Most Comfortable Headphones
Apr 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

SirBashALot

Head-Fier
Hello everyone :)
I am a bit of a comfort freak. I've tried numerous headphones and I am yet to find one that I can confidently say is completely comfortable.
Cans I currently own and use:
Q701, AD900x, Fostex t50rp mk3 w/hm5 pads, DT880, HD598, SHP9500, Shure SR440. Out of these, the top 3 for comfort would be the dt880, ad900x(only after 3 hrs or so does it cause issues, Q701(sometimes v comfy, other times cant stand it, no idea how that works).

I am acquiring a Sony MDR1R from a friend soon and the B&O H6 in a couple weeks. I am hoping these will be comfortable and I can use them as my portables!

I do wear glasses so that definitely affects it. However, it still surprises me every time someone says in a review "I dont even notice these are on". I am yet to ever experience that or even close.

In your experience, rank the most comfortable headphones you've tried/owned?

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 65
I sold it (and sometimes sorry I did, but I have to much stuff), but the Senn 650 is the most comfortable headphone I've owned.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 65
I have tried many headphones and they all had some comfort issues. But now i use the Steelseries arctis 3 and these are so comfortable ounce i put them on i never have to worry about comfort issues again. And they sound fantastic with a very nice balanced sound. I know you want a headphone recommendation but this headset is a fantastic set of cans.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 65
The Koss Porta Pro is the most comfortable headphone I have worn, no contest. The headband doesn't even touch my head and the pads don't even touch my glasses. Plus you can adjust the clamping force with three settings. The Koss KTXPRO1 and Sennheiser PX 100-II are almost as comfortable and don't touch my glasses either, but their headbands still touch my head.

Some on-ear headphones can be uncomfortable, but not these three, at least for me.

Circumaural headphones can't compare in terms of comfort because you always feel the headband and pads pressing against your head. (And I have owned many of the well-known ones. See my profile.)

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 65
In my case, the most comfortable over-ear headphones that I have ever worn are the Sennheiser HD800s, which are also excellent for gaming. Regarding portables, the most comfortables for me were the V-moda XS, though, they are on-ear.

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 65
Sony z7 and Beyer DT series I have found very comfortable.

+1 for the Porta Pro, but only when my hair is short .

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 65
I always found the Porta Pro very comfortable. Used to be my go to for biking (light, for under a bike helmet, let around in, which I think is important is you're in traffic).

Apr 23, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 65
I actually came across a comment about that in the latest review at the bottom of the site. It's never happened to me, though. I have the headband adjusted so it goes over my head without touching it.

ah, I'm rather bigheaded, can't even attempt that lol, but hair's short now anyway

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #14 of 65

In your experience, rank the most comfortable headphones you've tried/owned?

1. HD800, HD700
2. K7-- and K6-- series
3. HD600/650/580 (Metal arms bent to reduce clamp at bottom of earcups)
4. HE400i (and by extension, HE500 - all HiFiMans with the square top headband)
5. Beyer DT770/880/990 and Superlux HD330/660 (metal headband bent to reduce clamp)
6. Audezee LCD-2/3/4/XC (needs high back chair with headrest)

Q701(sometimes v comfy, other times cant stand it, no idea how that works).

It has a self-adjusting headband, so the manner you put them on and pull them down against the top of your head will affect comfort. Pre- and post-haircut comfort might also be different without adjusting how you put them on.

I do wear glasses so that definitely affects it.

I wear glasses but it never interfered with even the least comfortable headphones I tried. I only wear frames with thin arms wrapped in hypoallergenic plastic that bow out around the temples, as my acidic sweat will cause metal to rust and start scraping my skin off.

However, it still surprises me every time someone says in a review "I dont even notice these are on". I am yet to ever experience that or even close.

Headphone ergonomics are affected by too many factors.

1. Head dimensions

2. Hair thickness (which also interacts with head dimensions, so sometimes thicker can work for some people for some headphones)

3. Headphone adjustments, and not just the obvious adjustments. Like bending the metal arms on the HD580/600/650, or clamping headphones on some books with a total width slightly wider than the user's head.

4. Cable weight/stiffness

I am a bit of a comfort freak. I've tried numerous headphones and I am yet to find one that I can confidently say is completely comfortable.
Cans I currently own and use:
Q701, AD900x, Fostex t50rp mk3 w/hm5 pads, DT880, HD598, SHP9500, Shure SR440. Out of these, the top 3 for comfort would be the dt880, ad900x(only after 3 hrs or so does it cause issues, Q701(sometimes v comfy, other times cant stand it, no idea how that works).

I am acquiring a Sony MDR1R from a friend soon and the B&O H6 in a couple weeks. I am hoping these will be comfortable and I can use them as my portables!

Judging by your list I wouldn't be too positive on the MDR1R and H6, or any portable for that matter. Apart from a few like the K551, they're designed to clamp a bit more to keep them on your head even if you're rushing to the subway or whatever, plus that helps the seal - locks out more ambient noise, compresses the earpads to keep more of the bass more audible.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 65
It's a really individual thing, as you note. I have the Hifiman HE-1000 v1 and HE-560. Sound great, but I don't find rush comfortable at all (most do). And I find the 560 more comfortable that the HEK. I think I'm really sensitive to weight; I get a"hot spot" (I'm bald).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back