am hoping these will be comfortable and I can use them as my portables!

I do wear glasses so that definitely affects it. However, it still surprises me every time someone says in a review "I dont even notice these are on". I am yet to ever experience that or even close.

In your experience, rank the most comfortable headphones you've tried/owned?
In my experience, comfort is so subjective and often depends on all manners of factors. The biggest ones are my immediate environment and use case. So this might get a bit long.

For most indoor casual use, my Hyland Audio Jupiter One is very comfortable. This pair has the weakest clamp among everything I have, and while I haven’t weighed them, they may be the lightest. It also has wide, circular cups similar to Focal’s offerings.

But when I am working from home, I do a lot of Zoom meetings. Initially, I thought I’d be fine with the Jupiter, but I ran into a different kind of discomfort: I found myself constantly messing with the volume because not all meeting participants know how to properly speak into a mic, and/or they may use subpar microphones, thereby not sounding clear and loud. Always messing with the volume and bringing it up to levels I never reach when not working made me deeply uncomfortable mentally, so now I use highly isolating IEMs in the form of Etymotic IEMs. That way, I can keep the overall volume low and still get a high degree of perceived loudness because of the high degree of seal and isolation.

Going back to clamp, though, I do not have anything against a tight clamp. Now that the weather is cooling down, I shall be bringing back the Focal Elegia into rotation and my main again. It is closed back, and has a lot more clamp than the Jupiter One, but the stock pads are quite comfortable. i would describe them as plush. I could wear them for more than 2-3 hours if it weren’t for the heat buildup…but they act as good ear mufflers in the cold, and my home doesn’t have the most effective heating.

And here is a bit of a personal quirk. Like I mentioned just now, I have nothing against a strong clamp. I recently acquired a used HD6XX and a new HE400SE. Both have stronger clamps than the Jupiter, the HD6XX being far stronger and pretty much at closed-back levels. But…I still like them. They kinda fill this odd combination of wanting the clamp of a closed-back but the open ventilation of an open-back.

So, the way I see it is that when people say "I don’t even notice these are on,” I think it’s one of two reasons: because something fits well enough that the tactile sensation of headphones resting on the head does not distract them from whatever it is that they are doing, or because they have a good first impression of the fit, but haven’t experienced any pinna pain or heat buildup just yet.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #65 of 65
In my experience, comfort is so subjective and often depends on all manners of factors. The biggest ones are my immediate environment and use case. So this might get a bit long.

For most indoor casual use, my Hyland Audio Jupiter One is very comfortable. This pair has the weakest clamp among everything I have, and while I haven’t weighed them, they may be the lightest. It also has wide, circular cups similar to Focal’s offerings.

But when I am working from home, I do a lot of Zoom meetings. Initially, I thought I’d be fine with the Jupiter, but I ran into a different kind of discomfort: I found myself constantly messing with the volume because not all meeting participants know how to properly speak into a mic, and/or they may use subpar microphones, thereby not sounding clear and loud. Always messing with the volume and bringing it up to levels I never reach when not working made me deeply uncomfortable mentally, so now I use highly isolating IEMs in the form of Etymotic IEMs. That way, I can keep the overall volume low and still get a high degree of perceived loudness because of the high degree of seal and isolation.

Going back to clamp, though, I do not have anything against a tight clamp. Now that the weather is cooling down, I shall be bringing back the Focal Elegia into rotation and my main again. It is closed back, and has a lot more clamp than the Jupiter One, but the stock pads are quite comfortable. i would describe them as plush. I could wear them for more than 2-3 hours if it weren’t for the heat buildup…but they act as good ear mufflers in the cold, and my home doesn’t have the most effective heating.

And here is a bit of a personal quirk. Like I mentioned just now, I have nothing against a strong clamp. I recently acquired a used HD6XX and a new HE400SE. Both have stronger clamps than the Jupiter, the HD6XX being far stronger and pretty much at closed-back levels. But…I still like them. They kinda fill this odd combination of wanting the clamp of a closed-back but the open ventilation of an open-back.

So, the way I see it is that when people say "I don’t even notice these are on,” I think it’s one of two reasons: because something fits well enough that the tactile sensation of headphones resting on the head does not distract them from whatever it is that they are doing, or because they have a good first impression of the fit, but haven’t experienced any pinna pain or heat buildup just yet.
For ages I avoided getting any Etys just based off all the ear-rape comments. Finally broke down and got a ER2XR when they were on sale. Man, they slipped into my ears like they were meant to be there. Lots of complaints about the high clamp of Senns HD6** style headbands, but I absolutely love the firm grip - so much so, that the lack of clamp on my HEXS is extremely annoying.
So, yeah, comfort is very subjective

Users who are viewing this thread

Back