Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Nov 25, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #31 of 400
Eric, if you like the Venus... Do you consider to also purchase the Para?

Looks interesting...

Just 232 € in Shenzhen audio for black friday...

Hi (again) Terriero.

Thanks for the video. :)

The Moondrop PARA's value for money is phenomenal (especially with the current Black Friday promotion).

If I hadn't already ordered the VENUS, the PARA would have interested me too.

However, at least on the FR curve given by Crinacle (the author of this video), compared to that of the VENUS, I think I prefer the tone of the VENUS which avoids the level hump at 3 KHz (which the Sennheiser HD-600 also has) and which I personally fear, as does the level hump at 1. 5 and 3 KHz of the Stax SR-009, which distorts the timbre of female voices, sometimes rougher see shouty; I prefer more softness, with a slight attenuation of the FR of the VENUS at these two frequencies (1.5 and 3 KHz), quite critical for timbre fidelity (of voices in particular).

23112504021223553818308662.png

Finally, but it's not a certainty, I think that the VENUS is technically (and for my ear, which is sensitive to the PARA's 3 KHz level bump) tonally superior to the PARA.
Technically, by the simple fact that the thickness of the VENUS planar membrane is given (2 micrometers, i.e. a thickness similar to that of a TOTL e-stat headphone, the SR-009), while that of the PARA (new membrane) is not specified (thicker?).

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #32 of 400
And as already stated on the first page, if you want to boost the bass of the VENUS by + 3 dB (between 30 and 80 Hz) (for the PARA I don't know), nothing could be easier: wear thin-armed glasses... :)

For glasses wearers (uncompensated FR curve of the Moondrop VENUS planar headphones).
venus-good-seal-black-vs.-broken-seal-red.png

note: this graph demonstrates how a small leakage (simulated using thin-armed glasses) can result in FR change.

moondrop-venus-frequency-response.png

note: Moondrop VENUS Planar FR (good seal) with the target curve (dotted black line).

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-still-reasonable-price.970569/#post-17824148

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #33 of 400
Eric, if you like the Venus... Do you consider to also purchase the Para?

Looks interesting...

Just 232 € in Shenzhen audio for black friday...

Re Terriero.

I've just watched Crinacle's entire video on the Moondrop PARA, which he also compares to its big brother, the brand's current flagship, the TOTL Moondrop VENUS planar headphones (pending the release of the electrostatic headphone of the brand).

Crinacle confirms the excellent value for money of the Moondrop brand, and in particular of the latest planar headphone to be released, the PARA; he also confirms the technical superiority of the VENUS, more resolute and precise, compared to the PARA (2 times less expensive than the VENUS, it must be said); but when it comes to tonality, with his Crinacle ear sensitivity, he prefers the PARA's tone, a little less brilliant in the upper treble, but with more presence in the upper-mid at 3 KHz.

He compares the PARA to its tonal reference, the Sennheiser HD-600, just as I did at the end of page 1 of this thread (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/moo...-still-reasonable-price.970569/#post-17829233); the PARA's tonality is similar to that of the HD 600, with the same level bump at 3 KHz (which may or may not please), but with considerably more bass, and also a little more uper treble, than the HD-600.

By analogy, and as the FR curves show, the VENUS is more like a Sennheiser HD-800S, tonally and technically speaking, but with considerably more bass and a little less treble at 6 KHz, while the PARA, as already mentioned, is more like an HD-600, tonally (and technically?) speaking, with also more bass and a little more treble than the HD-600.

A fine analogy, for those who are familiar with the HD-600 and HD-800S. :)

HD600-S3.jpg

Para.jpg

Venus.jpg

HD800S-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #34 of 400
Hello everyone.

You all know the graphic representation of the VENUS, by Moondrop (more contemporary than Botticelli's Venus).

packaging-1.jpg

The graphic representation of the Moondrop PARA is equally interesting, and inevitably reminds me of a famous French writer, Marcel Proust, in his book called (in French) "À l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs" (and in English: "In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower). Prix Goncourt in 1919.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28385.In_the_Shadow_of_Young_Girls_in_Flower

23112705425223553818309876.jpg

EDIT: For graphic arts lovers, by Moondrop

MOONDROP Drawing Art

https://moondroplab.com/en/drawing

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #35 of 400
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #36 of 400
Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #37 of 400
Hello again.

Two pieces of news to share with you.

A good news and a bad news.

The good news is that Audiophonics has received my Moondrop VENUS headphones, and it's being prepared (I've just received an e-mail about it), after a two-week period for headphnones restocking.
EDIT: it has just been sent (last e-mail received just now). :)

The bad news (for my wallet) is that I've just ordered the VENUS' little brother, the PARA (for Paradise), from Moondrop's official website (via AliExpress) for 284 Euros incl. VAT (with a small discount).
For literary types, Marcel Proust has something to do with it. :beyersmile:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/casq...al-o100mm-100db-18-ohm-6hz-80khz-p-17088.html

https://moondrop.aliexpress.com/sto....store_pc_promotion.pcShopHead_40107636.1_2_2

It's a calculated gamble: at worst, it'll please a member of my family.

I could compare it (the PARA), on the same amp, with its big brother, the VENUS.

PS: sorry for the repetition of my posts, but you're all invited to participate in this thread, now open for these two promising Planar headphones from Moondrop, with the brand's current flagship, the VENUS, and its little brother, the PARA (for Paradise). :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #38 of 400
I'll wait for your impresions and comparisons between both of them :L3000: I wish you prefer the Para :relieved:

BTW, your wallet has never been happier, since you decided to jump backwards to mortal headphones prices... Go countercurrent in respect to most of the rest of the forum members...

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #39 of 400
I heard them from a sound demo here:
And I think it sounds really good.
But sound demos aren't really a good indicator because in real life it will always sound different (especially if you are using your own, different equipment).
So can someone here who owns them say how accurate or not accurate the sound demo is?

Edit: Refreshing how everyone is ignoring my question. :)

Hi, I will do it soon.

I normally receive the VENUS Friday December 1st (and the PARA on December 11th).

While waiting to receive these two planar headphones, I had fun listening to your demo on my PC with these 3 headphones (of fairly similar sensitivity)
The Kennerton Thror SN THR 001 (the 1st in the series)
The Sennheiser HD-400 Pro (the alter ego of an HD-560S, perhaps with ee little more bass for my copy of the HD-400 Pro than the HD-560S)
The Sennheiser HD-58X "Jubilee"

23112910275323553818311375.jpg

In this demo, my headphones preference is as follows:

HD-58X > HD-400 Pro > Thror.

The most beautiful, most natural, most sensual voice is that delivered by the HD-58X.

The HD-400 Pro (aka HD-560S) gives a slightly clearer voice and with a little more focus on the high harmonics, you can hear the sibilants more; high percussion (cymbals) are more present than with the HD-58X. The accompanying bass is clearly present with these two Sennheiser headphones.

The Thror is much more mid-centric and has an emphasis on the singer's voice (between 600 and 1000 Hz), which I find less pleasant to hear than with the other two headphones Sennheiser ; voice is clearly less natural; the voice is quite thin, as if distorted by this accent, as if passing through a cardboard cone. The bass is less present than with the two Sennheiser headphones. The treble is less present than with the HD-400 Pro.

The resolutions of these three headphones, as far as one can judge from such a demo, on a PC, are similar.

The finesse in the treble is greater with the HD-58X and the Thror than with the HD-400 Pro (aka HD-560S), the less fine of these three headphones, but the HD-400 Pro is also the most dynamic of the three headphones, with the widest soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #40 of 400
I'll wait for your impresions and comparisons between both of them :L3000: I wish you prefer the Para :relieved:

BTW, your wallet has never been happier, since you decided to jump backwards to mortal headphones prices... Go countercurrent in respect to most of the rest of the forum members...

Hi Terriero.

For sure, I just paid 599 Euros for the VENUS, a sort of super HD-800S or possibly a mini Susvara, and this afternoon (in France) 284 Euros, for the PARA (short for paradise), a sort of super HD-600 or super SUNDARA.

My heart rejoices in these purchases, as does my wallet. :)

It's significantly cheaper than the 3000 Euros paid for my Thror (in photo in the post above).

So, Moondrop PARA or VENUS, compared to all my other headphones; what will be my preference?

The future will tell us soon.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #42 of 400
This morning (in France), before Christmas, I received the Moondrop VENUS planar headphone.

Below is a photo gallery of the unboxing of this headphone.

As you can see, the care taken with the packaging seems to me very meticulous, a little "sexier" or let's say less austere than the boxes on Sennheiser headphones.

Unpacking is done in layers, like a nesting doll; each layer reveals something new.

Transporting the headphone must have been hectic, as you can see that the right-hand frame of the headphone (seen from the front) has become detached from the headband: nothing serious though, the headphone is well designed: all you have to do is re-attach the frame to the headband, like a simple clip.

Otherwise, I'm blown away by the VENUS's build quality, all metal and leather, and above all by its aesthetics, with an airy grace that's both simple and "elvish".

In comparison, the Kennerton Thror, also with its "industrial" aesthetic, seems to me more clumsy and clunky, even coarse; not to mention dusty, but that's not its fault.

As for the materials used: leather and metal for the VENUS; leather, metal, wood and plastic (composite outer grille) for the Thror.

Personally, having loved the Thror's industrial aesthetic, I find the VENUS far more pleasing to the eye, more graceful and airy. I'm not talking about the sound.

I'm also impressed by the size of the VENUS ear-cups, with their 100 mm diameter drivers; they're gigantic, without being unsightly; in comparison, the Thror's wooden ear-cups seem puny (despite their 80 mm drivers).

Otherwise, I was reassured by the comfort of wearing the VENUS and its auto-adaptive headband; it's rather well designed (no breakage to be deplored for the time being); wearing comfort is very correct, and I'd even say good, without exaggerated clamping, even for my large head; comfort superior to that of the Thror, admittedly a little lighter than the VENUS, but with a narrower, non-auto-adaptive headband, and with firmer earpads.

That's all for now.

Comparative listening to VENUS headphones this weekend. :)

23120104534423553818312016.jpg

23120104534423553818312015.jpg

23120104534523553818312017.jpg

23120104534623553818312018.jpg

23120104534623553818312019.jpg

23120104534723553818312021.jpg

23120104534723553818312020.jpg

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #44 of 400
I heard them from a sound demo here:
And I think it sounds really good.
But sound demos aren't really a good indicator because in real life it will always sound different (especially if you are using your own, different equipment).
So can someone here who owns them say how accurate or not accurate the sound demo is?

Edit: Refreshing how everyone is ignoring my question. :)

Hi, I will do it soon.

I normally receive the VENUS Friday December 1st (and the PARA on December 11th).

While waiting to receive these two planar headphones, I had fun listening to your demo on my PC with these 3 headphones (of fairly similar sensitivity)
The Kennerton Thror SN THR 001 (the 1st in the series)
The Sennheiser HD-400 Pro (the alter ego of an HD-560S, perhaps with ee little more bass for my copy of the HD-400 Pro than the HD-560S)
The Sennheiser HD-58X "Jubilee"

23112910275323553818311375.jpg

In this demo, my headphones preference is as follows:

HD-58X > HD-400 Pro > Thror.

The most beautiful, most natural, most sensual voice is that delivered by the HD-58X.

The HD-400 Pro (aka HD-560S) gives a slightly clearer voice and with a little more focus on the high harmonics, you can hear the sibilants more; high percussion (cymbals) are more present than with the HD-58X. The accompanying bass is clearly present with these two Sennheiser headphones.

The Thror is much more mid-centric and has an emphasis on the singer's voice (between 600 and 1000 Hz), which I find less pleasant to hear than with the other two headphones Sennheiser ; voice is clearly less natural; the voice is quite thin, as if distorted by this accent, as if passing through a cardboard cone. The bass is less present than with the two Sennheiser headphones. The treble is less present than with the HD-400 Pro.

The resolutions of these three headphones, as far as one can judge from such a demo, on a PC, are similar.

The finesse in the treble is greater with the HD-58X and the Thror than with the HD-400 Pro (aka HD-560S), the less fine of these three headphones, but the HD-400 Pro is also the most dynamic of the three headphones, with the widest soundstage.

Hi @Ginryuu

Rather than using your demo (in compressed YouTube quality) on my PC's sound card, which is far from being powerful amplification, especially with the VENUS (a headphone requiring power), I preferred to listen to my own demos on audio CDs, with my main Hi-Fi system (in attached photo).

23120109185223553818312253.jpg

You will notice the clockwise position of the volume potentiometer of the Viva 2A3 amp: "9 o'clock" position, for listening to this CD at a comfortable SPL listening level.

This audio system (high-end CD drive and high-end dac Audiomat + high-end Viva 2A3 tube amp (2 x 3 W)) is more efficient than my PC and allows me to compare all my headphones in the best possible conditions.

I am translating here, from French into English, part of my 2 posts written last night on the French HCFR forum (original text of these 2 posts in the attached link):
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181279368.html#p181279368
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181279482.html#p181279482

Well, not having (anymore) an e-stat amp, I find this VENUS planar damn good; just listened to it alone, at the beginning of the evening, for pleasure, currently listening to the CD Flamingo by Stéphane Grappelli and Michel Petrucciani (Jazz).

A recording that is not forgiving in the treble, because the violin can quickly become squeaky (I remember my ex Triangle speakers, with this CD...).

Undoubtedly, when listening to this CD, on the VENUS, we have a sound of great finesse, with elegance; I find the treble (of the violin and percussion) very fine, and for (my old) ear, not intrusive; they remind me of the fine treble of my old Stax headphones (007 and 009).
The bass is quite light (but there isn't much of it in this recording), but sufficiently present, going very low; They are extremely agile.

Otherwise, you will see the retained cable (with its adapter) for the VENUS (white cable in litz wire); I don't know if it is better than the other cable (the black one) also delivered with the VENUS, but it is the most beautiful (it matches the headset perfectly); On the other hand, I had to move my sofa at least 50 cm closer to the amplifier (and the TV) to be able to use this fairly short cable (1 m 20 or 1 m 30?), without extension, in a slumped position in my favorite sofa.

Ultimately, I regret purchasing the luxury extension cable (1.5 m) (silver-plated OCC "cryo" copper), because, believe me or not, it gives me the impression of "degreasing" the bass. , a little too much for my taste; the sound is more consistent without this extension.

The headphone that i own that is closest to the VENUS (not for aesthetics, nor its price), but for "its class" is the Kennerton Thror, the former top of the range open planar headphone from Kennerton, with its high-end planar driver of 80 mm diameter, carbon fiber driver frame to reduce the weight of the headphone, 10 microns thick membrane (twice as thin as that of a Kennerton planar Heartland (open) or a Rognir (closed)).

So I compared the VENUS to the Thror, but also a bit to the Sennheiser HD-58X (an open dynamic headphone: 42 mm driver).

For the record, the size of the VENUS planar driver is gigantic (100 mm in diameter); the membrane is 2 microns thick, of the same order as that of the Stax SR-009 high-end e-stat headphones, and the VENUS has, for each driver 2 x 9 profiled Neodymium magnets, just like the Susvara, by the way.

23120104534623553818312019.jpg

So, Kennerton Thror or Moondrop VENUS? (without taking into account the price difference between these two planar headphones).

As for aesthetics, everyone will judge.

For comfort, as already written on the previous page, I confirm the better wearing comfort of the VENUS versus Thror, despite its weight (on the scale) greater than the Thror.
Indeed, on the head, the weight of the VENUS is much better distributed on the top of the skull and is forgotten (no hot spots), while the Thror, with its narrower and harder suspension headband (less padded) remembers much more to your scalp. In addition, the VENUS pads are softer than those of the Thror, themselves also less firm than those of the first Odin, real bricks.

As for sound, I just listened to a lot of voices this evening (female and male); well, the VENUS midrange is fabulous, extremely precise in its presentation (vocals well focused in the center, not diffuse, with the accompaniment instruments well detached, lateralized on the edges); voices as well detailed and nuanced, and with a fluidity (a detachment on a dark background, as was sometimes said of electrostatic headphones), which I actually only find with my old electrostatic headphones (007 and 009)...
... with the difference that the tone of the VENUS is much fairer (and pleasant to hear) than for example my ex Stax SR-009 headphones (with this distortion of the high-midrange at 1.5 KHz of the 009, making the 009 aggressive female voices); as for 007, well the muffling in the upper midrange and treble also spoiled the voices tonally, even if they were very fine and fluid.

It's simple, the VENUS is for me the best headphones I've heard (with perhaps also the Susvara) for vocal reproduction; the HD-58X isn't bad either, tonally speaking, but well a step below the VENUS in terms of precision, resolution, focus, nuances, and fluidity. It is significantly less fine and precise than the VENUS.

As for the Thror, to come back to it, well, with the voice of Bernard Lavilliers ("Les mains d'or"), it sounds clearly flatter (in the bad sense of the word) than the VENUS: it is centered on the medium, cut from its extensions downwards (lack of bass) and upwards, in the treble (for the upper harmonics of the voices which are shortened, hence this "flat" sound); in addition, its tone is wobbly with distortion of the voice, as if it had passed through a cardboard cone making the voices less natural than with the VENUS (and the HD 58X). The focus of the voice is also less good (more diffuse) with the Thror versus VENUS; the details and sound nuances are less and the fluidity (dark background) is also less than with the VENUS.

You will have understood, to choose between a Thror and a VENUS, even if we ignore the aesthetics of the two headphones (and their prices), well, I choose the VENUS (and also the HD-58X).
Between a VENUS and a Stax SR-009 (not equalized) or a 007 (also not equalized), even if very well amplified, I also choose the VENUS.

Between a VENUS and a Susvara, if I am offered a Viva 845, well, from hearsay and experience (I have already listened to the Susvara in very good conditions, great headphones), I will keep both ( the VENUS + Viva 2A3 and the Susvara + Viva 845).

One last remark for tonight.

I understand that several reviewers had the impression that the bass of the VENUS could be perceived as quite light, as possibly lacking in weight and growl; it apparently is, and this also ties in with the perception, sometimes, of a lack of bass with the Stax SR-009.
I think the bass level (as measured) of the VENUS (and the 009) is there (on paper), and goes down very low, with a good SPL level; but by a curious artifice, starting with the absence of physical transmission of vibrations to the body, and also by a lesser harmonic coloring of these "very pure" basses, they are perceived as of a lower level than with others headphones (although measured at the same SPL level in the bass), perhaps more colorful in terms of harmonic distortions in the low frequencies.

More than equalization, the addition of a subwoofer (very well tuned) would be the only viable solution to give a visceral bass, with these headphones, so that they are perceived with more weight and growl , as with large speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #45 of 400
Hello everyone.

What does the VENUS give on the film scores of Hans Zimmer (of whom I am a fan), and in particular the famous "Live in Prague"?

We may like Hans Zimmer's film scores or not, but they have the merit of being able to evaluate the bass and sub-bass rendering of the VENUS, when viewing the live concert on blu-ray, uncompressed sound (PCM track) with my headphone system as described previously.

For the occasion I wore glasses with moderately thick temples to watch the concert on my large Panasonic screen, the VENUS headphones on my ears.

Evaluation of the bass rendering (in SPL level), compared to the medium and treble, but not only that ; also evaluation of their resolution and "speed".

I am translating here, from French into English, the post written this afternoon on this subject on the French HCFR forum (original text of this post in the attached link):
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181279870.html#p181279870

So I viewed Hans Zimmer's Live in Prague concert, with my glasses with fairly thick arms (which I usually reserve for cinema and driving).

When the recording presents bass, and there is quite a bit of it on the music of Zimmer's films, we also find it, well present, with the VENUS, including in the sub-bass ; like, for example, here at time 2'57" of this excerpt from the live concert.

For remenber, with the Thror (for this concert live), I felt a lack of bass and sub-bass which forced me to increase the sound level, which then quickly became unpleasant to hear in the midrange, too much emphasis.

With the VENUS, none of that, we can listen at a fairly strong and convincing SPL level, for bass and sub-bass, to this live concert, without unpleasant accent in the midrange, nor highlight in the treble; it is rather quite well balanced in these three registers (bass - medium - treble).

Still to evaluate the VENUS in the bass and sub-bass and also its dynamics, at a listening level at a fairly high SPL volume, I have just listened to one of my favorite pieces from this Live in Prague, with music from the film "The Thin Red Line"; a film score that I personally find magnificent and moving, and which crescendoes to end in apotheosis.

Well, still wearing the same glasses to see this live, with the VENUS on the ears: the bass and sub-bass are still well represented by the VENUS, in a balanced (harmonious) manner in relation to the medium and treble, but also with a real impact of the bass drum when listening to this music at a good sound level.
These VENUS headphones are far from being soft (sluggish) when properly amplified.

Finally, and I end here concerning listening to the VENUS to evaluate its bass and dynamics with the film scores of Hans Zimmer and his famous Live in Prague concert; that said, a real nightmare for a sound recordist and the sound engineers (probably numerous) who participated in the recording of this live. Already see the number of musicians and microphones connected.

As for the sound resolution and the "speed" of percussion reproduction that we can expect from such a live performance, see what that can give, already with a single drum kit and the orchestra; but with three drums going wild together and an orchestra, we can only expect a priori a mush of sound (note: this is probably the case for the spectators present at the live in question); but for your servant listening this afternoon to the uncompressed recording of the live, in blu-ray format (PCM track) audio, well I guarantee you, that with the VENUS, that the trio of drums of this live, at 4 minutes of this extract from the recorded concert, has nothing at all to do with a sound mush: it's lively, dynamic and also super-resolute; bluffing.

And compared to my other headphones?

The Kennerton Thror, in addition to its lack of extension in the bass and sub bass (and also in the treble for the high harmonics of percussion such as cymbals) with also a very mid-centric sound, is surpassed by the VENUS, also for its lower resolution, as well as its more blurred sound stage.

The Sennheiser headphones that I own (HD-58X, HD 560S and 400 Pro) go down very well in the bass (just like the VENUS), but have less good resolution and sound definition (the sound is comparatively more rougher, less resolved); they are also less swift than the Venus which surpasses them in agility, finesse and speed for drums and high percussions (cymbals).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back