Mont Blanc Help
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know there was difference. What is it?

Ballpoint pens have a thick goopy ink that is smeared around and dries on contact. Rollerballs have a finer, precision-ground ball and fluid ink that does not dry instantly (and thus can be smeared by mistake). They more closely approximate the writing experience of a fountain pen. You also have gel pens, which are rollerballs that use a gelled (rather than liquid) ink that is still less viscous than ballpoint pen ink, and can carry pigments instead of dyes for archival purposes. MB also makes fineliners, which are basically the same as fine point Sharpies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i'm looking to be a principal of a school so I would need a nice pen to write those detentions for the little kiddies...hehe

A big red Sharpie would be ideal for that purpose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the same -- or less -- money, you can get a similarly-sized Pelikan fountain pen. They're essentially bulletproof. They may not have the snob appeal of a Montblanc (not a slight against you for wanting one, you understand), but I've found that generally they perform better

I have a MB Meisterstück, a Pelikan M800 and a M805, the MB is much more reliable than either Pelikan. Then again, I cleaned up my grandfather's old Pelikan (at least 50 years old) and it still works fine, if a bit scratchy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the same -- or less -- money, you can get a and among those who know fountain pens, they get much more respect.

MB is the brand pen aficionados love to hate, just like watch snobs love to hate Rolex, because it is too mainstream. MB is closer to Rolex than to Bose, however - overpriced but reliable.

My favorite pen is a S.T. Dupont Orpheo. It dries out far too quickly, unfortunately.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #17 of 24
As I mentioned in the previous pen thread, another good cheap first starter FP is the Parker Vector Series fountain pens. Very simple, relatively cheap fountain pens that take a beating rather well and have a smooth, relatively soft nib that draws an excellent line.

Sep 3, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #18 of 24
sorry to be a troll about this,

but i like the waterman serenite,
Its about breaking the mold, becuase every suit out there has a little gold clip connected to a black top with a snowy tip,

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #19 of 24
If a vintage pen interests you, try to make the trip to the Fountain Pen Shop. Fred has 200-300 for sale and you'll be able to try one out right there. They can also adjust or regrind the nib on any pen you like and will service anything they sell.

Also, there's a big international pen show at the Manhattan Beach Mariott every February. If you get hooked, this is one of the biggest pen meets in the world - you can try out almost anything that interests you and it is even easier to spend money.
wink.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #20 of 24
I'm a bit different than many, in that my everyday writers all come from the 1920's and 30's. For the price of a Mont Blanc (or less), you can get a Parker "Big Red" Duofold (well, the later plastic ones, anyway. Red hard rubber gets more expensive). If I had to come down to one pen, modern or vintage, it would probably be a vintage senior Duofold (or an oversize Chilton, but that's out of the "reasonable" price range if you can even find one).

Mont Blanc has made some wonderful pens, but the modern ones make me think that Mont Blanc has turned itself into the Bose of fountain pens. You're buying the name, not product excellence.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #21 of 24
I ve got the Mont Blanc Starwalker.

Got it as a Gift.

Mont Blanc pens are great to have unless u have to buy them with your own money
biggrin.gif

Try Parker Sonnett if u need an elegant well designed Fountain pen.... also, checkout Parker Duofold..its a great black colored, silver rimmed Fountain pen.

I used to collect Pens as a kid..still got about 20 parkers.. some got stolen in high school by greedy classmates

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, there are a lot better choices than Mont Blanc ink.

I have nothing against the flow characteristics of Montblanc ink, just that they don't seem to have a large range of colours to pick from.
Quote:

Originally Posted by theeditor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I collect fountain pens and have a Mont Blanc 147; it leaks like a sieve, which if you don't mind getting ink all over your hands, it has a smooth, wet nib. I think, if this is your first fountain pen, you would probably like the writing experience of a Pelikan 800M-1000M or a Parker Duofold. Then again, if money is no object, get an Omas. The sites I like best are Joon.com and fountainpenhospital.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto on the M600. Unlike the M800 and M1000 which have metal pistons, the M600 balances much better. The M600 is just about the biggest pen I would want to use everyday as well.

Of all the pens I own, the three I like best are my Visconti Van Gogh, Omas Bologna, Pelikan M250 (the first gold nibbed pen I bought), and my Lamy 2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait! that is four pens.
wink_face.gif

OP, another option is to get a vintage pen. Something like a restored Parker 51, you should be able to get one for under a $100 maybe under $75. Imagine writing w/ a pen that has been around for 50+ years.

Ah great minds think alike! I ditto all of the above. The mainstream Montblancs don't write as well as their prices suggest. Even the Solitaire range have pretty standard, non-inspiring nibs. I would really suggest a Parker 51 Vacumatic or a Pelikan Souveran if you want something that writes really well. That said, there is nothing wrong with Montblanc fountain pens. They write fine. Just don't expect anything special apart from their good looks and apparent sex/glamour appeal. I have to admit I do want to have a LeGrand on my desk though. Time to raise some cash
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That said, there is nothing wrong with Montblanc fountain pens.

The current generation of Mont Blanc pens is made with "precious resin". While no doubt pretty, this means that the odds of a pen shattering are highly increased over a normal celluloid (or other normal material) pen. Earlier Mont Blanc pens were a bit more robust (my 146 is from the late '70s or early 80's, as it was made in W. Germany), and less likely to become instant scrap on impact.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #24 of 24
That silly reddish glass-plastic stuff is a hassle. I wouldn't want to drop my celluloid Pelikan any more than my "precious resin" Montblanc. Truth to be told, my Pelikan M600 has been flung five feet into the air and another five feet across the road onto the unforgiving concrete pavement, scraping to a halt in no less than a feet or two (shock horror!). It only has a few superficial scratches to show, but more importantly, it is still as solid as when I first purchased it. It is a pen which inspires confidence. I doubt any "precious resin" Montblanc would survive the same treatment without a cracked section or cap
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back