Most beautiful female voice?
May 30, 2006 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 182

Wmcmanus

President treasurer secretary and sole member of the Cayman Islands Head-Fi Club.
I'm sure this has been done before, but rather than digging around for a similar thread, I thought I'd start a fresh one.

By 'beautiful' I mean whatever 'beautiful' means to you (but remember, we're talking about their voices!).

Give your "Top 5" only. There is no need to put them in any particular order. They can be from any genre, any era, any culture, and can be dead or alive as their music lives forever in our hearts.

Here's my list to get us started (in no particular order):

Sarah Vaughn
Karen Carpenter
Eva Cassidy
Dusty Springfield
Sade

May 30, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 182
I like my voices a little damaged. In no particular order, well, in era-order,

Billie Holiday
Janis Joplin
Karen Carpenter
Annie Lennox
Bjork

May 30, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #3 of 182
1. Sarah Vaughan
2. Sarah Vaughan
3. Sarah Vaughan
4. Sarah Vaughan
5. Sarah Vaughan

May 30, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 182
I'd love to start a discussion about these names too if that isn't too off-topic. imho, sarah vaughn is on the same (HIGH) tier as ella fitzgerald, as both used their voices as representations of popular instruments of the day - sarah for the "brassier" stuff, ella for the smooth delivery. they did this very well imho, but in the end i feel "there ain't nothin' like the real thing" and this becomes apparent when Louis Armstrong would blast out some riffs when duoing with Ella. but for me, billie's voice WAS an instrument, a unique jazz instrument that couldn't be reproduced with any other man-made tool or human vocal chords (sorry, Diana Ross!)

May 30, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
1. Sarah Vaughan
2. Sarah Vaughan
3. Sarah Vaughan
4. Sarah Vaughan
5. Sarah Vaughan

Well I did tell a bit of a lie when I said my list was in no particular order. I've got well over 30 of Sassy's albulms, and maybe 5 or 6 from each of the others on my list.
wink.gif

I can't believe that I misspelled her surname...

May 30, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 182
Asha Bhosle. She has the complete range.

May 30, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 182
Some of the (non-lyrical) female voices I have enjoyed the most in recent years, just in alphabetical order:

Alison Krauss
Ana Caram
Bjork
Cesaria Evora
Diana Krall
Dusty Springfield
Jacqui Naylor
Madeleine Peryoux
Rebecca Pidgeon
Sade
Sarah McLachlan

Lyrical female voices: