More LCD monitor questions
Jun 4, 2006 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I made a thread a while back, because I was planning on buying an LCD monitor when I moved, and just leaving my old CRT monitor.

Well, I'm moved, and I don't have a monitor, and all my music is on my desktop, which I cant boot up because I don't have a monitor!

The only hold up, is that if I get an LCD, I want to be able to play my PS2 on it, since I don't have a TV here. Now, monitors with video inputs are not available locally, and even newegg doesn't have many. Someone on here said there exists a gizmo, where you can hook up video inputs and it will convert it to VGA, so I wouldn't have to buy a special monitor. But all the ones I found online are almost $100. For that much, I would just buy a cheap TV.

I have a DFI RS482 microATX motherboard with video out, and I think video in. You think there'd be some way to get my computer to do it.

I've also decided to get a 19" non-widescreen. I think the verticalness is more useful for a computer monitor because of the scrolling you do. I didn't want to spend more than $300.

Again, I HAVE a nice sony TV at home....I just want a computer monitor, that I can hook my friggen PS2 up to, somehow.

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 13
Go a little over budget and get the LG L2000C. I can not praise this monitor enough. I originally wanted a 19" as well, but the only monitor that met my strict requirements was the LG L2000C. A true 8-bit panel, great response time, great contrast ratio, and the smallest possible dot pitch. It will not disappoint. Besides, this is head-fi, who sticks to their original budget?
icon10.gif

Jun 5, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 13
You need to buy a seperate tv for your PS2. There are only 2 worthwhile converters out there (vdigi and x2vga) and both only run on progressive scan games. (so like 99% of the ps2 catalog is out)
Plus theres the issue of native resolution. Even if you could pass through the signal to your lcd (ive done this via VIVO) it looks horrific.
Xbox has nearly all its games in proscan so you can team up any of the good vga adapters with a crt and bask in all the glory. The only ps2 games that work are the proscan ones (see the list at hdtv arcade.com) which are almost always sony 1st party games. They look decent but the xbox games are better.
True lcd monitors and consoles just dont mix well. An LCD tv would work ok but they arent very good for PCs. Chose whichever you need most and go in that direction.

Jun 5, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #7 of 13
It'll probably be easier to just pick up some used TV in addition to a computer screen - at least this way one should be able to pick up the better monitor.

Here are some interesting sites that have been mentioned over at SPCR btw:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/
http://www.behardware.com/

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 13
I guess I'll just forget my Ps2 for the summer (it's too nice out anyway), and just get something good for computer use. I'm not buying another TV, but there might be one in the lounge with video ins.

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 13
Well, I'd say you shouldn't go widescreen... because once you do you'll never be able to go back!
biggrin.gif

Everything gets better with widescreen, except you do have to have a good machine to run newer games at insane widescreen resolutions.

Even if you don't go widescreen, dell monitors are of excellent quality, and many feature composite video inputs (for things like video game consoles). I play my Dreamcast (not on RGB, yet) and N64 on my dell 2005fpw and it works great.

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #12 of 13
how about a tv-in card? I have a nice one with s-video in and it looks decent on my 19" widescreen lcd

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 13
DON"T get a tv vid card for videogames. i have one and I like it for various applications but gaming is not one of them. Amoung the graphics forums it's well know that there is a HUGE delay between the output from the playstation and the image on the computer lcd. By huge I mean maybe a quarter of a second but enougth that I even noticed it in my turn based rpgs!
eek.gif
So I would stay away from that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back