More color, superb sound: Three new in-ear headphones from beyerdynamic - DTX 71 iE, DTX 101 iE and MMX 101 iE
Apr 5, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #48 of 56
just ordered the MMX 101ie from the direct site...hope it's a good earphone.

It is a very good earphone. I was lucky to spend some time with these playing from my iPhone at our last head-fi meet in Denmark and they sound fantastic. they are well built and they look even better than in the pictures. I might end up with a pair one day.

Jun 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #49 of 56
I am now deciding between the DTX 80 and 100. Are the 71iE and 101iE really the same as the 80 and 100 respectively? I am wondering if it's really worth waiting for their official arrival?

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #51 of 56

Awesome but not perfect (for me). The IEMs are very stylish, great specifications... but for the iPod/iPhone/iPad user I see a fault which is the 3.5 connector. It's 'L' shaped therefore when plugged into an iPod and placed into a pocket the wire will have to bend very steeply, this will not only be uncomfortable but also cause it to break after a short time period.
The simple solution would be to make it 'I' shaped or make it adjustable, hope you'll implement this in your next version '102 iE'! :wink:

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #52 of 56
Joker review!

"(2C36) Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE / MMX 101 iE

Reviewed May 2011

Details: Mid-range model from Beyer’s recently-refreshed IEM line
Current Price: $89 from beyerdynamic.com (MSRP: $89); $125 for MMX 101 iE with microphone
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 12Ω | Sens: 102 dB | Freq: 10-23k Hz | Cable: 3.9’ L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), cable clip, VOIP/Skype adapter, and zippered soft carrying case
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The housings of the DTX 101 are slightly smaller in size than those of the DTX 71 and boast a metal outer shell. Strain reliefs are fully integrated and the rubbery cable is sturdy and fairly flexible. The 3.5mm L-plug and y-split are both very well-relieved
Isolation (4/5) – Good for a straight-barrel dynamic
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; nearly nonexistent otherwise
Comfort (4/5) – The DTX 101 is slightly heavier than the DTX 71 but the housings are slimmer. Like the lower-end model, it doesn’t require particularly deep insertion to sound its best and remains quite comfortable even for lengthy listening sessions as a result

Sound (7.5/10) – If the low end of the DTX 71 is merely ‘emphasized’ compared to a balanced in-ear such as the RE-ZERO, the DTX 101 can definitely be characterized as a bass-heavy earphone. The bass isn’t quite as authoritative as that of the Fischer Audio Eterna or a well-sealed Nuforce NE-700X but it is at the very least on-par with the Monster Turbine and Thinksound TS02 and can definitely be excessive for my taste. The low end of the DTX 101 is deep and powerful, providing impressive sub-bass presence. It is at least as controlled as that of the DTX 71 but is disadvantaged slightly by the relatively greater bass emphasis of the higher-end model. Next to more analytical presence the bass does sound a touch boomy, as expected, but for the quantity of bass to be contained, the DTX 101 performs quite well.

The midrange is warmed up by the emphasized low end and comes off slightly more colored than that of the DTX 71. It is also more recessed relative to the low end, though the mids of the Fischer Audio Eterna are more recessed still. The clarity of the Eterna wins out by a hair while detail levels are quite evenly matched between the two. The earphone remains smooth moving into the lower treble. The treble itself is a bit more extended compared to that of the lower-end model and the entire sound signature is a touch cleaner and more airy as a result. The difference is very small, however, and doesn’t affect the tone of the earphone – the greater bass presence ensures that the DTX 101 sounds a bit darker than the DTX 71.

The presentation of the earphones is similar to that of the DTX 71 with a slightly larger soundstage side and a marginally better layering. Due to improved treble extension, the DTX 101 sounds a bit more open than the 71 but again the difference is small. Darker tone aside, the DTX can also compete in timbre with some of the better dynamics in the price range. Worth noting is the low impedance of the DTX 101 – like the DTX 71, the higher end model was obviously designed with portable devices in mind and an impedance adapter does help with the severe impedance mismatch when plugging either earphone into a computer or full-size amp.

Value (9/10) – Better than any press release or marketing material, the design of the DTX 101 iE shows that Beyerdynamic has taken their new in-ear line very seriously. The engineers obviously did their homework regarding what works and what doesn’t creating an earphone that – save for some cable noise when worn cable-down – provides excellent real-world usability. Though no fancy materials or innovative cabling solutions are used in its construction, the DTX 101, like the similarly-priced Etymotic MC5, should be able to withstand considerable abuse. Sonically, the DTX 101 is not a large step up from the cheaper DTX 71 model, but it is the little differences that help the 101 remain a competent performer despite the bass-biased balance. Personally, I prefer the balance of the DTX 71, but that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying the DTX 101 while out and about.

Pros: Very well-built; good overall sound quality with heavy bass; skype adapter included
Cons: Mesh carrying pouch is underwhelming; cable noise can be annoying with cable-down fitment; not as balanced as DTX 71 iE"

taken from http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-197-iems-compared-bowers-wilkins-c5-atrio-mg7-added-9-24-11

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #53 of 56
I Think the MMX101 Will replace my Etymotics when i need a new IEM.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #54 of 56
not even 3 weeks passed since I had got my DTX 101. yesterday I went for my routine jog. then I noticed that left bud was sounding strange and quieter. I was really frustrated as it is my third pair of 100$ iems that didn't even make it to a couple of months. this morning they sounded perfectly fine, don't know what to make of it. course it might have been a sweat drop that had soaked inside the housing and dried over night, but this seems highly unlikely to me, since my years were dry. don't know what to make of it.

Didn't like the sound at all though. expected a lot more from isolation. waste of money, imo.

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #55 of 56
So I was searching for the frequency response on the DTX 101 iE and I was only able to have found this:

http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/beyerdynamic-dtx-101-ie/

It seems like a very beautiful close to linear frequency response with a slight peak at around 6k (lower treble) and treble start to tailor off gradually after around 10k.
Can anyone verify the accuracy of the graph, perhaps from a second source?

By interpreting this frequency response, the bass is present and smooth all the way across to the mid frequency and the high is slight pronounced at around 6k but not too harsh. Treble and higher treble is slightly rolled off which offers a slightly darker sound signature, (at the expense of clarity and detail in that range?)

If the graph presented there is fairly accurate, then we're looking at a very competitive earphones that's true to the original recordings with little coloration. (This can go either way, though, flat, boring, more natural sounding or it can be still perceived as dynamic sounding - dependent on how Beyer really engineered the sound, the driver unit, acoustic adjustment, etc which will have an effect to how human ears perceives the sonic experience.)

The DTX 101 iE seems to get mixed review in both ways I mentioned above, it's hard for me to draw a conclusion. I wonder if this is what I'm looking to get - a dynamic sounding earphones but true to the original recordings like the DT 880/990s that I much in love with.

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #56 of 56
By listening to the MMX101 I can confirm the frequency response. The signature of the sound is smooth and warm to neutral and with a good bass impact. I think it is meant to aim for the consumer market so this explains the somewhat darker sound with a little but balanced emphasis on bass. I like its sound but where it comes short is in overall resolution. It has dynamic drivers and they lack a little in speed and clarity compared to balanced armatures. But for the price and overall I like its sound very much. It is my prefered headset for mixed phonecalls and some casual music listening in between. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back