Monster Turbine vs Klipsch Image S4
Oct 15, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #31 of 43
@dweaver: Cold weather wont be a problem for me because I live in Viet Nam :p I'm only worrying about the microphonic, durability issue and its mid, treble and soundstage which's quite few lol

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #32 of 43
I owned and sold the MTs. I felt the treble was a little off, but overall a nice IEM. I now own the S4s, and I find them to be the best value in IEMs at their price. I also own the UM3X, and not saying the S4s are on that level. But I can say that once the S4s are burned in properly (they are harsh out of the box, you can check my early posts. I didn't care for them), they sound simply fantastic - my choice over the MTs. Just my two cents. To really appreciate the S4s, I moved to a modded pair of Shure tri-flanges (white), trimming off the top flange and cutting the stalk to even at the bottom. Just great, and as comfy as the gels (I had been using the large).

Anyway, I really feel the S4s, if given adequate burn in (70-100 hours) are a better choice.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #35 of 43
Just grabbed a pair of S4 today, want to see how they compare with my IE7s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #36 of 43
Please do, and post impressions if you have time. I love them so far, and would love to hear more about what a good purchase I made; who wouldn't want to hear the praises of their newest IEM?
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #38 of 43
I own the TB's and have for many months and was very happy with them until I started to experiment with full size headphones especially open ones. Once I started down that path I found it hard to use my TB's.

I have been watching the S4 threads with interest but some skepticism as they seem to the FOTM right now. But when London Drugs put them on sale I finally gave in to curiosity and picked up a pair today.

Out of the box I feel they are nicer than my TB's and thats before have even been broken in. They are more comfortable by far (and I thought/think the TB's were comfortable). They have a nice bass thats as good as the TB's in my mind, the midrange is a bit more lively and the treble while a bit shrill right now is nice. The biggest difference for me though is they have some sound stage, something the TB's didn't really have. Coming from ATH AD700/900 headphones soundstage is very important to me. While the S4's have no where near that level of sound stage they have enough that I am liking them.

Now to the dislikes, for me the detail is not bad, but nothing compared to my AD900, having said that the AD900 is also a $300 fullsize headphone. When I compare these to my ES7's which are about the same price these match pretty nicely against the ES7 (which is a closed portable headphone BTW). They have a pretty closely matched bass and nicer mids, but the treble is very tinny in comparison to the ES7 (this may change with burnin though), and only a slightly smaller soundstage.

I think I will be keeping these as the comfort and convenience is much better for me at work than my larger headphones which I have been using as of late. BUt my AD900 are still my prefered HP for at home listening.

Oh and one last point, these sound very nice without an amp whereas even while my fullsize and portable HP's sound not bad unamped, they really shine with one. So these are a great choice for playing directly from and MP3 player (as are the TB's).

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the TB's and have for many months and was very happy with them until I started to experiment with full size headphones especially open ones. Once I started down that path I found it hard to use my TB's.

I have been watching the S4 threads with interest but some skepticism as they seem to the FOTM right now. But when London Drugs put them on sale I finally gave in to curiosity and picked up a pair today.

Out of the box I feel they are nicer than my TB's and thats before have even been broken in. They are more comfortable by far (and I thought/think the TB's were comfortable). They have a nice bass thats as good as the TB's in my mind, the midrange is a bit more lively and the treble while a bit shrill right now is nice. The biggest difference for me though is they have some sound stage, something the TB's didn't really have. Coming from ATH AD700/900 headphones soundstage is very important to me. While the S4's have no where near that level of sound stage they have enough that I am liking them.

Now to the dislikes, for me the detail is not bad, but nothing compared to my AD900, having said that the AD900 is also a $300 fullsize headphone. When I compare these to my ES7's which are about the same price these match pretty nicely against the ES7 (which is a closed portable headphone BTW). They have a pretty closely matched bass and nicer mids, but the treble is very tinny in comparison to the ES7 (this may change with burnin though), and only a slightly smaller soundstage.

I think I will be keeping these as the comfort and convenience is much better for me at work than my larger headphones which I have been using as of late. BUt my AD900 are still my prefered HP for at home listening.

Oh and one last point, these sound very nice without an amp whereas even while my fullsize and portable HP's sound not bad unamped, they really shine with one. So these are a great choice for playing directly from and MP3 player (as are the TB's).

Thanks a lot for the precious info, I really appreciated it
L3000.gif
I heard a lot that the S4'd benefit a lot from a 100hrs+ burn in. I'm looking forward for your impressions later
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on reviews of the Klipsch it sounds like there is an issue with the bass. however i have the Turbines, and i can tell you that NO IEphones can compare at the price. they are simply the best.
They plays every genre of music perfectly - good allrounders! AND great bass :p

Isolation could have been better, but still they do a pretty good job. The comfort is also top quality, but depends on your ears.

Overall, the Turbines can match phones twice their price!

CAN THEMOSNTER TURBINES BETTER THE UE SUPERFI 5 EB'S SUBWOOFER BASS, PROBABLY NOT BUT I THOUGHT ID ASK

Oct 31, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #42 of 43
The EB's bass is caused by a dynamic speaker and it's upper ranges are done my a BA speaker, so there is a good chance that the TB's may have similar bass since they are a dynamic speaker as well but I can't say I know for sure since I only own the TB's.

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump... I'm still looking for more info
biggrin.gif

Sorry, but no link needed. You buy the Shure tri-flanges, which are white, cut off the smallest one with an exacto knife or even a scissors, maknig the top flange smooth (don't leave any silicone sticking up) and then trim the sound tube to even with the bottom flange. Very simple, and is about the easiest DIY project in history. That's it. I still prefer that modded flange over the gels and soft flex tips. Just my preference, apart from the UM56 customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back