MOST ACCURATE non-custom IEM?
Apr 1, 2007 at 10:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

vii_haven

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently using the UM2. It is a very engaging IEM and i like it a lot.

However i'm also looking for an IEM that is as accurate as possible, with as little or no coloration in the sound as from the original recordings. I need it to be comfortable, low in microphonics. I know the etys are somewhere there with their sound but the ety designs DO NOT work for me as i use them on stage for monitoring as well.

so does any shure or other brnads have anything like that? the um2s are great but they are quite colored (in a good way) so i'm looking for somethign more accurate.

anyone? =)

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 43
Comparison chart here. If you want a comparison on the sound however, you may want to do a search

A starter for you: thread 1 + 2. Remember: its all about the opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 43
hi lfc_sl,

i notice you own both the um2 and the e4c. i have owned both before and sold the e4c eventually but am beginning to regret it a little now.

which gets more airtime in your ears, and why? =)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparison chart here. If you want a comparison on the sound however, you may want to do a search

A starter for you: thread 1 + 2. Remember: its all about the opinions!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vii_haven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi lfc_sl,

i notice you own both the um2 and the e4c. i have owned both before and sold the e4c eventually but am beginning to regret it a little now.

which gets more airtime in your ears, and why? =)

I own both also (removed the Shures from my sig as I never listen to them), but got the E4cs in trade well after ensconced in my UM2s so they never got a fair chance. Now everytime I try, the bass is so anemic comparatively that it immediately categorizes their performance with my Etys - which is no comparison; i.e. they gather dust. IMO you're not missing anything - the UM2s do everything better than the E4cs: bass, soundstage, resolution; and comfort, microphonics, build. In Shures, the e500/530 are great; the rest of the line is over-shadowed by the etys, westones, et al.
3000smile.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 43
Short version: What fredman22 said. Although I wouldn't go as far as to describe the bass as "anaemic". The E4s certainly have their strengths. Its just that they are lacking in certain genres; particularly percussion instruments. I accept the UM2s are coloured.... but y'know what? I enjoy them a lot regardless. That's all that matters in the end
biggrin.gif

Long, boring version (bottom of page)

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 43
I would recomend the e500. They are good with on-stage because they have almost no cable microphonics, are very comfortable, and have great sound. The Triple.fi 10 pro is probably more acurate, but they stick out of your ear like a bannana, and thats not what you are looking for in a stage monitoring IEM. What kind of music are you monitoring tough? The UM2 was made for onstage monitoring, and so was the E5.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 43
The Etys may not work for you, but no other non-custom IEM even begins to approach their level of accuracy or neutrality.

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 43
Yes, definitely the Ety's for most accurate but that doesn't necessarily mean they will sound most pleasing to your ears.

IMHO the Triple Fi's sound NOTHING like the Ety's. I'd say they sound much closer to Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back