Mont Blanc Help
Aug 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

rx7_fan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Looking to buy a Mont Blanc pen, I'm deciding between a fountain pen or ball point classique. I know you guys has more experience w/ these pens so please give me your opinion.

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 24
Fountain Pen.
Meisterstuck or go home.
wink.gif

I say this as a guy that was deemed to have atrocious handwriting at school.
The remedy was an hour a day of calligraphy under the hawk eye of a mean old nun who'd have us doing endless pages of script, dispensing sharp cracks to the knuckles with her ruler for any perceived transgressions. We were forbidden from writing with anything other than fountain pens; in fact ball points (which are an atrocious invention and a slight against handwriting period) were banned from school.

Consequently, my handwriting sucks and becomes totally unintelligible with a ballpoint, barely rising above gibberish with a fountain pen.

So, yeah, a long winded way of saying go with the fountain pen, paying particular attention to choosing and shaping the nib to suit your style.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 24
I know mont blanc is famous for their ink, but some people said their pen are over priced? is that true? Just trying to make a good decision in buying a pen.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 24
If you're up for a little drive, go visit Fred at the Fountain Pen Shop in Monrovia:

Fountain Pen Shop: Fountain Pens, Roller Balls, Ballpoint, Collectibles, Service

I've done business with him since 1994 - always fair, friendly and does good work.

As for Montblanc... I think they're a little pricey for what you get. If you're set on a Meisterstuck, look for a vintage one with a metal piston filler. You'll see it when you unscrew the blind cap on the back. Those are much better than their current all plastic (or "precious resin" or whatever) pens.

I've had a few MB fountains over the years. I like the nibs and the ergonomics, but have had one's feed turn balky over time (it was clean) and one with a mysterious, hard to see, small crack that leaked and took some time to pin down. So, if that's what you really want, they're OK. But if I had to buy a new one, I'd go with an Omas or Stipula.

Vintage is not a bad way to go, either. Many of them have fantastic build quality and will hold up for lifetime, even 50 years on. My everyday carry switches between a Parker 51 and a Sheaffer PFM. Collectors are gobbling up PFMs now, but you can get great similar performance from a regular, affordable, Sheaffer Snorkel. I highly recommend either of those.

I wasn't keen on Mont Blanc ink, either. I've used and liked Aurora, Waterman, Visconti, and Noodler's. I usually fill with Noodler's.

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 24
It seems you don't have first-hand experience with fountain pens. I would suggest you get an inexpensive Pilot Vpen disposable fountain pen and try it before committing either way. Keep in mind also that there are usually three options: fountain pen, roller ball and ballpoint pen. Most people prefer the rollerball to the ballpoint.

Montblanc is the brand pen snobs love to hate, but my MB fountain pen is the most reliable FP I own. My S.T. Dupont writes better, but tends to dry out far too quickly.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It s Most people prefer the rollerball to the ballpoint.

I didn't know there was difference. What is it?
ph34r.gif

I really don't go near anything with a ball and as I find Fountain Pens to be a bit impractical for daily use I now write with these things:
EJ051235.jpg

They are the only pens (short of FPs) that allow me to reread what I wrote.
redface.gif
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Montblanc is the brand pen snobs love to hate, but my MB fountain pen is the most reliable FP I own.

My sentiments exactly. The MB pens are not cheap and there are alternative brands out there but the MB do tend to be resilient in use.
o2smile.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 24
I collect fountain pens and have a Mont Blanc 147; it leaks like a sieve, which if you don't mind getting ink all over your hands, it has a smooth, wet nib. I think, if this is your first fountain pen, you would probably like the writing experience of a Pelikan 800M-1000M or a Parker Duofold. Then again, if money is no object, get an Omas. The sites I like best are Joon.com and fountainpenhospital.com.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 24
For the same -- or less -- money, you can get a similarly-sized Pelikan fountain pen. They're essentially bulletproof. They may not have the snob appeal of a Montblanc (not a slight against you for wanting one, you understand), but I've found that generally they perform better and among those who know fountain pens, they get much more respect.

Me, I use an old Namiki stealth Vanishing Point, and have every day for the past 15 years. It's a clickable, retractable fountain pen. I have a Pelikan, but I use it only rarely.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the same -- or less -- money, you can get a similarly-sized Pelikan fountain pen. They're essentially bulletproof. They may not have the snob appeal of a Montblanc (not a slight against you for wanting one, you understand), but I've found that generally they perform better and among those who know fountain pens, they get much more respect.

Yes, Pelikan makes wonderful pens. I have a few of them and they're great performers. For current production, I like the M600 series. They're closer to a "normal" pen's width than the M800 or M1000 series. The big ones are good, too.

One thing I really like about my M600 is that it's easy to unscrew the nib. That makes it a snap to clean the pen out.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 24
Ditto on the M600. Unlike the M800 and M1000 which have metal pistons, the M600 balances much better. The M600 is just about the biggest pen I would want to use everyday as well.

Of all the pens I own, the three I like best are my Visconti Van Gogh, Omas Bologna, Pelikan M250 (the first gold nibbed pen I bought), and my Lamy 2000.

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Of all the pens I own, the three I like best are my Visconti Van Gogh, Omas Bologna, Pelikan M250 (the first gold nibbed pen I bought), and my Lamy 2000.

Wait! that is four pens.
wink_face.gif

OP, another option is to get a vintage pen. Something like a restored Parker 51, you should be able to get one for under a $100 maybe under $75. Imagine writing w/ a pen that has been around for 50+ years.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait! that is four pens.
wink_face.gif

Oops! And so it is.
tongue_smile.gif

Actually, I was thinking of the first three in the list when I was typing and then I saw the 2000 sitting on my desk near the keyboard. My 2000 has an F nib and I find that its stiffness is perfect for my style of handwriting. My writing is neater with it than with any other pen I own so I figured I should include it on the list.

The 2000 is my check writing pen because of my handwriting and because it always works right away no matter how long it has been sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back