Moody Blues
Aug 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

landgreen

Head-Fier
Greetings
Any suggestions for the best sounding sources for Moody Blues albums from In Search Of The Lost Chord to Every Good Boy Deserves Favours. I have the HD Tracks Flac "Days of Future Passed" which sounds great. I have EGBDF,Question and OTTOAD on SACD and that may be the answer but am wondering if there are any Moody Blues fans with different suggestions.
Thanks

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 7
I have almost every album on vinyl. The 6 albums I have are great. I don't have the 1965 1st record. There is also an import on Decca or Deram with the early release of Days Of Future Past which is a great sounding vinyl. Sorry I know nothing of the remasters here. Maybe folks will chime in on the newer digital releases. 

One other album which to me sounds like the Moodys is Genesis to Revelation by Genesis. This is their 1st album recorded when they were teens.The original vinyl of this is great. The mono they say is the best but it's sick cash if you find it on vinyl.

Back in the 1990s and 2000s there was a Moody Blues backlash where all their albums were almost everywhere really cheep. Don't know if you can find them like that now. Seems like you should still.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 7
I've got four or five of their SACD releases that I deeply love. They sound great and come with some nice literature.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything by them on vinyl or CD. But you sure won't be suffering if you have the SACDs.

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 7
I'm thinking of getting back into vinyl. Being a big Genesis fan I appreciate your thoughts on G to R as Moodys like. An amazing effort by a group of 17 or so years old musicians starting out.
Thanks for the input. 

Quote:
I have almost every album on vinyl. The 6 albums I have are great. I don't have the 1965 1st record. There is also an import on Decca or Deram with the early release of Days Of Future Past which is a great sounding vinyl. Sorry I know nothing of the remasters here. Maybe folks will chime in on the newer digital releases. 

One other album which to me sounds like the Moodys is Genesis to Revelation by Genesis. This is their 1st album recorded when they were teens.The original vinyl of this is great. The mono they say is the best but it's sick cash if you find it on vinyl.

Back in the 1990s and 2000s there was a Moody Blues backlash where all their albums were almost everywhere really cheep. Don't know if you can find them like that now. Seems like you should still.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 7
I have their CDs and started replacing my favorites with the MF gold copies (years ago). As UE says, you can't go wrong with the SACDs.

Aug 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #6 of 7
I'm not the biggest fan but I have Days of Future Passed MFSL and Long Distance Voyager 1st US press CD. Both sound excellent. At another website where people discuss these things at length, there doesn't seem to be much love for the SACD's.  If you are on a budget look for the early US and West Germany pressings(aluminum center). You can't go wrong with the MFSLs, but be prepared to drop some serious coin. Many  prefer both to the SACDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back