Moondrop VENUS Planar. Moondrop PARA Planar. Moondrop COSMO Planar (re-equipped with the PARA Hybrid pads): new flagship.
Dec 6, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #76 of 419
Any pics of Para drivers?
Here.

Para drivers.

DSC08567.jpg

DSC08563.jpg

Para Driver

Source: https://boizoff.com/moondrop-para-review/

For comparison, the VENUS driver, with the same diameter as the PARA (100 mm), is quite different.

2x 9 Neodium N52 profiled (rounded) magnets per driver for the VENUS; against 2 x 9 non-profiled Neodium N52 magnets (square) per driver for the PARA.

Plate (frames) magnet holder in metal (aluminum) for the VENUS and in plastic for the PARA.

Ultrathin 2 micrometer membrane for VENUS; completely different membrane (thickness not specified) for PARA.

MoonDrop_Venus_Driver.jpg

VENUS Driver (more technical ?)

Source : https://headphones.com/blogs/review...ook-at-headphone-s-most-promising-new-entrant

4b9bb8a0e8cf68cc020c3bf051b5616f.jpg

VENUS Driver against the light.

and also (VENUS Driver)

close-up-of-the-new-moondrop-venus-drivers-v0-0z5er0zw9z0a1.jpg

close-up-of-the-new-moondrop-venus-drivers-v0-6iokb1zw9z0a1.jpg

close-up-of-the-new-moondrop-venus-drivers-v0-li6er0zw9z0a1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 5:23 AM Post #77 of 419
Hello everyone.

I have just received the PARA in France at my home (at least its box wich comes directly from China); I don't have time to do an "Outboxing" of the PARA according rules, right away; you will have to wait a little.
For comparative listening between the PARA and the VENUS, it will be for this weekend, once I have recovered a little from my lack of sleep accumulated this week.

23120711532723553818315209.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #79 of 419
As promised, here is the “unboxing” of the Moondrop PARA.

The box is beautiful (and qualitative); I like it just as much as the VENUS one. :)

23120709572223553818315541.jpg

23120708133923553818315492.jpg

23120708134023553818315493.jpg

No surprise, inside the box, there is the PARA headphone, carefully packaged (just like the VENUS); Note that the PARA comes automatically with hybrid pads (velvet-leather); we will also notice that the earpieces are in place (and not dislocated, as was the case for one of them, for the VENUS whose transport must have been eventful).

Straight out of the box, the helmet was immediately put on my head, after adjusting the height of the headphone (very easy operation).

The headphone size large, it's a real slipper; it will pose no problem for heads even larger than mine.

It is a little lighter than the VENUS, and also even more comfortable (it's a real slipper) with a fairly low clamping force, a little weaker than that of the VENUS, and incommensurate with the vice of a Sennheiser HD-600 (clamping limit prohibitive of the HD-600 for my big head).

There are, imho, two reasons for having a weaker clamping (very light) of the PARA versus VENUS: firstly its lighter weight (the headband brings the edges of the headband less together under the effect of the weight of the headphone , it's mechanical), and on the other hand the PARA arch is thinner (less wide) than that of the VENUS; you will see it very well for the last photo.

Concerning the weight of the PARA, no problem: the headband distributes the weight very well over its entire surface and the top of the head; zero hot spots, just like the VENUS, even if the weight of the VENUS is felt a little more on the head (but still very acceptable).

PARA's hybrid pads are particularly soft; Comparatively, those of the VENUS are a little firmer, but still very comfortable, when adjusted properly.

23120708134023553818315494.jpg

As an accessory to the PARA, you have the same black cable as that of the VENUS, with its 3.5/6.35 mm jack adapter; curiously the black cable of the PARA is 4 cm shorter than that of the VENUS: 146 cm long versus 150 cm).

The VENUS, for its part, has another cable, silver, also 1.50 cm long, in silver Litz wire, with a symmetrical 4.4 mm termination (for dap); I use it for my VENUS with a double serial adapter (symmetrical 4.4 mm --> unbalanced 3.5 mm jack --> 6.35 mm jack).

You also delivered with the PARA a pair of additional pads (in perforated leather on both sides) which can be seen in its packaging; Boizoff will give you a complete description in his blog.
https://boizoff.com/moondrop-para-review/

The following photos allow a visual comparison between the PARA and the VENUS.

Personally I find them both beautiful, very well constructed and finished.

It must nevertheless be admitted that the presentation and finish of the VENUS is even more luxurious than that of the PARA.

The VENUS is constructed entirely of metal, while the PARA also incorporates plastic; the VENUS is, in my opinion, more elegant and finer in terms of design, which appears more subtle and detailed (I am not talking about sound, but only about the visual appearance).

The greater weight of the VENUS in hand reassures more about its quality than that of the PARA, even if everyone now knows the Achilles heel of the VENUS, its fixation (the fragile attachment of the suspension strip) which, with VENUS, requires very gentle for it handling (it is a fragile and delicate headphone).
The PARA should fare better, probably more robust, even if also built lighter.

23120708134123553818315497.jpg

23120708134223553818315498.jpg

23120708134123553818315496.jpg

23120708134123553818315495.jpg

23120708134223553818315499.jpg

I think I'm going to bed early tonight (it's 9 p.m. tonight in France).

The comparison of these headphones will be for this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #81 of 419
In appearance, Venus is richer. We are looking forward to the sound comparison😀

Hi.

As written on the French forum HCFR, by a forum member (Sylvanor), the presentation of the VENUS is luxurious for its price, and should be a reference.

Let's not forget that the PARA costs half as much as the VENUS; in a way, its presentation is just as luxurious for its price (half that of the VENUS ); it should also serve as a reference headphone (in its presentation). :)

As for the sound, I'm giving myself a few days (this weekend) to carefully compare the sound presentations of these two headphones, already with each other, but also compared to my Sennheiser headphones (HD-58X, HD-400 Pro and HD-560S, other references in terms of sound) and also the Thror (which would be the reference headphones at Kennerton).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #83 of 419
Can someone kindly measure the internal dimensions of both sets of Para pads please? Thanks!

Hi

The dimensions of the pads delivered with the PARA are as follows.

. Hybrid pads (leather and velvet installed on the PARA out of the box):
External diameter: 10 cm
Depth 2 cm
Internal oval: 7 x 4 cm.

23120801231323553818315731.jpg

. Alternative pads (in micro-perforated leather on both sides)
Depth 2 cm
Internal diameter: 7 cm.

23120801231323553818315732.jpg

23120801231323553818315733.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #84 of 419
As promised, here is the “unboxing” of the Moondrop PARA.

The box is beautiful (and qualitative); I like it just as much as the VENUS one. :)

23120709572223553818315541.jpg

23120708133923553818315492.jpg

23120708134023553818315493.jpg

No surprise, inside the box, there is the PARA headphone, carefully packaged (just like the VENUS); Note that the PARA comes automatically with hybrid pads (velvet-leather); we will also notice that the earpieces are in place (and not dislocated, as was the case for one of them, for the VENUS whose transport must have been eventful).

Straight out of the box, the helmet was immediately put on my head, after adjusting the height of the headphone (very easy operation).

The headphone size large, it's a real slipper; it will pose no problem for heads even larger than mine.

It is a little lighter than the VENUS, and also even more comfortable (it's a real slipper) with a fairly low clamping force, a little weaker than that of the VENUS, and incommensurate with the vice of a Sennheiser HD-600 (clamping limit prohibitive of the HD-600 for my big head).

There are, imho, two reasons for having a weaker clamping (very light) of the PARA versus VENUS: firstly its lighter weight (the headband brings the edges of the headband less together under the effect of the weight of the headphone , it's mechanical), and on the other hand the PARA arch is thinner (less wide) than that of the VENUS; you will see it very well for the last photo.

Concerning the weight of the PARA, no problem: the headband distributes the weight very well over its entire surface and the top of the head; zero hot spots, just like the VENUS, even if the weight of the VENUS is felt a little more on the head (but still very acceptable).

PARA's hybrid pads are particularly soft; Comparatively, those of the VENUS are a little firmer, but still very comfortable, when adjusted properly.

23120708134023553818315494.jpg

As an accessory to the PARA, you have the same black cable as that of the VENUS, with its 3.5/6.35 mm jack adapter; curiously the black cable of the PARA is 4 cm shorter than that of the VENUS: 146 cm long versus 150 cm).

The VENUS, for its part, has another cable, silver, also 1.50 cm long, in silver Litz wire, with a symmetrical 4.4 mm termination (for dap); I use it for my VENUS with a double serial adapter (symmetrical 4.4 mm --> unbalanced 3.5 mm jack --> 6.35 mm jack).

You also delivered with the PARA a pair of additional pads (in perforated leather on both sides) which can be seen in its packaging; Boizoff will give you a complete description in his blog.
https://boizoff.com/moondrop-para-review/

The following photos allow a visual comparison between the PARA and the VENUS.

Personally I find them both beautiful, very well constructed and finished.

It must nevertheless be admitted that the presentation and finish of the VENUS is even more luxurious than that of the PARA.

The VENUS is constructed entirely of metal, while the PARA also incorporates plastic; the VENUS is, in my opinion, more elegant and finer in terms of design, which appears more subtle and detailed (I am not talking about sound, but only about the visual appearance).

The greater weight of the VENUS in hand reassures more about its quality than that of the PARA, even if everyone now knows the Achilles heel of the VENUS, its fixation (the fragile attachment of the suspension strip) which, with VENUS, requires very gentle for it handling (it is a fragile and delicate headphone).
The PARA should fare better, probably more robust, even if also built lighter.

23120708134123553818315497.jpg

23120708134223553818315498.jpg

23120708134123553818315496.jpg

23120708134123553818315495.jpg

23120708134223553818315499.jpg

I think I'm going to bed early tonight (it's 9 p.m. tonight in France).

The comparison of these headphones will be for this weekend. :)
Thanks very much for the first comparison, aesthetics... I thought that you have received just the Para's box... You are so funny :smile:

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #85 of 419
Hi

The dimensions of the pads delivered with the PARA are as follows.

. Hybrid pads (leather and velvet installed on the PARA out of the box):
Depth 2 cm
Internal oval: 7 x 4 cm.

23120801231323553818315731.jpg

. Alternative pads (in micro-perforated leather on both sides)
Depth 2 cm
Internal diameter: 7 cm.

23120801231323553818315732.jpg

23120801231323553818315733.jpg
Seems like same dimensions of the Denon 9200s pads (one forum member measured them for me) that could fit my ears (although with not enough room to adjust the headphones)... You know, Eric, with the HD 800 big and roomy pads, I have, obviously, no issues at all...

Just because of this concern, I will not going with my initial plan to purchase the Emu teaks: inner hole of the pads: 6 X 3 cm (another forum member measured them for me in it's thread). I asked there to measure them because I saw some comments on-line about that and, as you suppose, I have big ears...

Right now, I'm waiting for the classical Senn 580, and after that I will see which will be the next... maybe those Para or another pair of Sennies... :thinking:

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #86 of 419
Seems like same dimensions of the Denon 9200s pads (one forum member measured them for me) that could fit my ears (although with not enough room to adjust the headphones)... You know, Eric, with the HD 800 big and roomy pads, I have, obviously, no issues at all...

Just because of this concern, I will not going with my initial plan to purchase the Emu teaks: inner hole of the pads: 6 X 3 cm (another forum member measured them for me in it's thread). I asked there to measure them because I saw some comments on-line about that and, as you suppose, I have big ears...

Right now, I'm waiting for the classical Senn 580, and after that I will see which will be the next... maybe those Para or another pair of Sennies... :thinking:

Good evening Terriero.

If you have large ears, well the VENUS will be even more comfortable than the PARA: I just measured the VENUS pads.
. External diameter: 11 cm.
. Internal diameter: 7.5 cm
. Depth at the back of the pads: 2.5 cm
. Depth at the front of the pads: 2 cm.

Otherwise, I'm going to get a good night's sleep to be in good shape on Saturday.; tomorrow, I'll get down to business: after comparing the boxes of the PARA and VENUS moondrop headphones and the aesthetic aspect of these headphones (and also their respective comfort), I will move on to comparing the sounds; let's not forget that these headphones are also used to listen to music; they are not just trinkets to look at on a shelf. :wink:

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #88 of 419
Like your Thekk and Thror :wink:

Indeed. :wink:

The Thekk slept in a display case for a long time, replaced by my Sennheiser headphones. I was charitable, I gave it to a friend.
It was a beautiful headphone to look at, but it was sorely lacking in high midrange.
As for the Thror, I still have it, it's the benchmark for high-end open planar headphones from Kennerton; I gave it to my eldest son, but it was gathering dust on his desk (NB: he prefers to listen to music with Apple AirPods Pro.. Ah these young people!)
I got it back; it will be used in my headphones comparison.

22011709335823553817754588.jpg

22011709335823553817754587.jpg

Otherwise, I'm warming up the 2A3 headphone amp and preparing my set list for listening to headphones: the first demo will be that of the battle (not of headphones) but of the film Gladiator in the Live in Prague by Hans Zimmer, of whom I recall the audio-visual quality of this live concert on blu-ray media: 48K LPCM sound track (uncompressed).
https://expressiveaudio.com/blogs/record-review/hans-zimmer-live-in-prague

EDIT: The second demo that I plan to listen to this afternoon is that of the Lion King (Live In Prague), from the same Live concert by Zimmer with its two African voices, male and female, with also the choirs and accompanying instruments (numerous).

Finally, to conclude my demos, to judge the dynamics of the headphones, their resolution and the speed of the percussion, the 3rd and last demo that I plan to use this afternoon for this headphone comparison, will be the one already presented for this concert live on Blu-Ray, the "160 BPM Angels & Demons Live In Prague"

EDIT bis: A bonus, to close this headphone comparison, that I added at the last moment to my set list, this time on an audio CD with my Audiomat high-end D1 Drive CD player; with a female voice, that of soprano Natalie DESSAY covering a Nougaro song.

23120908590423553818316161.jpg

The headphones comparison is getting ready...

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #89 of 419
Hello everyone.

Small interlude.

Sorry my set list used to compare headphones includes quite a few Zimmers.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-reasonable-price.970569/page-6#post-17858587

At the beginning of the afternoon (in France) I listened to the first demo (that of Gladiator), with in the order of listening: The Thror, the HD-400 Pro, the HD-58X, the VENUS then the PARA, then switching from one headphone to another to study several details and confirm or deny my first impressions.

But on this demo alone (note: hearing and viewing it with wearing glasses with medium arms, the ones I use for watching movies or driving), I'm a little afraid that the mass has been said.

However, to maintain the suspense, knowing that I only listened to one demo out of four this afternoon, I will still listen to the other three.

Do we ever know.

I go back to my listening.

(three and a half hours later) ..

I'm not going to prolong the suspense any longer.

The three other demos listened to this afternoon did not change anything from my first listening impressions at the beginning of the afternoon, on the first demo.

Verdict, which should not surprise René too much.

I just want to clarify that I listened to these demos on my main Hi-Fi system (see the photo of the system below), with my ear sensitivity which is mine (with a shortened hearing above 10- 12 KHz).

Drum roll ...

VENUS >> PARA >= HD-58X > HD-400 Pro > Thror.

Two headphones stand out from the crowd.
- The VENUS: it really stands out from all the other headphones, and is well ahead of them all.
- The Thror, and this is less glorious for it, because it also stands out from all the others, but by its least realistic tone of all and its shortened frequency response at both ends of the audio spectrum (amputation of part of the sound message, which is a shame).

The Thror listened to on the first demo is still very "midds-centric", has the least bass and sub-bass of all the headphones tested and cuts off the treble and harmonics in the treble, for vocals, but also violin, high percussion (cymbals) and brass which appear dull, lacking sparkle and brilliance. He's a little sad.

The VENUS stands out from all the others; it is from another class.
It is better in everything: it is the one which has the most beautiful timbres, the most refined, the most realistic, with the most beautiful midrange, the finest treble, the best balanced (for my ear); it is the one which is also the most detailed (to bring out the sound micro-details, perceived distinctly without the effect of blurring or mixing with other sounds); it is by far the most nuanced, with timbres that are both soft and detailed; it is also the one which offers the largest, most precise, best focused, most detailed soundstage, with a clear detachment of the instruments from each other, of the choir in the background, which stands out very distinctly from all the other instruments, themselves well placed and focused “materialized” in a distinct way.
It is the most three-dimensional soundstage with this “black background” which allows the instruments and voices to stand out that other headphones do not have.
In short, this is the best headphones of all, by far, after these test demos.

For the beauty of the tones, I retain 3 of the 5 headphones tested.
The VENUS, the one which gives both the most beautiful and good timbres (for listening to voices and instruments); most realistic and credible timbre (tone).
The HD-58X and the PARA tied for 2nd place.
The HD-58X gives slightly warmer tones than the PARA, which is comparatively a little colder.

The PARA is of the same level of technicality and sound resolution as the HD-58X; it differs from the HD-58X, apart from its comparatively a little "colder" timbres, by a slightly larger soundstage (similar to that of the HD-400 Pro/HD-560S); the other undeniable advantage of PARA, on Sennheiser headphones, is that it will suit large heads with significantly less clamping than that of the HD-58X, for example.
The level of sound detail is identical. It's a more "midds-centric" headphone than the VENUS, but much less "midds-centric" so than the Thror (much shorter at both ends of the audio spectrum at both ends of the audio spectrum); the timbres are much more accurate and natural than the Thror; it does not cut off the bass and sub-bass, nor the treble and harmonics in the treble (like the Thror); it is softer (calmer) than the VENUS in the treble (just like the HD-58X); however a little more sparkle in the treble of the PARA would not have bothered me.
As already said, the timbres of the PARA are beautiful, just like those of the HD-58X which compared to the PARA appear slightly "warmer"; but they do not reach the sumptuousness of the timbres of VENUS, imho of a class quite clearly above.
The refinement of the VENUS and the resolution are unrivaled, compared to all the other headphones tested (see the headphones comparison photo below).

Finally, for those who are not a fan of Hans Zimmer and his audio-visual concert (very well recorded) on DVD or Blu-ray (LPCM 48 KHz sound format), I listened with these headphones to the voice of the french soprano Natalie DESSAY, on the CD entitled DESSAY Nougaro, with my D1 Drive CD player + Audiomat dac ; and indeed the hierarchy given above, which I will put this time in reverse order is perfectly respected : Thror < HD-400 Pro < HD-58X <= PARA << VENUS.

The VENUS stands above the rest, in a class of its own (superior) ; the Thror brings up the rear.
In this last demo, very time we go from one headphone to another, starting with the Thror and ending with the VENUS, we say to ourselves that it's better, until we end up with the VENUS where we say to ourselves: wow, how beautiful it is ! We're approaching perfection (which doesn't exist), but that's the impression we get when switching from one headphone to another.

Just a remark concerning the comparison of the HD-400 Pro with the PARA, which seems interesting to me: on the one hand, with the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro, we have a "professional" reference electrodynamic headphone, which is used for mastering and mixing of sounds; on the other (Moondrop PARA) we also have here a high level (planar) headphone, at a similar price (300 Euros for the PARA and 220 Euros for the HD-400).

The advantage of the PARA over the HD-400 Pro (apart from its packaging, which is more pleasant to look at :beyersmile:), is the quality of its construction, almost all metal (or at least in appearance), whereas the HD- 400 Pro is almost all plastic.
The soundstages are quite similar, quite wide (more than deep), even if they do not reach (by far) the dimensions, precision and three-dimensionality of the VENUS soundstage.
The refinement of the PARA timbres is greater than that of the HD-400 Pro (wich comparatively have timbres that are a little rougher, less fine), and quite close to that of the HD-58X (finer than the HD- 400 Pro), but well below the VENUS, the most refined of all and in another (higher) class .
There's also more treble with the HD-400 Pro, comparatively brighter than the PARA (and HD-58X); comparatively the PARA is less bright; as already said, a hint of extra treble with the PARA would not have done any harm to give more sparkle to the brass and shine to the cymbals; a question of taste and ear sensitivity, perhaps.

Otherwise, don't forget that the PARA is a difficult headphone to drive and demanding for amplification (unlike the HD-400 Pro/ HD-560S); As much as the HD-400 Pro can be used on a PC sound card, you will need a real amplifier with "juice" to drive the PARA, which is not a particularly sensitive headphone.

I think the PARA is a good alternative headphone to the Sennheiser HD-400 Pro and HD-58X headphones, each having their respective qualities and faults. It's up to you to see (and above all to listen in turn).

I also think that the PARA does better (for sound) when the sound message is not too complex (like the last demo of my headphones comparisons, with the very well rendered voice, by the PARA, of the soprano voice of Natalie DESSAY and of a few accompanying instruments).
On the other hand, the PARA shows its limits more quickly on more complex and polyphonic sound messages (as with the music of Hans Zimmer), while the VENUS, which in no way simplifies the sound message (as the PARA does somewhat, less discriminant) is significantly more efficient (and to its advantage) by standing out with a good head (and a good class) compared to all the other headphones tested.

As for the VENUS, I don't see any competitors in all the headphones I've ever listened to (NB: I'm not taking into account the Sennheiser HE-1, out of the running due to its excessive price).

Otherwise, choosing between an HD-800 and a VENUS, I have not the shadow of a doubt: I choose the VENUS, even if the soundstage of the HD-800 is interesting, as is its definition , which are great.

I'll leave you to your thoughts.

23120908590423553818316161.jpg

PS: as for the future of my headphones.

I am thinking of giving my PARA to my eldest son; I hope it will be more successful than the Thror, at least to his ear.

As for the Thror, it will soon be placed on the shelf of a glass cabinet to protect it from dust; it deserves at least that.

Note: the original of the two French posts translated into English here (for this headphones comparison) is here: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181284221.html#p181284221

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #90 of 419
Eric, didn't I say to you in Kennerton thread some years ago to adopt me as your elder son? :relieved:

Thanks very much for your extense comparison... BTW, have you ever tried any Hifiman headphones? I would like to read about your impressions of them... specially comparing to those Venus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back