Monster Turbine VS Klipsch S4i
Feb 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GASKA

New Head-Fier
Hello.  Please help me decide between the two. Honestly I'd rather get the S5i (I think) but I have to shop Best Buy and they don't carry them.  Thanks in advance.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 10
What type of music you listen to most of the time? I like turbines better because of its strong bass.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Unless an inline mic is important to you, I'd lean toward the Monster Turbines (having only owned the Klipsch).

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 10

Thanks for the reply fellas. I mostly listen to video game and anime soundtracks and alot of classic rock. I got the Turbines now and love them. Yeah, I do miss the inline mic. Won't the Turbine w/control talk or the S5i ever get a general release?

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 10
I've used the S4's and the Turbines almost exclusively for about 6 months now and the Turbines absolutely do not have more/deeper bass, period.  I've had a splitter with both sets hooked up and swapped between the two (getting a good seal on both each time), and the S4's win hands down.  The turbines just *look like they would produce more bass.  This is not actually the case.  If you don't get good bass with the S4's than you don't know how to get a proper IE seal and in that case it doesn't matter what you use.  I have to use the S4's in the 'alternative' method of wearing them, which is over the ear.  This provides a good angle and a good seal for me.  You have to play with it to figure out what is the best way to wear IEs.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I've used the S4's and the Turbines almost exclusively for about 6 months now and the Turbines absolutely do not have more/deeper bass, period.  I've had a splitter with both sets hooked up and swapped between the two (getting a good seal on both each time), and the S4's win hands down.  The turbines just *look like they would produce more bass.  This is not actually the case.  If you don't get good bass with the S4's than you don't know how to get a proper IE seal and in that case it doesn't matter what you use.  I have to use the S4's in the 'alternative' method of wearing them, which is over the ear.  This provides a good angle and a good seal for me.  You have to play with it to figure out what is the best way to wear IEs.

That's weird.  Maybe your source just plays better with the S4s because when I compared the two on my Zune HD and my Cowon J3, I was more impressed with the bass on the Turbines.  Maybe it's a fit thing, but I've tried about 10 different tips on each and I'm confident I got a good seal on both.  Oh well.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:

I think that goes both ways. I think I know when I'm wearing IEMs properly and the Turbines not only have better bass depth to my ears but also more effortless detail and texture in the subbass regions.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 10

Quote:

I think that goes both ways. I think I know when I'm wearing IEMs properly and the Turbines not only have better bass depth to my ears but also more effortless detail and texture in the subbass regions.

I appreciate the graph; you are right it is a mixture of both technical specifications and performance vs. applied scenarios (i.e. ear canal, tip selection, actual purchased product quality variance, etc.).  In my experience, I have achieved a better bass sound and feel from the S4, but that doesn't mean necessarily someone will experience the same.

Thanks!

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 10
I realize that this thread is now years old, although it is still being hosted, and can be used to influence readers and perspective buyers.

Most audiophiles will undoubtedly trust their ears over posted specs when making the final decision to purchase, at least whenever possible that is. Remember, no two people hear the same little lone, your own two ears. Having said this, and the fact we are only looking at one type of testing....  plus trusting what is posted here is accurate.... then I'd like to comment on the one posted test here, which is frequency range.... most audiophiles will examine the graph to read that the "monster ear-buds", "colors the base"! This is to say it emphasizes certain frequencies at the bottom end quite profoundly.

Take a good look at the overall "flatness" of the Frequency Range.
Neither manufacture has an absolute desirable flat response, the monster clearly exaggerates the sound by an additional +/- 5 db. Considering sound pressure doubles every 3 db then this extreme swing of an additional 10 db is quite substantial. Audiophiles consider a swing of 10 db or more over the entire impressionable audio range extreme, little lone just the difference between two products. The monster ear-buds shown in the graph clearly swings 40 db over the audible range!!!
Once again the monster fails to be as flat as the Klipsch.
Perhaps some one with severe hearing impairment in the lower frequencies, might enjoy the emphasized bass the monster ear-buds demonstrate and purchasing them may aid more as an "hearing aid".
Buy which ever pleases you, trying to remember, it may take a duration and lots of different source listening material to aid in a precise conclusion.

My two cents worth.... BTW I have not heard either product... commenting on what was being interpreted as better bass rather than "emphasized base" shown by the graph!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back