Most comfortable headphone?
Aug 11, 2015 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

scandolous0

New Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm looking for a comfortable headphone for home use that can last several hours on my head without my ears getting too hot or head hurting from the clamping force. I prefer open, full sized headphone. I'm using O2 amp, but I could replace it if necessary. Comfortable is key,I don't need sound or isolation. I have a fairly big head and big ears so many headphones don't fit me. If possible, something that's neutral and accurate for mixing would be good too. My budget is around 300-400$, and I can buy used if necessary. I'm currently deciding between HD 600 and DT 880, still trying to find a place near my home to test them. Any other recommendations would be great. I used to use m50 and it fitted my ears fairly well, but the top exerted too much pressure on my head, and it clamped fairly tight, so my ears got hot after just 15-30 minutes. Thanks for your time.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Comfort is such an individual thing, that it is really difficult to advise anyone on "most comfortable" headphones other than a headphone is often viewed as comfortable or uncomfortable.

Might also look into the AKG Q701 and the rest of the K7 open headphone series. :)

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 12
Although not the HD 600s, I have tried the HD 558 headphones and found them to be very comfy. After wearing my Shure SHR940's for a while, even though they have comfortable padding (+ importantly neutral) I feel I need a break after about two hours because of the heat, as cel41 said it's mainly subjective so your right in looking for a place to try'em first though. 

Aug 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 12
  Hi guys I'm looking for a comfortable headphone for home use that can last several hours on my head without my ears getting too hot or head hurting from the clamping force. I prefer open, full sized headphone. I'm using O2 amp, but I could replace it if necessary. Comfortable is key,I don't need sound or isolation. I have a fairly big head and big ears so many headphones don't fit me. If possible, something that's neutral and accurate for mixing would be good too. My budget is around 300-400$, and I can buy used if necessary. I'm currently deciding between HD 600 and DT 880, still trying to find a place near my home to test them. Any other recommendations would be great. I used to use m50 and it fitted my ears fairly well, but the top exerted too much pressure on my head, and it clamped fairly tight, so my ears got hot after just 15-30 minutes. Thanks for your time.

If you switch the earpads on the m50 to velour ones, your ears won't overheat as much. The open Sennheiser circumaural headphones are probably the most comfortable headphones available. They don't produce as much bass impact though as a closed headphone like the ATH-M50. If you can find a place to listen to some headphones, you might decide the much less expensive HD598 is good enough for you.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Comfort is such an individual thing, that it is really difficult to advise anyone on "most comfortable" headphones other than a headphone is often viewed as comfortable or uncomfortable.

Might also look into the AKG Q701 and the rest of the K7 open headphone series.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as full-size cans go ... and IME, of course ... The K701 are light (mass), but very large and BULKY (e.g., as you reach reach over to a shelf, the 701's frame hits something preventing freedom of movement). Next, there's that leather top-band with the hot-spot issue. Also those velour pads ... after a while, as they get soiled, they get very "gross" feeling (which is UNcomfortable).
Sennheisers are much better in the regards mentioned above. I've heard that the HD700 (which I don't own) are perhaps the best, as are some of the new Sonys. New Shure full-size with Alcantara Ear Pads for SRH1540 are reported to be very comfortable.

Aug 12, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 12
I realize that comfort is very subjective. However, it's very hard to find a beyerdynamic or sennheiser distributor near my home so I just want to make sure I know all the headphones I need to test before I do drive there. Guitarcenter and Sam ash only have low-end headphones for some reason. As for AKG K/Q series, I might add AKG to the test list.  Might add the shure 1540 too. Is the HD 598/558 same design as 518. That headphone was fairly decent in terms of comfort, though same issues ears get hot after roughly 1 hour, the top feels heavy on my head. Also, if I do decide to get HD 600, my O2 amp has enough juice to power it right?

Aug 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't have any of the current model Sennheiser open circumaural headphones, but did have some of the past models. Those were very comfortable and never made my ears overheat. My ears overheat quite rapidly with closed circumaural headphones, which is why I have been using IEMs lately when I want isolation. 

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 12
  Hi guys I'm looking for a comfortable headphone for home use that can last several hours on my head without my ears getting too hot or head hurting from the clamping force. 

I have the HD580 which I'm pretty sure use the same pads as the HD600, and the pad height is fine, but they are somewhat small front to back, so they sit weird on my ears.  They're fine overall, but they sit weird.  Too far back sits on the front of my ear, too far forward sits on the back of my ear.  My HD558 are similar, but I can kind of "hook" them behind my ears so they fit better.  My HD580 have fluffier pads though, the HD558 are a bit flatter, so maybe that's the only difference.

HD558 also has a solid clamp.  It's not a killer, but you'll see enough people notice it that they mention it in their posts.

DT990 pads fit me great.  Has more clamp than HD580, less than HD558.  DT880 pads are a little shallower than DT990, probably due to the extra foam in there.

I'd think more about the AKG 701 sound at first than their comfort.  They're great at what they do, but they don't sound like what most people probably think headphones sound like.   

Aug 13, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 12
The HD 600 and DT 880 are both a safe choice.  I don't think anyone finds them extremely uncomfortable, and most find them comfortable.  But like others have said, it's different for everyone.

On an unrelated note, what is your source?  I ask out of curiosity since you mentioned your amp but no source.

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 12
So I guess those 2 are as comfortable as headphone can get? I tried them both, they're really good, but i'm concerned about the ears overheating issue because I can't really test it. If only I could use earphones lol, but my ears get itchy if I get a good seal for some reason. My source is going to be my old scarlett  interface that I used for recording way back, running through my computer. Used to use ipod classic for the storage but lost it a few months ago. Hopefully the audio box works.

Aug 15, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Usually headphones with leather pads will peel. Have had that happen to my Jmoney leather pads on my Denons. Pads seem to get hot after long sessions as well.

I remember trying some BOSE QuietComfort headphones at Best Buy which i felt were the most comfortable I have ever worn.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 12
Usually headphones with leather pads will peel. Have had that happen to my Jmoney leather pads on my Denons. Pads seem to get hot after long sessions as well.

I remember trying some BOSE QuietComfort headphones at Best Buy which i felt were the most comfortable I have ever worn.

Real leather or pleather?  I know pleather will peel, especially cheaper pleather like Audio Technica's and HiFiMan's (not counting Focus pads, they seemed much better built).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back