More Mini competition in the new Muvo2 FM
Sep 3, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #16 of 28
I definitely agree that the screen is too small and the user interface is too simple, but the Muvo2 is the player that I use the most now (light, small, rugged, decent capacity, fast transfer speed, not id tag limited, swappable battery, LCD remote, folder navigation).

Sep 5, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sczervok
I'm not very fond of MuVo2's interface. I hate that tiny screen. But I dislike the interface and music listening method even worse. I mean, it works, but it's kinda crude.

Hmh, why that?

Concerning the display: I am not wasting my time looking at the Muvo2, I am listening to it! Since I usually load the thing by myself I also know what is on it. And I mostly use that thing when cycling or running around. To cut it short: I do not take a look at the display too often anyway. And it is truly not that bad. It contains all the info you usually need... I definitely prefer the very small size (and the very acceptable running time) of this unit over a useless multi-color XL-Display.

Concerning the interface: It is simple and easy to use but still lacks no essential features. What´s wrong with that? You can use playlist- or folder navigation. You may listen to your folders by random (seperately or alltogether) and so on. What do you miss?

And what do you mean with "music listening method"? Something wrong with an output via headphones?
lambda.gif

Sep 6, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #20 of 28
Granted, I understand your point with screen size and have defended the issue in regards to BMW's Ipod installation where you don't have a lot visually to work with because the IPOD is located in the glove compartment, but when you are driving all you want to do is set a playlist and enjoy the music. In the case of portable players, most of the time you are on the go and once you've set your music on the player, the only thing you want to have access to are the forward or back button to skip some songs and most of the other time couldn't care about looking at the screen for information.

It's just that it looks like Creative chose to make the window size as a cost cutting measure and nothing else. When I originally got my Zen NX, in comparison to the other players that were out at the time, the NX window size was pretty stingy until they moved up to the larger size windowed Xtra. So, I know Creative is capable of producing a player that competes with the players out there with LCD real estate, but IMHO, when you look at Creative's Muvo, Muvo 2, Slim, X-trainer, they've all got the same size screens with not a lot of imagination and no further progress has gone into their newest Muvo 2 FM. Screen size is either an issue to you or it isn't and you might not need visual information all the time, but when you do the Muvo line fails in that regard.

Sep 6, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 28
how is it going to compete with almost being twice the price?

with $450, i could buy a 40gb hd player and a pair of $75 headphone.

why do they think white is so attractive.

Sep 6, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
how is it going to compete with almost being twice the price? with $450, i could buy a 40gb hd player and a pair of $75 headphone.

Probably thats the price on Singapore.

Sep 6, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #23 of 28
Creative Zen Portable Media center is $470 U.S. Doubt if Creative could pull off a $450 price tag for a 5G player.

Like Inuyasha said, probably singapore pricing. I'm guessing around the $220 / $230 for the FM to compete with the IPOD mini's and Carbons of this world.

Sep 7, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
i have the older Muvo2. the screen absolutely ruins it. hate that thing.

But hey, no headphone static like some similar 4-5GB players that have shinny metal cases. Sorry Austonia, I couldn’t resist.

Seriously though, if you want a small simple player with good sound that can randomly play all you music or play one album, then the Muvo2 series is pretty good. As others have said…select, play, then put in pocket. If you require more features, are into the player’s looks or like to browse for individual songs or genres, then the Muvo2 is not for you.

plainface.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #25 of 28
I agree callanish and GSTom 1.

The only thing that I miss on the Muvo2 is the ability to create a playlist on the fly. Let Creative add this feature and the Muvo2 is the perfect player for me.

Hmh with a capacity of 40 GB that size that is...
eggosmile.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #26 of 28
Apparently, the Seagate 1-inch ST1 5GB Microdrive in the Muvo2 FM (and the Rio Carbon) can be cannibalized for use in a digital camera and other devices. Well, they say this can be done with the first batch of Muvo2 FMs, but who knows if Creative Labs (or Rio) or Seagate have wised up yet.

Here is a guide for removing the Microdrive from the Muvo2 FM:

Creative MuVo² FM 5GB Seagate CF Removal

icon10.gif

Oct 22, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #27 of 28
after reading a babelfish translation of
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...001/dev087.htm

it seems that the fm recording is in ADPCM 4bit/16kHz/ stereo

sounds like it's recording in wav and not mp3

did the previous muvo2 with separate fm remote record in mp3? [my assumption cos it uses the NJB3 fm remote which does record in mp3 128kbps]

can anyone verify this?

would like a ums mp3 player with built-in mp3 fm recording

iriver ifp-series looks the closest fit, but UMS firmware limits it to 96kbps mp3 recording

zen micro is semi ums, i.e. a separate partition of data files can be transfer w/o drivers [info from nomadness.net ]
http://nomadness.net/modules.php?nam...r=asc&start=15

Oct 23, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by evo
after reading a babelfish translation of
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...001/dev087.htm

it seems that the fm recording is in ADPCM 4bit/16kHz/ stereo

sounds like it's recording in wav and not mp3

did the previous muvo2 with separate fm remote record in mp3? [my assumption cos it uses the NJB3 fm remote which does record in mp3 128kbps]

can anyone verify this?

I have both the NJB3 and Muvo2 (version 1) and the FM remote. The NJB3 does record in both MP3 and WAV. The Muvo2 ONLY records in 4 bit WAV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back