Most comfortable, detailed headphones under $300?
Oct 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 34
Regarding the AD900s and emphasizing the shallow earcups previously mentioned by Amarphael, I wanted to add that if your ears stick out to any degree like mine, then chances are that they are going to be right up against the driver and rather uncomfortable. There has been some discussion in other threads saying that if this is the case, wearing the headphones as far forward as possible tends to help. I tried this and it did help a little, but still found that my ears were touching the driver and still hurting after extended use.

Stuffing some rolled up tissue (you can use rubber tubing too) under the rear half of the pads to deepen the earcups has helped a lot with comfort and for me at least, hasn't really changed the sound too much (look up phat pad mod). So discomfort issues can be fixed with a simple mod.

Regarding portability - in addition to the open design and lack of isolation, these cans are huge, the fit is fairly loose and they can fall off fairly easily. Also, you're going to have a lot of cable to manage using it on the go.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #17 of 34

They are well built but I wouldn't rate them more than a 7/10 which is still very good.  They have a mix of plastic and metal parts so its half and half.  But, the set is just magnificent in every way.  Excellent performer, well rounded set that is very very comfortable.  Detachable cable is a real plus as you can then use any cable you want.  For $179+ Shipping its a best buy right up there with the HD 598 for entry level.  Someone recently called the HD 598 a gateway headphone, what a great way to describe them.  Both are gateway drugs, lol.  The 003 for closed back needs and the HD 598 for open back.  

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 34
Wow I had no idea the DT880 was that detailed. I thought it was a bassy monitor. If you could have both at the same price, which would you go with: DT880 or K701? Can you just give me an idea of the sound signature the DT880 have? And is any version that much different from the others (different impedances).

Sorry for threadjacking, but this sparked my interest in getting those for christmas.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #25 of 34

Quote:
Wow I had no idea the DT880 was that detailed. I thought it was a bassy monitor. If you could have both at the same price, which would you go with: DT880 or K701? Can you just give me an idea of the sound signature the DT880 have? And is any version that much different from the others (different impedances).

Sorry for threadjacking, but this sparked my interest in getting those for christmas.

Beyer DT-880 is far from bassy. It is very much neutral (both), somewhat sibilant trebles (250) but that can be fixed with amps (NEED for 600) and possibly cables. The 600 Ohm will generally have a less recessed mid than the 250 Ohm and less sharp trebles but will need an OTL tube amp to drive it as well give it a bit of warmth. K701/2 is a great monitor, it has a gigantic soundstage, more detail on the highs, recessed mids and punchless bass (it's still detailed, its just got no punch).

I have both but if I had to keep one... It would be the Beyer DT-880 because with a change of earpads (J$) you can go from basically a K701/2 sound (not the same but fairly close) to a more fun sound with more bass and better mids while still keeping the details. In the end, the DT-880 is a better all arounder while the K701/2 will make specific generals (live female vocals) sound amazing.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #26 of 34
the AKGs are just too big and clunky for me to consider comfortable.  While they have almost no clamp at rest on my ears nicely, its like a comfortable lead weight on my head...it gets automatically excluded from any debate about comfortable headphones for me :)

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
I'm looking for something that makes the music sound extremely clear/transparent, as well as very articulate.

You'd definitely want some kind of electrostatic set, then...the question is, can you find one within your budget? (You're pretty much at the mercy of the used market for now.)

If that vintage back electret set hasn't been sold in the B/S/T section yet, you might want to look into that...my only concern there is that I have no idea how comfortable it is and probably won't know for a long time since it's a very rare model.

Oct 24, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:

You'd definitely want some kind of electrostatic set, then...the question is, can you find one within your budget? (You're pretty much at the mercy of the used market for now.)

If that vintage back electret set hasn't been sold in the B/S/T section yet, you might want to look into that...my only concern there is that I have no idea how comfortable it is and probably won't know for a long time since it's a very rare model.

Definitely cannot afford that!
eek.gif

Any headphones that are clear and articulate around $300 or less (non electrostatic)?

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
Definitely cannot afford that!
eek.gif

Any headphones that are clear and articulate around $300 or less (non electrostatic)?

You're saying you can't afford these? They might be worth a shot, given that the thread about these rare Toshiba back electrets has one person mentioning that they sound a lot like a Stax SR-X Mk3, which is a true electrostatic design. I'm just worried about the comfort, given that it's a vintage set.

I wish I could help you with the decision between the AD900 and the DT880, but I'm just not the sort of person who will outright vouch for or against gear I've never heard. The most I can do is speculate, and most of that speculation is on the AD900 since I once owned the AD700 (which was very comfortable, by the way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back