more ohms =more volume?
Apr 3, 2003 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

joecrouton

New Head-Fier
What defines how loud headphones get? I just bought a IMP-150 Chromex, and i want the loudest possible headphines. It has a 7mw+7mw output. What specs should the loudest headphones have? Thanks for any help.

Apr 3, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 13
Less impedence and higher sensitivity = easier to drive = more volume. I wouldn't go for too loud though, you might damage your hearing. If you are looking to drown out the outside noise look for some headphones with good isolation, closed cans or canal phones like ety's.
-Mag

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by joecrouton
What defines how loud headphones get? I just bought a IMP-150 Chromex, and i want the loudest possible headphines. It has a 7mw+7mw output. What specs should the loudest headphones have? Thanks for any help.

Please explain why you're going for the "loudest possible headphines".

Apr 3, 2003 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Actually, higher sensitivty = more volume. More or less resistance only equates to how much voltage it takes to drive the cans to higher volume.

Apr 3, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Sorry, I should have read your post more carefully the first time. The loudest headphones are ones that combine a very high sensitivity along with a low impedance. Let's say at least 100db w/ 1mW of power, and around 32 ohms of resistance.

Since you only have a mere 7mW to work with, you are going to need something that is very efficient and low resistance.

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #7 of 13
What's your price range? Open or sealed?

If you want easily driven headphones on the budget end, I'd recommend PX200.

If you're willing to spend a lot and you're not timid about in-ear canal headphones, Etymotic ER-4P.

There are many more headphones that are easily driven. This is just two examples of closed headphones. I chose closed because that will help block out outside noise and make these efficient headphones seem even louder.

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 13
double post

sorry
frown.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 3:57 PM Post #9 of 13
Hi joecrouton,

Koss Porta Pro just works fine with the ChromeX. Porta Pros are quite "loud" headphones, although they have an impedance of 60 ohms. (sennheiser MX500: 32 ohms / sennheiser HD600: 300 ohms; HD600s can hardly be driven by a ChromeX)

Bad thing about Porta Pros is that they're leaking sound. People sitting beside you in a train or in library will hear your music
very_evil_smiley.gif

Koss Plugs need fairly low volume-levels as they seal your ears from outside. Unfortunately, they sound rather crappy (IMO).

I never tried Sony EX70LP, maybe anyone else here did and can tell you how good they sound with the Chromex.
confused.gif

Apr 3, 2003 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 13
As others have said, you should look at sensitivity.

But, if you want to maximize power transmission, then you should match the impedence of the amp to the headphone. For example, if the impedence output of the amp is 120 ohms, then look for headphones that are close to the number.

I echo what has been said about closed phones with good isolation. This will optimize the transmission of acoustic power from the driver to your ear.

Apr 3, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 13
Well as i said, i bought a pana SL-SX420 CD/MP3 player, and with the bundeled phones, the sound is just barely acceptably loud at max. This thing had an 8mW x 8mW amp. The chromex is a better player, so I just want to buy some cheap phones that dont have to be maxed to get relatively loud volume.

Apr 3, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #12 of 13
IMO the Panasonic Mp3 players are better...but you'd never figure that out using STOCK headphones. Which if you've read anything on this board you'd realize STOCK headphones are undescribably crap.

But that is only my opinion...it has been a long time since I've cared about sheer volume or mega bass. I tend to like build quality and players that don't hiss at me like vipers now.

Apr 4, 2003 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 13
My Sennheiser HD497 plays pretty loud on the Panasonic SL-CT800 driven by a Radioshack Volume Booster. But I was told that I will get better quality sound if I use better headphone amps. Can't tell until I hear a better quality amp.

Look into the Sennheiser PX200. It should play a little louder than the HD497.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back