More tubes! Yeeeeee-HAW!
Nov 6, 2006 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I was supposed to get my new balanced McAlister Audio amp Sunday morning... turns out that the faceplate guy had issues with the green sublimation process. I decided to get the amps name in a forest green colour. Should have just left well enough alone!
tongue.gif

But then again, maybe not!

I get a call from Peter on Sunday afternoon. He says he has been listening to my amp, and while it sounds incredible, he decided that he wants to go a little more 'over the top' with it. A man after my own heart.
biggrin.gif

So, it looks like there will be 4 more tubes, for a grand total of 13... as well as two more metal can capacitors. He says that it looks like a BEAST. I can't wait to see it. The 4 new tubes are 6GU7's, which are a lower gain version of the 6CG7's. He said that I can substitute CG's, but that I definately will not be needing that extra 3dB of gain.

What is absolutely crazy is that only one of those tubes is for regulation and it has solid state rectification. All of the tubes are all duals, even the pentodes. Now, I know he uses a tubed CCS and is putting a tubed RCA->Balanced 'phase splitter' in there for the unbalanced inputs... but I'm having a hard time working out what exactly all the tubes are doing. I think he said the 6H30's are being paralleled, so that accounts for 4 tubes - but I think that was before he added the new tubes, so who knows. Hmmm, I guess I will just have to wait until tomorrow night when he explains everything to me.

Picking it up tomorrow night.
blink.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 34
McAlister preamps are designed to be pretty tube-insensitive. Thst is a function of the circuit(s) he uses. This may be true of your head-amp, too. Best consult with Peter.

Nov 6, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 34
Congrats on the amp, so are you calling in sick on Wednesday?
evil_smiley.gif

BTW when you pick up your amp, be sure to check out Peter's personal 42 tube electrostatic monster amp if you haven't already!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 34
Nate - Thanks man, I can hardly wait myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

As for the tube rolling, see below. Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89
McAlister preamps are designed to be pretty tube-insensitive. Thit is a function of the circuit he uses. This may be true of your head-amp, too. Best consult with Peter.

Yep, he has already brought this up with me.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Yeah I mentioned in your impressions thread you were going to have a hell of a time tube rolling and you said tube rolling the amp won't change the sound
confused.gif

It is a good thing, not a bad thing... according to Peter, in simple cascode circuits tube changes can make a big difference, but with the topology that he uses it is not an issue. I guess it won't be a big deal as long as I like the sound of the amp.
biggrin.gif

I suppose if I need a small tweak I could go into some rather scary territory... output cap rolling.
evil_smiley.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher
Congrats on the amp, so are you calling in sick on Wednesday?

It will be tempting, but I am seeing a show in Toronto that night [Imogen Heap] and have booked the Thursday off... so I am hoping I can resist the urge. Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher
BTW when you pick up your amp, be sure to check out Peter's personal 42 tube electrostatic monster amp if you haven't already!

Yeah, I am looking forward to hearing it.
cool.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 34
jay's having christmas eaaaaarllllllllllyy

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 34
Here's what Christmas will kinda look like... since Santa came by my house today...
orphsmile.gif

100_1966.jpg

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 34
Slooooowwwwwww!
smily_headphones1.gif

Pabbi - Is that 12 tubes I see? I can't wait to hear some impressions once you have spent a good amount of time with it.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 34
that monstrosity takes up an acre!

enjoy.

PS. what are the white things on top of the tubes?

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #14 of 34
I talked to Peter about this today - my amp is a prototype, which will need some tweaking to satiate my insane lust for power. I won't make any impressions until at least the weekend, and want to hear this guy with some Omega I and OII before really commenting too much. Since Peter doesn't have any Senn electrostats, it is hard for him to voice it, so, bottom line, it is a work in progress.

What I have heard so far is pretty damn good - and spectacular in spots. This amp simply loves NIN "Pretty Hate Machine".

I'll be doing a mini-meet in Ft Worth next weekend with the Omegas & other HE60, comparing to an ES-1 and a Stax 007t, so judgement simply has to be reserved until then.

The wires are grounds for those tubes - way kinda funky, but no big deal.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 34
Ok... so tonight has turned in to Thursday night.
frown.gif

That's life I suppose.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back