More portable version of Audio Techinca ATH-A900?
Aug 19, 2004 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

mrplow

100+ Head-Fier
After 3 days of researching previous posts on this form, I've yet to come up with a final decision (maybe its just the OCD talking).

Basically, I'm looking for a set of closed headphones that:

1) can be used without an additional amp for subway, bus, and plane travel (and perhaps on foot).
2) have a relatively balanced sound, with a good midrange kick (think Steve Albini-like production sound).
3) present as much detail as possible without harshness.

The one headphone that I'm really interested in is the Audio Technica ATH-A900; I've always liked the fact that it possesses a larger soundstage than the Grados without being too laid back like some Sennheisers. However, from what I've read the A900 does not look too portable... are users saying this because its akward looking to wear in public? In other words, do most people not consider this a portable headphone mainly because of looks?

Regardless, is there a smaller pair of full-size headphones that will provide a similar sound to the A900s?

From what others have been saying the Sennheiser HD25-1 or Ultrasone HFI-650/700 seem like my best bets. I'd have taken the HD25-1 by now but I haven't seen much on how it compares soundwise to the HFI-650/700. I listen to mainly rock; should the small soundstage on the HD25-1 also be a concern as well?

Sorry for yet another "What's the best headphone for me?" post...

All regards

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #2 of 26
Nope.

The ATH-A900 is not portable :-D. I wore them at the mall today, and that just didn't work...they just tenuously "float" on your head and are fairly heavy, precluding any kind of activity involving considerable movement...plus, everyone was LOOKING AT ME for the two heads growing from my ears...that were attached to the cmoy in my pocket...which was attached to the ipod at my waist. It was a hideous contraption that evoked leering glances from even the most oblivious and unsuspecting individuals. ICK! (I tried this at UTC mall in San Diego, California, for those of you who might be in the area)

Alas, there isn't a closed portable phone that compares to the ATH-A900 with regard to sound, so your search is ultimately futile...I personally do not like the sound of V6s or HD280s, which are semi-portable closed cans. They don't feel as "open" as the ATH-A900s or produce the sound that you deserve for the price range (i.e. Grado SR60/SR80/MS-1 will blow away either one of those phones; in comparison, ATH-A900s hang tight with HD-595s/HD-580s/AKG-501 and innumerate other headphones that hover around $200)

You sure you can't tolerate an open can for portable use? I mean, soundstages are overrated for most types of music...rock especially. You only notice it in some types of music, and you hardly miss it when it's not present. Get the Grado SR-225s ($200) already, if that's your price range...plenty of detail, good midrange kick, no amp required for rockalizing. You will be instantly Gradofied with your purchase.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 26
Whoops! I just remembered that HD-25 is a closed, portable can with decent sound...

I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE THE SOUND, but it certainly is an option if you insist on a closed phone.

Some of the people on this forum like it (BLECH to all of you).

Aug 19, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks for your opinion. I have a Grado SR-80, which I have been using for portable use but it hasnt worked well in any kind of transit situation (plane, car, bus, train)... there's just too much outside noise which drowns out the detail, and also causes me to turn up the volume to levels i shouldnt turn it up to
basshead.gif
So right now, I'm not really considering a semi-open can.

CrazyFrenchman, could specify what particularly you didn't like about the HD25? Also, have you ever tested the Ultrasone HFI-650/700?

Aug 19, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #5 of 26
Ax00 series are for when you're sitting down at home or work, that's all. They're not secure enough for portable use.

Off all my cans the best full sized portable cans are Senn 280s. They're amazing value those things at less than $100. I wouldn't wear them outside myself though, i'd feel too self concious and worry about them being nicked (although that's unlikely here).

I use EX71s for the gym and walking to work, but they're not audiophile quality at all. I think MD33s would be better sound and very good value. Ety4 are what I might get some time, no hurry tho, EX71s have me satisfied for now.

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 26
Guess it looks like the A900 won't be a choice for a portable
frown.gif

The Beyer DT660 looks very interesting. However, a review on Dansdata.com (http://www.dansdata.com/2beyers.htm) stated that they were pretty uncomfortable to wear.

I took a look at the HD280, but I think the HD25, DT660, or Ultrasone HFI-650/700 would be better suited for my needs.

Has anyone done a listening comparo with the Ultrasone HFI-650/700, Beyer DT660, and the Sennheiser HD25?

I read JansL's review of the Beyer DT660 and it was pretty favorable, but I'm still unsure as to how it stacks up to the other two. One concern of mine is that it will be a little difficult to power unamped with a portable, at 120 ohm. However, his review did mention that it was easily driven by a portable.

I found posts by Saint.Panda and Bangraman stating that had owned both and that they chose the HD25 over the Ultrasones, but I was unable to determine whether this was due to sound quality or comfort/ease. For me, I would take slightly better sound quality over slight better comfort.

Any ideas on how these three stack up side by side in a listening comparison?

Aug 19, 2004 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 26
HD-25s sound very small too me (almost like an earbud, certainly not a sound that envelops you). I don't know why that might be...

It sounds almost like a sennheiser trying to be a grado, but with the aforementioned sound quality.

I haven't tried those beyers or the ultrasones, but I trust the ultrasone brand name...

Try to find a place where you can audition those two. I'd go with the ultrasones on blind faith...

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 26
I haven't tried any of the Ultrasones or the Senn HD25, but I spent quite a bit of time with the Beyer DT660, which I liked a lot.

The DT660 is 32 ohm, and quite easily powered by portable gear. It needs an amp to fulfill its potential.

It's heavy, but I found it quite comfortable. Nice, roomy earpads. The inner part of the driver housing might touch your ears, but the pressure is very minor. I had no problems wearing the DT660 for hours. It's much more comfortable than the Senn HD280 Pro. The DT880 is more comfortable than them all. :)

The DT660 is not a small headphone, so I guess you will be noticed if you're using it outdoors.
280smile.gif

Personally, I think the Senn HD25 looks like a very interesting portable phone. I'm planning on trying it out soon.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 26
HI: I have found that for me in a portable I use the Shure E2 and get great sound and comfort plus the islation I need in a portable. I do use a supermini amp with my portable minidisc but with my portable radio I just plug in the E2.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
What about the Beyer DT250-80?

Very good suggestion!

I have only heard the DT250-250, but that one sounds really good. The earpads aren't large enough to fully enclose most ears, but they aren't uncomfortable.

The DT250 actually looks good when used outdoors. Black and fairly discreet.

Definitely worth some serius consideration.

Aug 19, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Nope.
You sure you can't tolerate an open can for portable use? ........ Get the Grado SR-225s ($200) already, if that's your price range...plenty of detail, good midrange kick, no amp required for rockalizing. You will be instantly Gradofied with your purchase.

I would not use Grados portably. In fact I think of them less portable than the A900's as they don't isolate at all and leak way too much sound to use in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back