More Power...
Nov 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

runningman1960

New Head-Fier
I've been doing alot of research regarding best amp for my budget. After about a  month I finally took the plunge and ordered the wa6se. But I still have a basic question that I can't find an answer to... what does more power get you? The wa6 gets fabulous reviews, and if the wa6-se has the same basic sound signature, what affect does having more than twice the power do to dynamic headphones.

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 8
It means you have more reserve for those transients and detail.  A lot of people do a simple calculation with headphone efficiency and output dBs, then state that an amp has way too much power because you don't need the resulting volume.  The thing is, there is a steady state listening volume, but then there are transients and dynamics as well.  More power means more of an ability to respond to those transients once a listening volume as been reached.  All other things being equal, of course.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Tomb,
   If I understand correctly; while listening at a particular volume, if the music calls for more bass or quick transitions, a more powerful amp will be able to handle it without any degradation in sound quality.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks Tomb,
   If I understand correctly; while listening at a particular volume, if the music calls for more bass or quick transitions, a more powerful amp will be able to handle it without any degradation in sound quality.

Yes - that's the basic principle behind wanting more power.  Call it headroom, or if analogous to a car, the ability to still accelerate while at speed, etc., etc.  About the only disadvantage is a much higher energy use, but our little amps never approach more than a few watts, anyway.

Nov 13, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 8
the problem with this statement is that it is WAY too simple, and perpetuates a lot of misconceptions regarding "you need M0AR POWAH!!!!"

the largest upward dynamic range i've actually seen recorded in many high quality classical works is 30db above the "average" volume of the piece.  thus even the strongest transients do not exceed 30db over the listening volume.  those who demand a 6watt Lyr for the LCD-2 are in reality suggesting, iirc, that they need the ability to drive 145db cleanly.  not only does this exceed the maximum rated volume of the cans, but it would imply a regular listening level of 115db!  listening at this level regularly would make you deaf in a matter of weeks. 

even with ridiculous transients in recordings with the highest dynamic range, 99.99% of people will not even need a 1watt headamp.  and those that do are listening too loudly. 

Quote:
It means you have more reserve for those transients and detail.  A lot of people do a simple calculation with headphone efficiency and output dBs, then state that an amp has way too much power because you don't need the resulting volume.  The thing is, there is a steady state listening volume, but then there are transients and dynamics as well.  More power means more of an ability to respond to those transients once a listening volume as been reached.  All other things being equal, of course.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
the problem with this statement is that it is WAY too simple, and perpetuates a lot of misconceptions regarding "you need M0AR POWAH!!!!"

the largest upward dynamic range i've actually seen recorded in many high quality classical works is 30db above the "average" volume of the piece.  thus even the strongest transients do not exceed 30db over the listening volume.  those who demand a 6watt Lyr for the LCD-2 are in reality suggesting, iirc, that they need the ability to drive 145db cleanly.  not only does this exceed the maximum rated volume of the cans, but it would imply a regular listening level of 115db!  listening at this level regularly would make you deaf in a matter of weeks. 

even with ridiculous transients in recordings with the highest dynamic range, 99.99% of people will not even need a 1watt headamp.  and those that do are listening too loudly. 

Yes, I plead guilty to over-simplification.  But you must realize more than most folks that it's a useless road to go down with more specifics in a thread such as this.  I only suggest that using logic like yours leads inevitably to people going with a soundcard or worse - "What's a good headphone that sounds good without an amp?"

You may be right in principle with your dB comparison, but it leads to the wrong conclusion by too many people around here.

P.S. I think your 30dB over average volume is a bit tame for the recordings I've seen.  Even so, why promote the idea that people should try to put a ceiling so close to that?  There are too many variables in play to get that specific with a neophyte who's trying to choose a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back