Morgan Jones Questions
Feb 17, 2004 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

A3rd.Zero

100+ Head-Fier
Could you insert a 12AU7 for tube 1 in the Morgan Jones amp wihout changing the schematic at all?

Milo

Feb 18, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 15
I would guess you could possibly get away with that.... I know of a couple of circuits designed for 6GM8 that will work just fine with other tubes (12AY7, 12AU7, etc) instead of them. But, that is just what I think... maybe someone else thinks you can't... ?

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 15
No, you can't just drop a 12AU7 into the first valve's position. The cathode bias resistor is set for an ECC88. One of the reasons for choosing ECC88 as the first valve was because it can operate linearly at quite a low anode voltage. An additional point is that ECC82/12AU7 is one of the highest distortion valves around!

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 15
Water pistol
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe not around tube equipment.

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Has anyone found a (vaguely humane) way of preventing cats from pouncing on the headphone lead when you move?

I am still trying to figure out how to keep mine away from the turntable !

Once that disc starts spinning it is cat magnet central
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #8 of 15
Cats don’t like citrus smells. Also, and maybe this is just for British Shorthairs, but my two cats were easily trained to stay away from my work area by lightly blowing at them (they hate it). I discovered this when working on my project with no free hands to shoo them away. A light puff of air works like a charm.

JF

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by AndrewB
Water pistol
smily_headphones1.gif
maybe not around tube equipment.

They're just not accurate enough, and they leak whilst not in use (oh yes, I've tried). Mind you, the amazed expression when I managed to get one of my cats squarely on the nose (after she had been shredding the carpet) was very satisfying. But, as you say, water and valves don't mix.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 15
i've had some luck defending my plants by brewing a "tea" made from hot water filtered through chili powder and spraying the plants with it. but that would probably only defend against bites, not claws.
smily_headphones1.gif

lucky for me, my guy (see attached photo) stays away from my Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #12 of 15
cool cat

and i know this thread is straying a bit but..........

My cat "Big Trouble" is like possesive of anything mine

If i show attention to a thing he needs to sit on it and hang out for a bit or take a snooze on it

there are times when i am at the computer when he jumps up on my keyboard ($^%&^%%^%^%^) while i am typing , then on to the top of my monitor he goes and lays across the top and just passes out !

Actually has the nerve to take a nap with his front paws and head hanging over the front of the monitor where i have NO CHOICE but to notice him !

If i am soldering , and it matters not where he can open a few doors (i have no idea how this happens,he never does it when i am watching) , he comes bounding in and just plops on the project and starts cleaning himself

Damn weird man

It really p*sses me off but i do nothing figuring he must like me a lot or this would not be happening

the reality is more he hate my a** and is tormenting me
very_evil_smiley.gif

i need to get another dog !
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 15
I've taught them to leave the loudspeakers and turntable alone, and I've come to terms with the little holes they put in the curtains as kittens, and I've given up reading newspapers (too difficult with a cat sat in the middle), but wires are cat magnets.

Apr 2, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by morgan jones
I've taught them to leave the loudspeakers and turntable alone, and I've come to terms with the little holes they put in the curtains as kittens, and I've given up reading newspapers (too difficult with a cat sat in the middle), but wires are cat magnets.

If anyone finds a solution, I want it!

One of my cats is absolutely fascinated by the cable of my R10. I don't want him anywhere near that particular cable. OTOH, I've discovered (the hard way) that the silk cover of the cable is particularly resistant to cat attacks. I know that Loki is around when I feel a tug on the cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back