Moondrop VENUS Planar (and PARA): two surprisingly good orthodynamic headphones at a still reasonable price. Moondrop COSMO Planar: New Flagship.
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #136 of 407
Hello everyone.

Below you will find a good recent YouTube video of the Moondrop PARA planar headphone, with a description of the PARA which seems quite good to me, both for its presentation and for its sound quality (technicality and tonality).
The Moondrop PARA headphone was compared in this video to an open electrodynamic headphone, the AKG K702, and also to a planar headphone, the VERUM One.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #137 of 407
I haven't had much time for sit down listening sessions lately so I've been pairing the Venus with my Dragonfly Cobalt from my pixel phone and directly out of my little Sony A306 walkman and would say it is 95% of what the Pro iCan, Timekeeper 3i or my larger class A 9Wx2 amp deliver! It pairs very nicely with less powerful sources and doesn't seem super hard to drive. There is plenty of headroom with the Dragonfly for example. I'm happy the short supple SE cable was included. I'm assuming the Para would fare even better out of less powerful sources.

The easiest way for me to check if the seal is broken is to listen for the bass explosion :) My head is average if not on the smaller size and the cups on my Venus are so tight they will actually stay in place if I rotate them for a little space where the temples are. That's with the pad seams facing forward. If I don't want the bass boost I turn the pad seams facing upward which gives my head a far better seal and comfort.

My only real "gripe" with the Venus would be the fit. I prefer the nesting feeling of smaller cups on headphones like the Focals. As has been mentioned these feel slippery and walking around with them on will sometime feel like a balancing act. But the Venus still doesn't feel nearly as heavy as the older Audeze cans did. And I have never been a big fan of this type of "halo" headband design with the metal band hovering over the one sitting on your head. Just looks a bit silly to me and seems to be geared toward larger heads. I think Venus fit would be perfect for someone with a larger head. But the fit issues are a small price to pay for the quality of sound and build!

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #138 of 407

My only real "gripe" with the Venus would be the fit. I prefer the nesting feeling of smaller cups on headphones like the Focals. As has been mentioned these feel slippery and walking around with them on will sometime feel like a balancing act. But the Venus still doesn't feel nearly as heavy as the older Audeze cans did. And I have never been a big fan of this type of "halo" headband design with the metal band hovering over the one sitting on your head. Just looks a bit silly to me and seems to be geared toward larger heads. I think Venus fit would be perfect for someone with a larger head. But the fit issues are a small price to pay for the quality of sound and build!

What do you want ; We can not have everything. :beyersmile:

Either an elegant headphones to wear in the streets of Paris, or London or New York.

5d66d8d710b05faaddab72bdde2ba1f6.png

Or headphones with a less elegant design, which you will not use in the metro of these big cities, but which you will listen to at home, snug in your favorite listening chair.

11582119.jpeg

Headphone-Zone-Stax-SR-009s-Drop-BAnner-03.jpg

Moondrop-Venus-Review.jpg

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #139 of 407
Or headphones with a less elegant design, which you will not use in the metro of these big cities, but which you will listen to at home, snug in your favorite listening chair.

Moondrop-Venus-Review.jpg
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need"

Don't get me wrong, I think aesthetically the Venus is one of the most elegant headphones I have ever laid eyes on. It reminds me of the cover of an old Fritz Lang film "Metropolis" or an old Streamliner train from the 1930's. It has that metallic turn of the century "the future is here" look which I rather like, before plastics were widely used. The headband looks beautiful as well except when it's on top of my head lol.

This goodie arrived today: PXL_20231218_235044561.jpg
I'm going to listen to as much as I can on my speakers to get the full experience, then switch to the Venus when it gets too late (the details experience). There are 4 records! It's a long recording. Tonight is my night to enjoy the music.

Dec 18, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #140 of 407
"You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you'll find
You get what you need"

Don't get me wrong, I think aesthetically the Venus is one of the most elegant headphones I have ever laid eyes on. It reminds me of the cover of an old Fritz Lang film "Metropolis" or an old Streamliner train from the 1930's. It has that metallic turn of the century "the future is here" look which I rather like, before plastics were widely used. The headband looks beautiful as well except when it's on top of my head lol.

This goodie arrived today: PXL_20231218_235044561.jpg
I'm going to listen to as much as I can on my speakers to get the full experience, then switch to the Venus when it gets too late (the details experience). There are 4 records! It's a long recording. Tonight is my night to enjoy the music.

I share your opinion; I also find the VENUS very elegant in its 100% alluminium metal livery; the silver-white cable also suits it very well.

Sivukuva.jpg

I can't see the headphone on my head, but when it's placed in front of me, I think it's a beautiful headphone, as well as being very good and perform to listen to.

Rakenne.jpg

Otherwise, I'm happy for you that the no less than 4 LPs of Hans Zimer's live concert in Prague have arrived at your home.

You're right to listen to this live concert first with loudspeakers; that's what I also did initially at a musician friend's home on Pierre Etienne Leon Maestral loudspeakers powered by an Audiomat Récital mk4 amplifier (a 2 x 80 W class A tube amp) ; the sound of the concert was fantastic.

You won't be disappointed listening to headphones with the VENUS; on my VIVA 2A3 tube amplifier, which undoubtedly improves the soundstage over smaller amplifiers, the concert was masterful.

A great evening of music in store for you this evening, with this live in Prague rock concert by Zimmer, which I personally find brilliant. :)

Dec 19, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #141 of 407
I share your opinion; I also find the VENUS very elegant in its 100% alluminium metal livery; the silver-white cable also suits it very well.

Sivukuva.jpg

I can't see the headphone on my head, but when it's placed in front of me, I think it's a beautiful headphone, as well as being very good and perform to listen to.
You should purchase a mirror to enjoy the Venus while you are wearing them :relieved:

Have you bought the Nightwish live concert I recommended to you "End of an era" the last with the great Tarja Turunen? Maybe I will also buy one of your recs, for example "Hans Zimmer - Live in Prague" in bluray. Do you have other bluray recommendations? We seem to share some music appetences...

Dec 19, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #142 of 407
Hi Terriero.

Seeing myself in a mirror is of little interest; my big 65-inch Panasonic screen is much more captivating to look at. :beyersmile:

Otherwise, no, I didn't buy the "End of an era" live concert from the era of the great lyrical singer, Tarja Turunen.

But I do have all the Nightwish live concerts on Blu-ray with Floor Jansen, and I was recently given the Nightwish double CD HUMAN :II: NATURE for my birthday, which I haven't yet had time to listen to.

I have no other recommendation to do than Hans Zimmer's Concert Live In Prague; for me, an absolute must. :)

I was watching it again tonight with the VENUS; I don't get tired of it at all.

Note: the Madagascar intro is very nice to listen to: two instruments at the entrance: just a bass guitar and a high-pitched percussion (a cymbal): the VENUS is royal, just with these two instruments; you won't be disappointed with everything else; both the chorus and the orchestra too; the soundstage is very impressive too.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #143 of 407
Hello everyone, I am very happy to share with you my headband changes on VENUS.
When I first saw the parameters of VENUS, I guessed that this headset might have strong potential. Since the price was not too expensive, I bought this headset immediately. I found that this headphone is difficult to drive. My main headphone is HIFIMAN SUSVARA. My driving method is to use a power amplifier to drive, so I used this method on VENUS. I found that this headphone does have Power that exceeds the price.
However, wearing this headphone often bothers me because of the weight and clamping force of the headphone. Fortunately, the headband is detachable, so I removed it and found that the original headband was connected by an elastic band, and It was too short, so I replaced it with a longer one, which wasn't difficult.
I found that after I changed to a longer one, it was difficult to put it back on the original leather, BTW, even if I put it back on, it would sway from side to side because it had become longer. So I bought a protective case like the one in the picture and I think it fits the shape of my head perfectly.
Recently, I bought my second pair of VENUS and changed the cases to different colors, and I love them. I'm sharing my experience with you, hoping it will be helpful to you.
05390bfc2a6a76c66eef72b6b40c6412bc5296c7 (1).jpg
5725E313EC53201BBD6EC7A8B0F962F3.jpg
77A266735DA407A27C949D82BDAF599C.jpg
490FC638840D759ECA8AEE1F6AFA15BB.jpg
635DD2A8962F3A85B744C428C2517D94.jpg

Attachments

• 2C51E3EBA0ABB8A07E93C6B7C386E448.jpg
    2C51E3EBA0ABB8A07E93C6B7C386E448.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 20, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #144 of 407
When I first saw the parameters of VENUS, I guessed that this headset might have strong potential. Since the price was not too expensive, I bought this headset immediately. I found that this headphone is difficult to drive. My main headphone is HIFIMAN SUSVARA. My driving method is to use a power amplifier to drive, so I used this method on VENUS. I found that this headphone does have Power that exceeds the price.
However, wearing this headphone often bothers me because of the weight and clamping force of the headphone. Fortunately, the headband is detachable, so I removed it and found that the original headband was connected by an elastic band, and It was too short, so I replaced it with a longer one, which wasn't difficult.
I found that after I changed to a longer one, it was difficult to put it back on the original leather, BTW, even if I put it back on, it would sway from side to side because it had become longer. So I bought a protective case like the one in the picture and I think it fits the shape of my head perfectly.
Recently, I bought my second pair of VENUS and changed the cases to different colors, and I love them. I'm sharing my experience with you, hoping it will be helpful to you.
05390bfc2a6a76c66eef72b6b40c6412bc5296c7 (1).jpg5725E313EC53201BBD6EC7A8B0F962F3.jpg77A266735DA407A27C949D82BDAF599C.jpg490FC638840D759ECA8AEE1F6AFA15BB.jpg635DD2A8962F3A85B744C428C2517D94.jpg
What is this gray cushion you are using? It looks rather comfortable. I have been looking for some padding for the headband in order to make it a more snug fit.

Screenshot_20231220-073150.png

Dec 20, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #146 of 407
New, refurbished :)

HifiMan Edition XS have an entire thread dedicated solely to modification of the headband :D

A new trend, I suppose :thinking:

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #147 of 407
12243683.jpg

Wow: Two Moondrop VENUS and one Hifiman SUSVARA; you are a happy man! :)

I have three questions to ask you, if I may.

Do your two VENUS headphones sound the same?

Does the improvement in sound quality (and in particular the soundstage) improve when you go from a small amplification (like a portable DAP) to a larger amplification, like a powerful living room amplifier?

Is the SUSVARA significantly better than the VENUS (on your best amplifier); Is their sound signature similar?

Thank you in advance for your answers. :)

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #148 of 407
12243683.jpg

Wow: Two Moondrop VENUS and one Hifiman SUSVARA; you are a happy man! :)

I have three questions to ask you, if I may.

Do your two VENUS headphones sound the same?

Does the improvement in sound quality (and in particular the soundstage) improve when you go from a small amplification (like a portable DAP) to a larger amplification, like a powerful living room amplifier?

Is the SUSVARA significantly better than the VENUS (on your best amplifier); Is their sound signature similar?

Thank you in advance for your answers. :)
I am glad to answer your question.
Do you two VENUS headphones sound the same?
Yes, they sound the same. In fact, I have heard of three of them, and I have heard of someone else's, and they are all the same. But I believe that the longer the driving time, the more integrated the sound becomes.

I have a desktop device - QLS 390LE, which is a toy with a built-in battery. I can take it outdoors, but it can produce more sound than a portable device.
Its performance is certainly different under different devices, and the main difference is the vertical sound field. Driven by YAMAHA3200, its sound is more three-dimensional, giving a feeling of standing up. However, under QLS390LE, Vertical is not obvious anymore, only clear left and right channels.
In fact, the first two things that interested me the most were the 100mm diaphragm and 100dB/Vrms (converted to a more familiar 82.55dB/mv). I assumed that this earphone had great potential, but it seems that the official promotional strategy has some issues, which may not be very appealing to experienced enthusiasts. Meanwhile, its impedance is only 18 ohms, so it is not as difficult to drive as HE6 or SUSVARA, but it still belongs to very difficult to drive headphones. When I bought it for a speaker amplifier, although turning my volume knob to the 8 o'clock position was enough, the sound was very surprising.

I have to admit that SUSVARA is the king, but this comparison is not fair and the price difference is too much.
SUSVARA's sound is rich and natural, with a great emphasis on air and space. Its sound is relatively loose, tall, and spreading, and its sound details are incredible. But it is indeed more difficult to drive, and most devices can only try to experience it. Driving it well comes at a high cost. You can check SUSVARA's posts, and I think you can see various solutions.
The sound of VENUS is more impactful and aggressive, and its high-frequency extension is also very exaggerated. The middle and low frequencies have thickness, and the low frequencies are very powerful. I really like VENUS to express some rock, jazz, or other highly infectious music. Although SUSVARA is also good at these, fundamentally, it simulates a large classical music hall.
This is what I can think of, hoping to give you some help.

Attachments

• 33BF7FE57CF91A1AC105E6CCFFDA6F37.jpg
    33BF7FE57CF91A1AC105E6CCFFDA6F37.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #149 of 407
I am glad to answer your question.
Do you two VENUS headphones sound the same?
Yes, they sound the same. In fact, I have heard of three of them, and I have heard of someone else's, and they are all the same. But I believe that the longer the driving time, the more integrated the sound becomes.

I have a desktop device - QLS 390LE, which is a toy with a built-in battery. I can take it outdoors, but it can produce more sound than a portable device.
Its performance is certainly different under different devices, and the main difference is the vertical sound field. Driven by YAMAHA3200, its sound is more three-dimensional, giving a feeling of standing up. However, under QLS390LE, Vertical is not obvious anymore, only clear left and right channels.
In fact, the first two things that interested me the most were the 100mm diaphragm and 100dB/Vrms (converted to a more familiar 82.55dB/mv). I assumed that this earphone had great potential, but it seems that the official promotional strategy has some issues, which may not be very appealing to experienced enthusiasts. Meanwhile, its impedance is only 18 ohms, so it is not as difficult to drive as HE6 or SUSVARA, but it still belongs to very difficult to drive headphones. When I bought it for a speaker amplifier, although turning my volume knob to the 8 o'clock position was enough, the sound was very surprising.

I have to admit that SUSVARA is the king, but this comparison is not fair and the price difference is too much.
SUSVARA's sound is rich and natural, with a great emphasis on air and space. Its sound is relatively loose, tall, and spreading, and its sound details are incredible. But it is indeed more difficult to drive, and most devices can only try to experience it. Driving it well comes at a high cost. You can check SUSVARA's posts, and I think you can see various solutions.
The sound of VENUS is more impactful and aggressive, and its high-frequency extension is also very exaggerated. The middle and low frequencies have thickness, and the low frequencies are very powerful. I really like VENUS to express some rock, jazz, or other highly infectious music. Although SUSVARA is also good at these, fundamentally, it simulates a large classical music hall.
This is what I can think of, hoping to give you some help.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. :)

Your answers are precise and answer my questions perfectly.

Concerning the frequency response, undoubtedly exaggerated of the VENUS in the extreme treble, above 10 KHz, as also with my ex Stax SR-007 mk2 headphones, also bright above 10 KHz, there is a bias, because at my age, my hearing is shortened above 10-12 KHz, and the frequency peak of the Venus at 12 KHz does not bother me; not to mention that these are very high harmonics in the treble, and few musical instruments have such high harmonics at a high dB SPL level, at 12 KHz. (Note: fairly rapid decay of high-frequency harmonics, in SPL, above 10 KHz, including cymbals).

One last question for you (just out of curiosity): why did you buy two VENUS headphones? Wouldn't only one sample of VENUS headphones have sufficed?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #150 of 407
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. :)

Your answers are precise and answer my questions perfectly.

Concerning the frequency response, undoubtedly exaggerated of the VENUS in the extreme treble, above 10 KHz, as also with my ex Stax SR-007 mk2 headphones, also bright above 10 KHz, there is a bias, because at my age, my hearing is shortened above 10-12 KHz, and the frequency peak of the Venus at 12 KHz does not bother me; not to mention that these are very high harmonics in the treble, and few musical instruments have such high harmonics at a high dB SPL level, at 12 KHz. (Note: fairly rapid decay of high-frequency harmonics, in SPL, above 10 KHz, including cymbals).

One last question for you (just out of curiosity): why did you buy two VENUS headphones? Wouldn't only one sample of VENUS headphones have sufficed?
The reason why I bought the second one
My options are limited, as the speaker amplifier is already driving the headphones, so there aren't as many headphones to choose from.
The price of Venus is quite acceptable, and there has been a recent price reduction.
I am concerned about the market prospects of Venus. The electronic market is undergoing rapid updates and I don't know which day it will be taken down. After all, Para has already fully launched its products. I have actually read various criticisms online about venus, and I don't know where the problem lies. I don't know if it's because I'm too biased or if the amplifier power used by others is not enough.
At the same time, I am concerned about the lifespan of Venus. You know, its diaphragm looks bare, although I don't know if my concerns are correct. I think buying a second one is considered insurance.
My previous experience was that about eight or nine years ago, I could easily buy a brand new Hifiman HE6, but I didn't have this awareness at the time. When I realized that I wanted a He6, there were no new HE6 on the market anymore. I had a HE6, but I didn't like its condition and later sold it. I could only buy HE6SE in the end, but there is a clear difference between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back