Most comfortable closed-back headphones under $1000?
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CubeApril

New Head-Fier
I've got some somewhat unusual requirements and I'm hoping folks can point me in the right direction.

For like... a decade or so now, I've used my DT-770s as my primary work headphones. And while they are supremely comfortable, they sound only... fine, and the absurdly long cable is a huge PITA because I work on a treadmill desk. I have the cable folded over itself multiple times, and it constantly gets caught on things, etc. But, the DT-770s are crazy comfortable and the velour pads do a pretty decent job of breathing, especially since I can get sweaty from wearing headphones for 6+ hours a day where I'm walking quite a bit.

I've tried the DT-700 Pro Xs and while the detachable cable is perfect since it's easy to replace with a custom length from Hart/Audiophile Ninja/etc., the earpads aren't nearly as comfortable for me. The opening is a bit smaller than the DT-770s and so push a bit against the top and side of my ears, which I'm annoyingly sensitive to.

Anyways, long story short, do folks have recommendations for really comfortable closed-back headphones, with a detachable cable and wide and breathable ear pads? I prefer a somewhat V-shaped sound, but it's not that important since it's plugged into a computer and I can mess with the audio via EQ if I need to.

Trying to keep things under $1000 if possible. Really appreciate people's advice!

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 8
I recommend the Shure SRH 1540s. Easily driven, best closed back I've personally listened to (and I've heard a lot of em), not too expensive (around $500 new, prob more like $300 used). Removable cables, solid build quality. Comfort wise they use very comfortable perforated alcantara pads and lightweight. Only comfort complaint is that if you are bald/have very short hair, the headband might become a nuisance after several hours. This is moddable however.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Dark Clark AEON 2 Noire, neutral but fun sound, super comfortable.

Jul 26, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 8
The most comfortable closed-back headphones I've used are the Meze Liric, they're a bit pricy tho, 2000€ new or around 1500€-ish as used.

But oh are they comfy.

Jul 27, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 8
DCA/MrSpeakers makes extremely comfortable closed back headphones.

Jul 28, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Agree with the other DCA/MrSpeakers recommendations here. I just got my Aeon Closed and they're the most comfortable headphones that I have. Also great value for the price, $400 dollars on Drop during the presale. You can also wait for the Sundaras Closed which are coming out in August at the same price point. Though comfort wise, the shape and clamping force of the sundaras just wasn't for me.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 8
I've got some somewhat unusual requirements and I'm hoping folks can point me in the right direction.

For like... a decade or so now, I've used my DT-770s as my primary work headphones. And while they are supremely comfortable, they sound only... fine, and the absurdly long cable is a huge PITA because I work on a treadmill desk. I have the cable folded over itself multiple times, and it constantly gets caught on things, etc. But, the DT-770s are crazy comfortable and the velour pads do a pretty decent job of breathing, especially since I can get sweaty from wearing headphones for 6+ hours a day where I'm walking quite a bit.

I've tried the DT-700 Pro Xs and while the detachable cable is perfect since it's easy to replace with a custom length from Hart/Audiophile Ninja/etc., the earpads aren't nearly as comfortable for me. The opening is a bit smaller than the DT-770s and so push a bit against the top and side of my ears, which I'm annoyingly sensitive to.

Anyways, long story short, do folks have recommendations for really comfortable closed-back headphones, with a detachable cable and wide and breathable ear pads? I prefer a somewhat V-shaped sound, but it's not that important since it's plugged into a computer and I can mess with the audio via EQ if I need to.

Trying to keep things under $1000 if possible. Really appreciate people's advice!

Which version do you use?

B/C some people have the 250 ohm, and they find the switch to 80 ohm as more enjoyable.

Custom Cans UK would be able to assist you I bet if you seek more "hi-fi" 770.

IIRC, they can plop in 600ohm drivers with their new copper ring and I guess it would come with the bass reflex pieces or use the same ones that come with the dt770 along with any cable really.

Not to mention the coolmax pads for 1770 work with 770.

So it would be an upgrade with same comfort.

When one uses the word supremely comfortable, then going elsewhere usually will lead to a runaround back to the original. T5p. II or 3 is an option as well, but I would imagine a finely tuned 770 which you have can be made better by JFunk and it would be not be a fortune.

IMO and YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back