Moretto (Radii) HAP-3 / EarMax Pro?
Apr 26, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #16 of 48
I've had good luck with my Moretto HAP-3. I've probably got about 100 hours on it. I did post a comparison review with the MG Head OTL, but I havn't heard either Earmax amp. The stock tubes are OK, but it improved with an Amperex Bugle 12AU7 and A-frame 6922s. I also like 5963s for the middle tube--NOS RCA samples are quite cheap.

Just last night I used the Moretto with Ety 4S (at about 100 ohms) with excellent results. It also makes the Grado 325s sound great with the HAP-4 converter. The HAP-4 also has speaker wire binding posts so you can use it to create a headphone jack for your speaker integrated amp or amp/preamp.

I am hoping I've got a good sample. If it does blow someday, I'll come whining to Head-Fi with a report.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 48
people here ar only talking about transformators problems, correct me if i'm wrong.
when were your units purchased, guys?
maybe they changed the power supply? they already know of the problem, maybe they fixed it...?

Apr 27, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Can anyone describe how to treat tubes cryogenically? I have access to Liquid Nitrogen and I'd like to try first with my mg head's stock tubes. Do I put the tube in slowly or quickly? Can I damage my mg head in any way? How long would the effect last?

Thanks for offering any advice.

You can't just treat them by dipping them in LN2. Apparently, there are many secrets to it but in general, it involves slowly cooling down the tube first then finally submerging it in LN2 for a certain amount of time then slowly thawing it and bringing it back to room temperature. LN2 treating tubes is best left to professionals. I wouldn't suggest you try it with your more expensive tubes...

Apr 27, 2003 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 48
what exact tubes do you people suggest for the EMP/HAP-3 ?
can you provide some links, please?

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #21 of 48
i e-mailed radii and asked about the power supply problem, and got this reply:

"The power supply does not any problem.
Regards.
Santa Man"

it's a shame that he don't even admit it, now i really don't want to make buisness with them, although it's 1 of the best looking amps i've seen (much more then the EMP, i would love to have an EMP that looks like it)

i'll reply him with a quote from Hirsch's post in here..
although i'm not getting this HAP-3, maybe they will feel the need of improvement so other people may enjoy of a problem-free HAP-3 in the future.

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf

i'll reply him with a quote from Hirsch's post in here..
although i'm not getting this HAP-3, maybe they will feel the need of improvement so other people may enjoy of a problem-free HAP-3 in the future.

Feel free to send Santa Man a link to this thread, but I would prefer that you do NOT send him quotes from me out of context. Thank you for your consideration.

Apr 27, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #23 of 48
well, Santa Man (Radii) just replied my e-mail:
"Dear sir,
Thanks for you advise.
It is the version problem, now we have fixed it, no problem any more."

what do you say, folks?
at first, he didn't remember any problem..

Apr 27, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 48
I doubt he forgot. He probably felt that since it was fixed, it wasn't worth mentioning. I say go for it.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:01 PM Post #25 of 48
dusty, hirsch,
when did you buy your HAP-3's?

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
dusty, hirsch,
when did you buy your HAP-3's?

We were "early adopters".

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #27 of 48
so it has been a long time to clear the product of obvious problems such as yours?
the power supply that exploded at moretto's, that hirsch talks about, when did it happen?

Apr 28, 2003 at 1:03 AM Post #28 of 48
I am pleased to report that I've taken Dusty's and my units, and managed to get one working HAP-03 out of the pair (Dusty, I'll email details. Just got done). His power supply is driving my amp. The converse, my power supply and his amp, is going to be a lot trickier
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back