More bass... (but not too much)
Oct 4, 2008 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Lately I have been finding the bass produced by my AD700s to be, well, lacking. Especially for gaming. I think the new Denon earphones are messing with me...
biggrin.gif

As succinctly as I can put it, I'm wondering what I can go to next. I'm still thinking about an '03 DT880, but I'm not too sure it'd work well with my amp.

I'd prefer open- or semi-open designs, as I haven't had much luck using a closed headphone over hair and glasses. Budget is going to be in the $200 range. These will be used as my AD700s are used now; connected to my CIAudio VHP-1 headamp fed by an Alien USB DAC.

Any suggestions?

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 29
Oct 4, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 29
the best way to give a natural Bass boost to open headphones under $10 is to use Fiio E3.

it really works for my HD555 for Trance music.

but of course then saving money is a sin on Head-fi ..so go ahead spend $200 just for Bass boost for Gaming

Oct 4, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you try an open AKG? A brandnew K601 can be had for 190 USD (AKG*K601*Stereo Headphone K-601 Studio PRO DJ BRAND NEW - eBay, Other, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics. (Eindtijd 08-okt-08 01:57:35 CEST)) and an AKG K501 usually for 50 USD less, although none seems to be on offer at the moment at fleabay. I like the AKG bass very much; it's lean, but well-defined and never lacks (to my ears that is). It compares favourable to the ATH-AD900 bass, I think.

I can second the akg suggestion I use the k141 and 240 and the bass is great not boomy just punchy and very clean.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #5 of 29
Hmm, the 501's on eBay must have been sold (they were still up some time last week, too bad). anyway, there are still 500's and 340's on eBay if you're looking at AKG. also a 601 for around 190.

Oct 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best way to give a natural Bass boost to open headphones under $10 is to use Fiio E3.

I'd disagree with this as the Fiio is very picky synergy wise.
A much better option is to change the opamp of the soundcard/DAC.
The Fiio will boost the bass sure, but it darkens the headphones and if your headphones have wide soundstage, it will lessen it too. It only expands the soundstage for phones or in-ears that have a small soundstage. The Fiio is designed for portable 'phones and in-ears and should be used as such IMO.

Quote:

but of course then saving money is a sin on Head-fi ..so go ahead spend $200 just for Bass boost for Gaming

Gaming soundcards = Creative drivers = bass boost in Game Mode?

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Why don't you try an open AKG? A brandnew K601 can be had for 190 USD (AKG*K601*Stereo Headphone K-601 Studio PRO DJ BRAND NEW - eBay, Other, Pro Audio Stage Effects, Electronics. (Eindtijd 08-okt-08 01:57:35 CEST)) and an AKG K501 usually for 50 USD less, although none seems to be on offer at the moment at fleabay. I like the AKG bass very much; it's lean, but well-defined and never lacks (to my ears that is). It compares favourable to the ATH-AD900 bass, I think.

x2 on the AKG K-601

Oct 4, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Fiio will boost the bass sure, but it darkens the headphones and if your headphones have wide soundstage, it will lessen it too. It only expands the soundstage for phones or in-ears that have a small soundstage. The Fiio is designed for portable 'phones and in-ears and should be used as such IMO.

I agree that Fiio has to be matched properly. IMO it has to be matched with phones with good treble, both in quantity and extension, else it simply kill the sparkle and ends up muddy. With the somewhat treble heavy HD215, it still manage to sound sparkly and airy. Though personally I don't find it a good match with sensitive IEM as it hisses quite badly with my ER-4P.

And "natural bass boost" is an oxymoron btw.
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 29
My experience from AKG K701, K500 & K340 (bass light) is that they all lack the bass you might want.

K701 might have good bass when properly amplified and K340 will need even more amplification.

So for the price of good amp + AKG you could probably get some Denon's or whatnot. AKG's does sound good but they aren't basshead's cans.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wtv u read...but never try to use FiiO with IEM's ... they ll be permanently damaged.

lot of people spoiled their Q-Jays with that setup.

FiiO is a cheap solution and not the ideal solution as i mentioned.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

I may look into that, thanks! Would a 601 work for the music I listen to--largely [bluesy, avant-garde, experimental] metal, post-rock, glitch, IDM and dark ambient? I've heard the 501/601 have excellent mids, but I've never listened to the headphones myself at all.

I was considering a pair of MP or LP Sextetts as well, but I'm concerned about my amp's ability to drive those headphones.

Quote:

it really works for my HD555 for Trance music.

If you had read the whole post, you would see that my headphones are already connected to a headphone amp that craps all over the FiiO.
biggrin.gif
The VHP-1 adds a good deal of bass in comparison to the AD700 unamped, but the headphones themselves are still lacking in when it comes to gaming and movies.

And it's not just $200 for gaming; at least half of my home headphone use is for gaming and movies/anime. So it's a very significant portion of my use, and I feel it does warrant a change.

Oct 4, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Wtv u read...but never try to use FiiO with IEM's ... they ll be permanently damaged.

It is advertised as a portable amp last time I heard....

Oct 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

lot of people spoiled their Q-Jays with that setup.

FiiO is a cheap solution and not the ideal solution as i mentioned.

And what are your sources for this claims ?

Oct 13, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I have been finding the bass produced by my AD700s to be, well, lacking Especially for gaming.

Any suggestions?

Try Ultrasone PL2500/PL650, see if you like the bass and the S-Logic Natural Surround Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back