More random (hopefully useful) headphone questions
Jan 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KonKossKang

New Head-Fier
Do headphone magnets wither over time?
how long does it take for headphone speakers to blow out from amps?
does 128kbps hurt headphone drivers?
does INTENDED distortion in songs(dubstep dnb) hurt headphones and bassphones?
are L shaped wires stronger than Straight 3.5mm jacks?
Do earbuds last as long as headphones?
What pricerange is when headphones dont improve much anymore in sound quality?
how much equalization of the bass can the q40 and m50 take before blowing out?
how to measure headphone frequency levels?

The question I am most interested in is the one about measuring the frequencies of the headphones because i have no idea What that option is lol.Some person on here had charts and stuff and said the xb500 had like 15db of bass so i wanna know how to measure the headphone levels so i dont go overboard with the bass again like i did with my old pair.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 7
1.)  Yes, but for the lifetime of a headphone this loss in magnetism is quite low
2.)  A speaker should last at least 10 years unless the amp was not properly constructed ( DC Voltage, etc ) or the speakers were over drivern
3.)  No
4.)  No if the distortion is in the recording, yes if turning the volume way up causing the distortion
5.)  Not sure what you are asking, but the overall length of each wire should be about the same if it is for the same exact style of headphone
6.)  No, earbugs or IEM headphones typically have thinner wires and tend to get more wear than headphones
7.)  Price has nothing to do with it, driver sensitivity, impedance, and the output of the amps impedance play more of a roll
8.)  Equalization should not really cause damage to a headphone as long as the overall volume remains now.  Digital equalization such as using a computer may cause distortion, but it is not the headphone causing this distortion is most cases.  It is the signal processing in the PC when it does the equalization.
9.)  You cannot easily measure headphone frequency response, but many headphones are posted here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Keep the volume low and the bass turned down and your headphones should last at least 2 years depending on how much wear you put on them.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 7
1. Yes, but not something that you ever need to worry about over the life of your headphones.

2. A long time. Decade?

3. Nope, just your ears :]

4. No.

5. It all depends on the quality of the wires.

6. Not generally. Thinner wires, less surface area to get stronger construction, etc.

7. If I'm understanding the question, you're asking when it stops being cost effective to continue to buy headphones? In my opinion, the biggest jump in quality is going from lo-fi to upper mid-fi. Going from cheaper headphones (freebies) and over-bloated fashion statements (beats, most of the skullcandy line) to something in the $250 range (with some choice sets in the $150 range also being noteworthy) is amazing. I'd put things like the entry to hi-fi HE-400, etc right at the end of that spectrum. Going from nothing to things in that range is like night and day. Then you go from, say, the $400 HE-400 to the $800-$1400 headphones is less dramatic. Sometimes totally understated until you've logged  a ton of time into them. It doesn't mean those other headphones aren't worth the money, of course.

8 and 9 are not questions for me to answer.

Jan 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

7. If I'm understanding the question, you're asking when it stops being cost effective to continue to buy headphones? In my opinion, the biggest jump in quality is going from lo-fi to upper mid-fi. Going from cheaper headphones (freebies) and over-bloated fashion statements (beats, most of the skullcandy line) to something in the $250 range (with some choice sets in the $150 range also being noteworthy) is amazing. I'd put things like the entry to hi-fi HE-400, etc right at the end of that spectrum. Going from nothing to things in that range is like night and day. Then you go from, say, the $400 HE-400 to the $800-$1400 headphones is less dramatic. Sometimes totally understated until you've logged  a ton of time into them. It doesn't mean those other headphones aren't worth the money, of course.

I pretty much agree with this to be spot on in my experience. Going from cheap freebie type headphones to many of the recommended headphones in the $200-$300 range is 100% worth every penny. The difference in sound quality here is phenomenal, night and day from cheap freebie phones. After the $300 price point I feel the returns start to diminish drastically. Another issue is that the more expensive the headphones become, the more expensive the amp's/dac's become to power them (not in ALL cases). So if you are shelling out $800-$1000 for headphones, you could be shelling out double that in order to properly power them to potential. $250-$300 for a headphone, and $150-$200 for a quality amp/dac/sound card is pretty much a sweet spot for me. Spending any more then this for me personally starts to feel like the money invested wasn't worth the return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back