Moondrop VENUS Planar. Moondrop PARA Planar. Moondrop COSMO Planar (re-equipped with the PARA Hybrid pads): new flagship.
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #61 of 419
I agree with you, on the sound of Hans Zimmer in Prague, super sound recording, very detailed sound, you can hear every rustle of people in the hall, the bass vibrates in the headphones. Nice to listen. :relaxed:

Also a small selection of mine where it’s nice to listen, via Venus

:o2smile:

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #62 of 419
Hello everyone .

I just watched this YouTube video on the PARA (one more); I found it very restful and relaxing due to the presenter and the luxurious setting of the performance.
(NB: video subtitled and translatable into the language of your choice)

I learned three useful pieces of information:

1- the PARA is a very beautiful and good headphone, very well built, comfortable, even for big heads (like mine) (that's so much the better).
2- that the PARA completely outperformed the Verum 1 planar headphone (of the same price), except for the sensitivity, which was lower.
3- that the PARA was superior to a bookshelf speaker, KEF R3, at 2200 Euros per pair.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #63 of 419
I agree with you, on the sound of Hans Zimmer in Prague, super sound recording, very detailed sound, you can hear every rustle of people in the hall, the bass vibrates in the headphones. Nice to listen. :relaxed:

Also a small selection of mine where it’s nice to listen, via Venus

:o2smile:

Thanks for your small selection. :)

Concerning "Inception - Live in Prague", which closed the concert of Hans Zimmer, it is simply magnificent. (*)
(*) on the blu-ray of this live concert, very well sound recorded and filmed; uncompressed sound in PCM format.
https://expressiveaudio.com/blogs/record-review/hans-zimmer-live-in-prague

For my ears the VENUS is perfect for the reproduction of this live concert

Not enough bass; too much treble?

None of that: just a great emotion to listen to (and visualize) this grandiose finale of Hans Zimmer's concert, with a fullness of sound extending from the sub-bass to the highest harmonics, a luxury of sound details, astonishing precision, and then these last notes of the piano and the violin...

(Note : the atmosphere of the concert is also very well reproduced for the most credible applause)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #64 of 419
I completely agree with you on the sound of Hans Zimmer - Live In Prague, the sound is wonderful, relaxed for Venus, I enjoy it. Another high frequency test, beautiful music. How do you like the high frequencies? Doesn't it hurt your ears? Perhaps my hearing is too sensitive for high frequencies

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #65 of 419
I completely agree with you on the sound of Hans Zimmer - Live In Prague, the sound is wonderful, relaxed for Venus, I enjoy it. Another high frequency test, beautiful music. How do you like the high frequencies? Doesn't it hurt your ears? Perhaps my hearing is too sensitive for high frequencies

Hi.

I don't like this demo at all.

Already, the (very) compressed sound of YouTube ...

I find this recording very bad; indeed there is too much treble, with a tinny and thin sound; but this, imho, comes from the recording (faithfully reproduced by the headphones) and not from the headphones.

The same score, but with acoustic instruments (for example a Bosendorfer piano or a Steinway (set not too crystal clear in the treble) and a real drum, would sound much better, on high resolution HD media, or even a CD (well recorded).

As for listening to this demo with these four headphones (HD-560S, HD-400 Pro, HD-58X and VENUS,) on my PC and its small sound card, far from optimal. (note: it would be muche better with my tube amp Viva 2A3, but this amp is only connected to a high-end CD player and a high-end Panasonic blu ray player).

That said, my preference (for this demo) is: VENUS > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S.

The worst sound (in this demo) is with the HD 560S: too much treble with a tinny and thin sound from the piano; listening is unpleasant and too focused on the treble, even for my old ears whose hearing is shortened above 10-12 KHz; it's a little better with the HD-400 Pro, for my copy with a little more bass and a liitle softer in the treble than my copy of the HD-560S; it's even better with the HD-58X, with a little less treble, but there is still too much with this recording; it's even better with the VENUS which gives both the best soundstage (the most extensive, the most aerial), with the most pleasant sound (or rather the least unpleasant) of the four headphones, but the sound is still too thin and focused towards the treble, and the distortions linked to YouTube compression are unfortunately very present.

23120508032523553818313833.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #66 of 419
20231204_171730-EDIT.jpg

Got my PARAs last night and listened to them for a few hours. I have to say I was really looking forward to them and they absolutely did not disappoint. I don't have a lot of money to spend on audio so these will probably be my endgame for a long while and I'm perfectly happy with them. EQ a little bass in and they're perfect for me!

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #68 of 419
anyone? thanks
I tried the Brainwavz Perforated XL Earpads but think the non XL version would fit just fine. 100mm ear pads seem to work as long as the back is stretchy. I also tried some old Hifiman ear pads I had from eBay. I must have 10+ pairs of old hifiman pads.

With the Brainwavz: they are 110mm but the diameter on the backing material you slide into the headphone was too narrow so I cut little slits and folded it over. They were too loose for my liking.

With the old Hifiman: I took the plastic ring out and was able to stretch the backing material over the groove of the Venus. Those earpads are 100mm. They sit tightly and securely.

With both: the inner diameter of the Venus pad is large for a reason - it allows for more driver exposure. Both pads I tried had a smaller inner diameter. Bass and treble were less dynamic, stage smaller, overall presentation sounded closer, what you would expect by covering up some of the driver. I didn't like it and went back to the Venus pad.

I'm hoping Moondrop releases some in the future. I would like to hear all suede and a bit thicker with the same diameter opening.

I also tried my some og ATH AD2000 ear pads which are arguably terrible (but so plush) and they were too tight to stretch over.

I emailed Dekoni audio asking if they had any 105mm earpads that would fit the Venus. They said no.

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #70 of 419
By the way, I want to note how Venus sounds on fast dance music. The resolution and scene are also amazing. At 2:18 it became scary, the effect was as if someone had sneaked up and touched me for real. I was alone in the room. The sound is realistic and alive.:smile::smile::smile:

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #71 of 419
Eric, by following your "logic", I think that the Para will surpass all your current headphones...

Why? Because you had the Thror, then purchased the 560-S, the 400 Pro, the 58X and now the Venus... And...:

"That said, my preference (for this demo) is: [PARA] > VENUS > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S." :relieved: :beerchug:

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #72 of 419
Eric, by following your "logic", I think that the Para will surpass all your current headphones...

Why? Because you had the Thror, then purchased the 560-S, the 400 Pro, the 58X and now the Venus... And...:

"That said, my preference (for this demo) is: [PARA] > VENUS > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S." :relieved: :beerchug:

Who knows: anything is possible.

[PARA] > VENUS > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S ?

or [PARA] = VENUS > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S ?

or VENUS > [PARA] > HD58X > HD-400 Pro > HD-560S ?

Response from December 11, if all goes well. :)

Which is certain, for my hearing.

VENUS >> Thror
VENUS > HD58X
HD-58X > Thror
So, VENUS > HD-58X > Thror.

Dec 5, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #73 of 419
I tried the Brainwavz Perforated XL Earpads but think the non XL version would fit just fine. 100mm ear pads seem to work as long as the back is stretchy. I also tried some old Hifiman ear pads I had from eBay. I must have 10+ pairs of old hifiman pads.
-snip--
thanks for the response.

Based on my eye test, the inner diameter of the Venus is larger compared to the usual replacements (dekoni,brainwavz or other circular pads that has the same outer diameter)

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #74 of 419
thanks for the response.

Based on my eye test, the inner diameter of the Venus is larger compared to the usual replacements (dekoni,brainwavz or other circular pads that has the same outer diameter)
Yes my thoughts exactly. The smaller inner diameter pads end up concentrating the sound by covering the edge of the driver. The Venus pads have such a wide inner diameter which help the large 100mm drivers create a sense of space. They have some of the widest inner diameter I've personally seen on circular pads. I don't think it's even worth looking unless something pops up with a raised inner pad like AD2000 but thicker, or at the very least angled like the LCD headphones. It appears the Zero earpads are perforated on the outside as well as the inside so it will be worth swapping those when available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back