More Xin doubts...switch from supermicro to supermini???
Apr 17, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

grndslm

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm very impressed with Skylab's review of Xin's Supermicro...but he does make a good point with the durability factor. I'm not so sure that the Supermini looks that much more durable, but it does look a bit more solid.

Anyway...with the Supermini's slight gain in durability, huge gain in battery life (5~10 times as much with just one more AAA), ability to directly recharge rechargeable AAAs with ac adapter, and supposedly equal sound quality (doubt it could be better).

If this sound quality improvement (read "power adjustment") really does sound as good as the Supermicro...why wouldn't I want the Supermini??

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 30
(a frame of reference for you) You must have read the initial comparison done by Mrarroyo/Vorlon1........then, much later Skylab. Haven't read this later mention but know the first comparison (sorry for any typos but listening Nano/Supermacro LE/Darths right now)...........Last fall got my new Supermini IV (orig. had a III until the IV's landed, and was happy enough to order a Supermacro LE. Well, it just happened that today - the Postman cometh - the Supermacro LE finally landed on my doorstep.......... Last week Dr. Xin posted he'd made discoveries that made his Supermini and Supermacro LE totally equal to Supermicro SQ as of build date at 4/11 and onward. My initial impression is he was absolutely correct in saying they now equal the Supermicro............so this experience has to infer he has also been correct about the Supermini. Personally I have never been a fan of the Supermicro form factor.............anyway, the upshot is you should be confident in any choice concerning a switch to Supermini or Supermacro LE.

The soundstage is HUGE and it's very musical..........lots of burn-in and experimentation to be done now. First impression is outstanding.

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 30
Well, if the sound quality really is equal to the supermicro...I'm going to email Xin and tell him I'd rather have the mini. The ability to have it plugged in alone is prolly worth the $30 to me...plus the batteries last longer, and the mini has crossfeed!

Hopefully he doesn't move me to the back of the line now that I'm changing my order...

Also...does the Supermini come stock with the AD8620 opamp, like the Supermicro? I hear good things about the AD8620...

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 30
Unless the changes of 4/11 transform the Supermini IV I would go with the Supermicro IV. IMO the Supermicro IV is the winner. But I will probably do a comparison of hte two in the near future to see if the lates changes does indeed bring the Supermini IV ahead or not.

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 30
I don't quite understand how the Supermini can be worse than the Supermicro. They're topologically nearly identical by Xin's description, and the Supermini can run the same chips. It seems to me the only thing that keeps you from getting them to sound identical is that people aren't using the same chips in both (is Xin concealing the chips' identity for some reason?)

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't quite understand how the Supermini can be worse than the Supermicro. They're topologically nearly identical by Xin's description, and the Supermini can run the same chips. It seems to me the only thing that keeps you from getting them to sound identical is that people aren't using the same chips in both (is Xin concealing the chips' identity for some reason?)

Topology ===> KIS (keep it simple) Some would argue that the simpler the design the less chance of stuff messing with the sound.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the changes of 4/11 transform the Supermini IV I would go with the Supermicro IV. IMO the Supermicro IV is the winner. But I will probably do a comparison of hte two in the near future to see if the lates changes does indeed bring the Supermini IV ahead or not.

You buddy, are tempting me to place an order for the latest SuperMini IV. Now that I have 04/11 SuperMicro, I still like the thin profile of SuperMini IV, Crossfeed and build in rechargeable ability.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Topology ===> KIS (keep it simple) Some would argue that the simpler the design the less chance of stuff messing with the sound.

x2. I suspect that xin's larger amps suffer from featuritis. I would like nothing more than a full-sized portable (like macro) sans all the features. Until then the Micro=less complications, shorter distance between components, better sound *theoretically and only if you subscribe to the less is more camp. The micro has made me a believer in this regard.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

I'm sorry; I have no idea what you're talking about. As I said, it seems Xin is at least describing shared topology between the Supermini and Supermicro, other than I guess the addition of being able to through an extra buffer into the Supermini. They run on the same voltage at the rails, and they can use the same chips. Some might argue that, the simpler design, the less chance of things messing up, but I don't see how it's self-evident that those people are right. There are advantages to using more sophisticated topologies that I don't think are easily dismissed. Making something no more complex than is necessary to maximise performance is perhaps a fine axiom, but focusing on simplicity itself, I think, is imprudent.

Aside from that, again, it seems strange to me that people even attribute a particular sound to the Mini/Macro in the first place. User configurability essentially means you can't review a distinct sound to attribute to the amp. Has anyone tried the op-amp of the Supermicro in the Supermini?

Apr 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 30
mrarroyo - I've got it and YOU don't
smily_headphones1.gif
.........and I'm listening with it RIGHT NOW
smily_headphones1.gif
oh, can't help myself - need to do another
smily_headphones1.gif

FYR - I opted to do the formerly many times done 8616/8656 config. and hearing portably juxtaposed with a Dec. '06 Supermini - it'll be worth my time for the Supermini get the new tweaks.........both it and some posters make me want to........
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 30
I don't know but my supermini III is perfection with my Ety ER4s. Perfect amount of bass boost, crossfeed that works, and great sound. And the battery life that never seems to end...

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 30
I sold my Supermini III when IV's started getting into customers hands (it's been living in Iraq with a fine soldier) and at that point Dr. Xin was not going to do major upgrades on them. Had I known at the time he might alter that decision to upgrade them to near-IV's I would have kept mine. Curious why you haven't sent it to him for him to perform his magic? Anyway..............I'm already happier with this LE than my ol' Supermini IV of December "vintage"............and will send the Supermini for the latest tweaks when I get around to it. Different strokes for different folks, all is good.

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mrarroyo - I've got it and YOU don't
smily_headphones1.gif
.........and I'm listening with it RIGHT NOW
smily_headphones1.gif
oh, can't help myself - need to do another
smily_headphones1.gif

FYR - I opted to do the formerly many times done 8616/8656 config. and hearing portably juxtaposed with a Dec. '06 Supermini - it'll be worth my time for the Supermini get the new tweaks.........both it and some posters make me want to........
smily_headphones1.gif

I am flying to NYC to take it away from you! Oh but gee I have two already!!!
rolleyes.gif
Not true, just enjoy your new amp, hope it gives you many hours of pleasure.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

I am flying to NYC to take it away from you! Oh but gee I have two already!!!
rolleyes.gif
Not true, just enjoy your new amp, hope it gives you many hours of pleasure.

Methinks that those with anything after 4/11 need to have bodyguards and security details!!! I see envy rearing it's head!

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if the sound quality really is equal to the supermicro...I'm going to email Xin and tell him I'd rather have the mini. The ability to have it plugged in alone is prolly worth the $30 to me...plus the batteries last longer, and the mini has crossfeed!

Hopefully he doesn't move me to the back of the line now that I'm changing my order...

Also...does the Supermini come stock with the AD8620 opamp, like the Supermicro? I hear good things about the AD8620...

I've never heard the Supermicro, but my new post 4/11 Supermini sounds very nice. It's a shame I waited almost 4 months and haven't had a whole lot of listening time since I received it. I'm sure Dr. Xin will change your order without placing you at the back of the line. You may want to hold off before you change your order until members on Head-fi can do a comparison between the micro and the new mini.

I order the ST-WV amp option and it was installed in the Mini when it arrived, but the default amps were included. I removed the ST-WV and reinstalled the default setup shortly after it arrived. I wanted to listen to the default setup the Dr. chose before I go back to the ST-WV, plus battery life with the default setup is supposed to be 120 hours!

Default setup for the Mini is
[L/R AD8616]-[buffer bypassed]-[3/4 AD8616].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back