More portable version of Audio Techinca ATH-A900?
Aug 19, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 26
What about specifying which source you used ? Portables doesn't count. Experiment a little. *partly* agree with you on that on a tinny IMP-400 on "Jazz" EQ or thereabouts, but the hd25 have a soundstage (albeit narrow) with depth on amped sources (e.g. receivers, and simple headphone amps).

b.t.w. why "trust" Ultrasone ? (Not that one shouldn't, but it just sounds funny)

smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
HD-25s sound very small too me (almost like an earbud, certainly not a sound that envelops you). I don't know why that might be...

It sounds almost like a sennheiser trying to be a grado, but with the aforementioned sound quality.

I haven't tried those beyers or the ultrasones, but I trust the ultrasone brand name...

Try to find a place where you can audition those two. I'd go with the ultrasones on blind faith...

EDIT: Suggestion: DT250-250 with a small cmoy amp or the like. Why ? The HD25s have an IMO too high sensitivity to be ideal with portables. There's white noise, right from when you power up your portable, but tolerable when music is playing. The DT250-250 have a lower sensitivity and is powered well by some portables, and a small amp works wonders if it's not loud enough. It sounds better (according to other people) than the DT250-80 version.

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

What about specifying which source you used ? Portables doesn't count. Experiment a little. *partly* agree with you on that on a tinny IMP-400 on "Jazz" EQ or thereabouts, but the hd25 have a soundstage (albeit narrow) with depth on amped sources (e.g. receivers, and simple headphone amps).

b.t.w. why "trust" Ultrasone ? (Not that one shouldn't, but it just sounds funny)

by Daroid

I used the receiver out from a decent cd-player at a shop with a pair of HD-25SHs...I don't recall specifically what cd player it was (it was one I couldn't easily carry out of the store *heavy/large*, that's for sure), but the store wouldn't allow me to attach my own amplifier to it.

Regardless of the "source," this guy clearly intends to use it on a portable, so it HAS to sound good from a rio/i-river/ipod as he described without the benefit of an amplifier.

To my ears, the HD-25SHs sounded small...enough for me to put them down after a few minutes and listen to the SR-80 Grados instead. Perhaps a better source would improve their sound, but that's of no concern here...this guy needs a headphone that sounds good from a portable source.

As for "trusting" Ultrasone, I have never read any negative comments about their closed headphones...nothing but gleaming praise. That's more than I can say about a lot of other companies (Sennheiser, Sony) whom I would not trust in randomly selecting a headphone from their inventory.

I'd purchase Ultrasones or a good pair of earbuds (er-4s, er-6i) over the alternatives.

Quote:

I would not use Grados portably. In fact I think of them less portable than the A900's as they don't isolate at all and leak way too much sound to use in public

by Slug

Oh really? I know of quite a few people who use the SR-80s as their "walk around" portable headphone. They are fairly light-weight and don't require an amp to sound pleasant. When you are moving around, no one notices the sound emanating from your ears...if you're in a computer lab or library, that's different....but I see no reason why you couldn't use them as a semi-portable.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #18 of 26
The Beyer 250-80s or 250-250s are more "laid back" phones than the HFIs, DT660s, and HD25s and probably not as well suited for a diet mainly comprised of rock... right or wrong?

I will try to find a dealer that will let me sample the HD25s... too bad there's no Ultrasone dealer around here and the DT660s have not yet been made available in the States.

If I were to get the DT660s, would a 120 ohm adaptor be neccessary?

Aug 20, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrplow
The Beyer 250-80s or 250-250s are more "laid back" phones than the HFIs, DT660s, and HD25s and probably not as well suited for a diet mainly comprised of rock... right or wrong?

I would say wrong. Yes, I guess they are a little laidback, but definitely not as much as the Senn HD580/600. Also they got damn fine bass. Please note that I've only heard the DT250-80.

Quote:

If I were to get the DT660s, would a 120 ohm adaptor be neccessary?

Yeah, I you're going to use them with a Rega Ear. :)
It's hard to say, but I would suspect so. Just buy the adapter and do some experimenting.

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #20 of 26
Saint.Panda had mentioned in a comparison between the HFI-700 and HD25 that the Ultrasones had harshness in the highs that quickly caused listening fatigue. Has anyone else experienced this with the Ultrasones?

Aug 21, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
HD-25s sound very small too me (almost like an earbud, certainly not a sound that envelops you). I don't know why that might be...

It sounds almost like a sennheiser trying to be a grado, but with the aforementioned sound quality

I agree, they do have a very gradoesque sound but I sort of like that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
The HD25s have an IMO too high sensitivity to be ideal with portables. There's white noise, right from when you power up your portable, but tolerable when music is playing.

In my opinion the hd25 are ideal for portable because they have such a high sensitivity. I don't hear any white noise on my portable using the hd25. If that were the case then I'd hear even more white noise with an amp. This again would imply that my portable player probably has got some issues.

Aug 21, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Saint.Panda had mentioned in a comparison between the HFI-700 and HD25 that the Ultrasones had harshness in the highs that quickly caused listening fatigue. Has anyone else experienced this with the Ultrasones?

Yes, with both Ultrasones I've heard (Edition7) and owned (HFI650DVD). They both possesed a similarly peaky treble that could be quite harsh depending on the volume and source material.

Aug 21, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Yes, with both Ultrasones I've heard (Edition7) and owned (HFI650DVD). They both possesed a similarly peaky treble that could be quite harsh depending on the volume and source material.

I'm guessing this harshness would probably be worst on a cheap source such as an unamped cheap portable cd player, right? If that's the case, looks like I might have to rule it out.

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

I'm guessing this harshness would probably be worst on a cheap source such as an unamped cheap portable cd player, right? If that's the case, looks like I might have to rule it out.

The harshness was more noticeable on my Archos then on the home rig I had at the time.

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #25 of 26
I could chime in about the DT250-80s.

They're very suited for portable use; very small for a circumaural phone, as comfortable as silk slippers if your ears are small enough to fit into the cups (but not uncomfortable even otherwise), low-profile and won't have people staring at you, and extremely sturdy, virtually impossible to break.

They have a rather dark sound, because they are a bit rolled off on the treble. On the other hand, they do have good bass, and is good as portable rockers. DT250-250 sound more balanced (and less rolled off) than is the DT250-80, but they require an amp. Even the DT250-80, however, needs an amp to sound its best. Because of their darkish sound, they cause absolutely minimal listening fatigue. With these cans you can essentially listen as long as you want.

As for detail, they don't have the type of detail that leap out at you. On the plus side this means that it won't fatigue you quickly, but it also means that if you want detail you have to listen for it, and they might not sound as detailed as some other phones when listening casually.

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 26
Perhaps the HD25-1 is the headphone you are looking for, seeing how the Ultrasones aren't as highly-regarded of as I thought. I've only tried the HD25-SP, which apparently sound very different from the HD25-1s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back