Moondrop VENUS Planar. Moondrop PARA Planar. Moondrop COSMO Planar (re-equipped with the PARA Hybrid pads): new flagship.
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #46 of 419
Hello again.

Two pieces of news to share with you.

A good news and a bad news.

The good news is that Audiophonics has received my Moondrop VENUS headphones, and it's being prepared (I've just received an e-mail about it), after a two-week period for headphnones restocking.
EDIT: it has just been sent (last e-mail received just now). :)

The bad news (for my wallet) is that I've just ordered the VENUS' little brother, the PARA (for Paradise), from Moondrop's official website (via AliExpress) for 284 Euros incl. VAT (with a small discount).
For literary types, Marcel Proust has something to do with it. :beyersmile:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/casq...al-o100mm-100db-18-ohm-6hz-80khz-p-17088.html

https://moondrop.aliexpress.com/sto....store_pc_promotion.pcShopHead_40107636.1_2_2

It's a calculated gamble: at worst, it'll please a member of my family.

I could compare it (the PARA), on the same amp, with its big brother, the VENUS.

PS: sorry for the repetition of my posts, but you're all invited to participate in this thread, now open for these two promising Planar headphones from Moondrop, with the brand's current flagship, the VENUS, and its little brother, the PARA (for Paradise)

I'll wait for your impresions and comparisons between both of them :L3000: I wish you prefer the Para :relieved:

BTW, your wallet has never been happier, since you decided to jump backwards to mortal headphones prices... Go countercurrent in respect to most of the rest of the forum members...

Hi Terriero.

I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of PARA. :)

For the VENUS, I am absolutely not disappointed by this headphone; these are as of today my best headphones purchased, and the list is long (Stax SR-007 mk2, Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD-3F, Kennerton ODIN mk1, mk2, mk3 (Thridi ); Thror, Thekk, Magni, Sennheiser HD-800 (stock), HD-600, HD-650, HD-560S, HD-400 Pro and HD-58X); the performance of this high-end planar headphone is breathtaking and its medium is fabulous; the most beautiful and the best midrange ever heard, morever very well integrated with the bass (sufficient) and the treble of great finesse, non-prominent for my old ears (nb: decrease in my hearing above 10-12 KHz).

As for the PARA, whose arrival is imminent, everyone is raving about it, Crinacle in particular (see his video a few posts above).

I invite you to watch another video of the Moondrop PARA planar headphones, easily subtitled and translatable into your native language (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.); You should like it, Terriero.

From this video, it would appear that the PARA also shines in the midrange and sounds beautiful, while at the same time being a softer, less technical headphone (and more affordable) than the VENUS and HD-800 (more technical and brighter in the treble).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #47 of 419
Hi Terriero.

I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of PARA. :)

For the VENUS, I am absolutely not disappointed by this headphone; these are as of today my best headphones purchased, and the list is long (Stax SR-007 mk2, Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD-3F, Kennerton ODIN mk1, mk2, mk3 (Thridi ); Thror, Thekk, Magni, Sennheiser HD-800 (stock), HD-600, HD-650, HD-560S, HD-400 Pro and HD-58X); the performance of this high-end planar headphone is breathtaking and its medium is fabulous; the most beautiful and the best midrange ever heard, morever very well integrated with the bass (sufficient) and the treble of great finesse, non-prominent for my old ears (nb: decrease in my hearing above 10-12 KHz).

As for the PARA, whose arrival is imminent, everyone is raving about it, Crinacle in particular (see his video a few posts above).

I invite you to watch another video of the Moondrop PARA planar headphones, easily subtitled and translatable into your native language (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.); You should like it, Terriero.

From this video, it would appear that the PARA also shines in the midrange and sounds beautiful, while at the same time being a softer, less technical headphone (and more affordable) than the VENUS and HD-800 (more technical and brighter in the treble).

I received these headphones recently and surprised there isn't more discussion besides the initial release hype. They're fantastic! Very neutral with a smooth but intimate and clear mid delivery, grand staging, extended well defined but not sibilant treble, and wonderful prat. They also sound fuller and compared to the likes of newer HFM. After the original HE1K I could never get over how distant mids sounded on HFM. I like how the Venus is taller and wider in stage over my HE500.

Just finished listening to the 45rpm release of Headhunters from Atlantic and Gabriel's new i/o pressing and the bass is not lacking at all as some assumed from the measurement, the bass seems "larger" than the HE500, although shy of that dynamism the older thick magnet HFM had.

I would outrank my old LCD X, 2, 3, and edition X, HE1K and HE1KV2 based on overall neutrality tone and prat. The og HE6 were always a bit shouty and graty to my ears. The HE500 still retain a sense of intimacy and cohesion these lack, but doing slight a/b between the two, HE500 sound smaller, more akin to a dynamic driver likes of Clear or Elex.

I'm wondering what your impressions against the Stax 007 are? I was just looking to purchase the whole system as I've been looking for new cans and have never owned estats. But I was leaning more toward the original MK1 version. However, hearing the Venus I may just be tempted to wait for the release of Zero :)

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #48 of 419
Hello again everyone.

An useful information to share.

The two cables supplied with the Moondrop VENUS (asymmetrical black cable: 2 x 3.5 mm connectors on the headphone side and 3.5 mm unbalanced jack on the amplifier side (+ 3.5/6.35 mm jack adapter); and the silver-colored cable: 2 x 3.5 mm connectors on the headphone side and 4.4 mm balanced connector (for dap) on the amp side) both measure 150 cm.

I preferably use the silver-colored cable, which appears more qualitative and which suits the VENUS better, due to its color, with a DD DJ44C MKII adapter: 4.4mm Symmetrical Female Jack to 3.5mm Asymmetrical Gold-Plated Male Jack Adapter.

Source: https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181280674.html#p181280674

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #49 of 419
I received these headphones recently and surprised there isn't more discussion besides the initial release hype. They're fantastic! Very neutral with a smooth but intimate and clear mid delivery, grand staging, extended well defined but not sibilant treble, and wonderful prat. They also sound fuller and compared to the likes of newer HFM. After the original HE1K I could never get over how distant mids sounded on HFM. I like how the Venus is taller and wider in stage over my HE500.

Just finished listening to the 45rpm release of Headhunters from Atlantic and Gabriel's new i/o pressing and the bass is not lacking at all as some assumed from the measurement, the bass seems "larger" than the HE500, although shy of that dynamism the older thick magnet HFM had.

I would outrank my old LCD X, 2, 3, and edition X, HE1K and HE1KV2 based on overall neutrality tone and prat. The og HE6 were always a bit shouty and graty to my ears. The HE500 still retain a sense of intimacy and cohesion these lack, but doing slight a/b between the two, HE500 sound smaller, more akin to a dynamic driver likes of Clear or Elex.

I'm wondering what your impressions against the Stax 007 are? I was just looking to purchase the whole system as I've been looking for new cans and have never owned estats. But I was leaning more toward the original MK1 version. However, hearing the Venus I may just be tempted to wait for the release of Zero :)
Hi.

Super happy to find another owner of the VENUS, who also seems to like it a lot. :)

I feel less alone in this thread (dedicated to VENUS, but also to its little brother, the PARA).

To answer your questions, I am a former owner of a Stax SR-007 mk2.
The amps used were an SRM 727-II (very disappointing with the 007: muddy bass), and an AudioValve Luminare. So no BHSE.
The 007 mk2 is very difficult to drive for bass; it is very fine, detailed and has this black background that the electrostatics share, but its tonality in the treble is very disappointing: female voices muffled in the upper harmonics; it's really a shame.

As already written, between a Stax 007 mk2 (and even a Stax 009), I choose the VENUS, whose performance is exceptional (and I share your opinion) and has a very correct tone, with, for my hearing, a fabulous medium.

As for Moondrop's next flagship and the (imminent?) release of their electrostatic headphones, the Moondrop electrostatic headphone MoonZero ; well, if it is at least as good as the VENUS (which is a very high-end planar headphone in its construction and for the quality of the sound delivered), well it's all good for the future happy owners of this future headphone e-stat MoonZero.

For my part, I will be largely content with my VENUS, a fairly exceptional planar headphone, and I am impatiently awaiting the delivery of my order for its little brother, the PARA, whose reviews seem to be glowing (headphones to listen to; I will know Soon :)).

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #50 of 419
Hi.

Super happy to find another owner of the VENUS, who also seems to like it a lot. :)

I feel less alone in this thread (dedicated to VENUS, but also to its little brother, the PARA).

The amps used were an SRM 727-II (very disappointing with the 007: muddy bass), and an AudioValve Luminare. So no BHSE.
The 007 mk2 is very difficult to drive for bass; it is very fine, detailed and has this black background that the electrostatics share, but its tonality in the treble is very disappointing: female voices muffled in the upper harmonics; it's really a shame.

As already written, between a Stax 007 mk2 (and even a Stax 009), I choose the VENUS, whose performance is exceptional (and I share your opinion) and has a very correct tone, with, for my hearing, a fabulous medium.

As for Moondrop's next flagship and the (imminent?) release of their electrostatic headphones, the Moondrop electrostatic headphone MoonZero ; well, if it is at least as good as the VENUS (which is a very high-end planar headphone in its construction and for the quality of the sound delivered), well it's all good for the future happy owners of this future headphone e-stat MoonZero.

For my part, I will be largely content with my VENUS, a fairly exceptional planar headphone, and I am impatiently awaiting the delivery of my order for its little brother, the PARA, whose reviews seem to be glowing (headphones to listen to; I will know Soon :)).
If you also like the Para, would you plan to purchase those Moondrop Zero? Will Moondrop launch a energizer for them for a good price?

I have to thanks you a lot for your Venus impressions, although I'm more interested in their little brother :relieved: Don't worry, you'll receive them very soon, before christmas :L3000:

I'm waiting for the HD 580s I purchased from my friend here, Kammerat Rebekka :relaxed: I have been always interested in those classical Sennies (well, in the 600s, but these will sound very similar).

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #51 of 419
Hi.

Looking forward to hearing your options on Para once you receive it

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #52 of 419
If you also like the Para, would you plan to purchase those Moondrop Zero? Will Moondrop launch a energizer for them for a good price?

I have to thanks you a lot for your Venus impressions, although I'm more interested in their little brother :relieved: Don't worry, you'll receive them very soon, before christmas :L3000:

I'm waiting for the HD 580s I purchased from my friend here, Kammerat Rebekka :relaxed: I have been always interested in those classical Sennies (well, in the 600s, but these will sound very similar).

Hi Terrierro.

I'm expecting to receive (very soon) a very good headphone, the PARA, probably not as technical as the VENUS, but also with a very nice tone; not to mention that it's also a very handsome headphone.

To answer your question, I don't think I'll buy Moondrop's future flagship, their MoonZero electrostatic headphones.

To begin with, I don't have an e-stat headphone amp, even if you can still find one for not too much money (on Audiophonics https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/ampl...ectrostatique-symetrique-700vrms-p-17617.html).

I have no doubt that this future e-stat headphones from Moondrop will be very good. I'm sure the MoonZero will rival the Stax SR-009 and 007 headphones in tone alone, with a much better tone (timbre).
(Note, the VENUS, which is only a very high level planar headphone, not an e-stat, is also wonderfully detailed, and with a very good tone (timbre) too (which is not the case for these two Stax e-stats regarding tones); so it already competes with them).

As already said, I will be satisfied with these two planar headphones from Moondrop (the VENUS and the PARA), and of course with all my Sennheiser headphones (HD-560S, HD-400 Pro and HD-58X) ; these Sennheiser headphones don't fall short at all, and remain excellent electrodynamic headphones, among the best, starting with the quality of timbre provided by the midrange. I'm still very sensitive to the fidelity of vocal timbre, more than anything else.

Good evening, on your volcano... :)

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #53 of 419
Still to evaluate the VENUS in the bass and sub-bass and also its dynamics, at a listening level at a fairly high SPL volume, I have just listened to one of my favorite pieces from this Live in Prague, with music from the film "The Thin Red Line"; a film score that I personally find magnificent and moving, and which crescendoes to end in apotheosis.
"The thin red line" is my favourite film of all times :relieved: And I also love it's OST :L3000: (I own the original album and another one focused on Melanesian choirs :relaxed:).

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #54 of 419
"The thin red line" is my favourite film of all times :relieved: And I also love it's OST :L3000: (I own the original album and another one focused on Melanesian choirs :relaxed:).

Great.

For your viewing pleasure ; on my main Hi-Fi system, with the blu-ray of the concert (Live in Prague de Hans Zimmer), with the VENUS (for lack of still having the PARA), it's enormous, heart touching and very moving.

For the quality of the video image of this live concert, only; unfortunately not for the sound quality below.

For sound quality, it is significantly better below (and even better on the blu-ray video of this live concert, PCM track).

and for the Melanesian choirs :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #55 of 419

Indeed: Moondrop PARA planar headphone order via AliExpress on the MOONDROP Official Store (taking advantage of a Black Friday price reduction) made on November 29.
Order sent from China (current status "shipped"); expected receipt of the PARA headphones in France (estimate) on December 11, well before Christmas. :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #56 of 419
Indeed: Moondrop PARA planar headphone order via AliExpress on the MOONDROP Official Store (taking advantage of a Black Friday price reduction) made on November 29.
Order sent from China (current status "shipped"); expected receipt of the PARA headphones in France (estimate) on December 11, well before Christmas. :)
Hi, i've been watching your takes on the moondrop venus, looking forward your impressions on the para!
Do you think Venus can be driven on a dongle, say the questyle m15 or maybe cayin ru7?

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #57 of 419
Hi, i've been watching your takes on the moondrop venus, looking forward your impressions on the para!
Do you think Venus can be driven on a dongle, say the questyle m15 or maybe cayin ru7?

Hi.

No idea.

I give you the real sensitivity of the Moondrop VENUS as measured by the RAA measurement site (in dB / 1 V RMS : 106.2 dB/V), as well as its effectiveness (in dB / 1m W : 88.7 dB/mw).

In balanced mode (4.4 mm) you will have more output level in V SPL of the amp, knowing that each doubling of output voltage results in 6 dB SPL more level.

Otherwise, doubling the amp's output power (in mW) results in 3 dB more SPL level; 10x more power translates to 10 dB more SPL.

Sensitivity average in band from 100 Hz - 10 kHz106.2dB/V SPL
88.7dB/mW SPL

Impedance average in band from 40 Hz - 15 kHz17.7ohm
For 90 dB SPL, a voltage is required-16.2dBV
0.155VRMS
Taking into account the peak factor of 9 dB for the music signal-7.2dBV
0.436VRMS

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #58 of 419
You are not alone with Venus. :relaxed: I've owned it for 7 months. Before this I had headphones Sennheiser HD 558. Shure SRH940, 1540, 1840. Hifiman edition xs. Venus clearly surpasses everyone in sound, the sound is super detailed, a very large sound stage. But sometimes it sounds bright and a little tiring if the music is recorded like that. For example, from 0:35 minutes, I want to make it quieter, I can’t enjoy this beautiful music. :slight_frown:

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #59 of 419
:beyersmile:

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #60 of 419
You are not alone with Venus. :relaxed: I've owned it for 7 months. Before this I had headphones Sennheiser HD 558. Shure SRH940, 1540, 1840. Hifiman edition xs. Venus clearly surpasses everyone in sound, the sound is super detailed, a very large sound stage. But sometimes it sounds bright and a little tiring if the music is recorded like that. For example, from 0:35 minutes, I want to make it quieter, I can’t enjoy this beautiful music. :slight_frown:

Hi.
Perhaps with the little brother of the VENUS, the PARA, apparently less brilliant in the treble and extreme highs than the VENUS, but also less resolute; headphones perhaps easier to listen to on bright treble recordings?

Para.jpg

Venus.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back