Moretto HAP-03 and Radii Audio HAP-04
Aug 29, 2002 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
Both the HAP-03 and HAP-04 are actually products of Radii Audio in China. However, the HAP-03 was marketed in the US by Moretto Audio. The Moretto and Radii HAP-03 are the same amp (I've seen the schematics of both).

I'm posting some brief impressions, because I just received the HAP-04. This little device does two things. First, it reduces the output impedance of the HAP-03 so that it can drive low-impedance headphones. This is a big deal. Second, it allows you to drive headphones from the speaker outputs of a power amp. Versatile little device, and very convenient.

The HAP-03 connects to the HAP-04 by means of a cable with quarter inch stereo phone plugs at each end. This is not supplied. I'm using a Monster Superlink 500 from a Guitar Center near me, and it works fine.

In fact, the whole amp is working unbelievably fine. Tube complement is an RCA cleartop 12AU7 in front of Phillips Miniwatt SQ ECC88's. To date, I have only been able to use this amp with the HD-600. With the HAP-04, all that changes.

Late edit: They're really E88CC's.

Since it's late, I'll be quick. This amp is pure tube goodness. If you want to know what a 6DJ8 type really sounds like, this is your amp. Sound is clean but unbelievably liquid. Amazing that something this small and inexpensive sounds this good. The trade of for using the impedance matcher is gain. The HP-1, my least efficient headphone (K1000 excepted), can be driven to comfortable levels, but requires the full gain of the amp. It cannot be driven overly loud...but the sound is gorgeous. Very full, good bass, and a midrange that has to be heard. Just lovely. Although it takes some getting used to in order to run the volume all the way up, the HP-1 is the only one that could conceivably want more gain. All of my other headphones have gain to spare. Bass is a bit sloppy on the Sony CD3000. That headphone goes lower than any of my others, and the HAP combo simply runs out of gas. Another winner is the Audio Technica A100Ti. This amp simply drives this headphone well. Strong bass, although not as deep as the CD3000, good highs, and the amp covers any midrange weakness in the headphone. This is as good as I've heard this headphone sound...and I'm raising my opinion of it based on this. Final test was the Sony R10. In brief, this amp gets better bass out of the R10 than any others I've heard. This includes everything from Headroom Max to ZOTL to SHA-1. Couple that with the liquid midrange, and this amp is my current amp for the R10. I have nothing that can drive that headphone better.

I'm impressed. Very impressed. It's late, but maybe I have time for just one more disk...

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 10
eek.gif

Uh.... er.... wow!!

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

In brief, this amp gets better bass out of the R10 than any others I've heard.

Hirsch,

that is surprising! As Nick said: wow!

How does the HAP-03 compare to your other amps when driving high-impedance headphones? And will you try HAP-04 with other tube amps? I wonder what the impedance matcher does to their sound.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 10
How does it do with the RS-1, Hirsch?

Aug 29, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I haven't seen the Moretto on sale on ebay recently. I don't know if Moretto has found another distribution channel. I'm aware of one HAP-03 that came into the US from Radii Audio, but that one has got problems, cause unknown. If Moretto hasn't found a way to distribute the amps, the ones that we've got may be the only ones there are.

There are no problems, however, with the Radii Audio HAP-04. I'm going to have to play around with the second function of this device: it allows you to run a headphone off of any power amp, like the ASL UHC-Signature.

Aug 30, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Check the For Sale area. The HAP-04 adapter is an absolute necessity, IMO, unless you only use high-impedance cans, and it can take a while to get it if you order from China.

Aug 31, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
How does it do with the RS-1, Hirsch?

I'd rate this combo OK. It's actually very interconnect dependent. With the Outlaw PCA, the sound of the RS-1 driven by the Moretto is somewhat disjointed. Lots of highs and lows, but thin in the midrange. The highs are bright almost to the point of painfulness. The RS-1 sounds better when I switch to Homegrown Audio Silver Lace (but remember, the HAP-03 and HAP-04 are joined by Monster Studiolink 500, which might be worth upgrading at some point). The Silver Lace tames the very bright high end the RS-1 has with the Outlaw cable, and the RS-1 produces a much more coherent sound. Very nice actually. The HP-1 isn't as cable sensitive with this amp, and doesn't really care which interconnect I use (Interconnect/headphone interactions are starting to make my head hurt
tongue.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back