Monster Turbine "Upgrades"
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hapyhar0ld

Head-Fier
Good morning. I discovered you guys a couple days ago and have spent two days reading what I can only describe as a hurricane of knowledge. However, after reading as much as my eyes can handle I am at a loss to what course of action I need to take. Here is my situation.

I recently acquired the Monster Turbines and have burning them in and listening to them over the past two weeks. Although I do like them, they are lacking and would like some suggestions on what to purchase. I have a limited income as I am getting married, finishing my undergrad, ect. Although, the Turbines do sound good, they don't sound good with some of the music I listen to. For instance:

For music like Michael Jackson, ABBA, Infected Mushroom, Norah Jones, Akon, Katy Perry, Pink Floyd they sound great. The bass is present but not overwhelming. The highs sound fantastic, however at times I feel the bass can overpower the mids, but are yet warm. Overall I feel that they have a nice balance.

For music like Green Day, the All American Rejects, Steppenwolf, Bob Seger, George Winston, Eagles it sounds like the bass is a little muddy and the lower frequencies overpower the vocals. The vocals almost sound like they are in the back of the soundstage where the drummer and guitarist are in front of them.

Lastly for music like Beatles, the Beach Boys, the Phantom of the Opera it sounds like I'm listening to headphones through mud. The bass is too much and the vocals are dull and distant.

Overall I feel these headphones were a good value at $150 USD, however they leave me wanting a little more. I originally wanted some IEM due to their size, however at this point I just want a different sound! My price bracket is under $300 however, if I see the value in something I won't hesitate to spend the cash.

I am a believer in "getting the best bang for your buck". If I can spend $300 and get 90% of a $1,000 headphone, I'll spend the $300.

I've been looking at the Grado SR60 and am heading down to Seattle tomorrow to give them a try. However, I am totally open to any suggestions you guys may have.

Again, I thank you for your input and if ANY of my terminology is incorrect please don't hesitate to correct me. Thank you for your time.

PS: My sources at the moment are a Macbook and an iPod touch 2g. I currently do not own any Amplifiers.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 19
I recently went from the Turbines to the Sennheiser IE8s and have been very happy. For me the only downside have been a few fit issues and less than stellar isolation.

Overall though, I really love the IE8s. I would say I really "liked" the Turbines.

Based on what you said about "getting the best bang for your buck", it is hard to beat the Turbines for what you get at that price range. I spent an additional $160 to upgrade to the IE8s and I would say I got about a 20% improvement.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently went from the Turbines to the Sennheiser IE8s and have been very happy. For me the only downside have been a few fit issues and less than stellar isolation.

Overall though, I really love the IE8s. I would say I really "liked" the Turbines.

Based on what you said about "getting the best bang for your buck", it is hard to beat the Turbines for what you get at that price range. I spent an additional $160 to upgrade to the IE8s and I would say I got about a 20% improvement.

Thank you very much for the prompt response. When you say improvement...what kind of improvement are we talking about? Also where did you get them for $310!?

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 19
yeah, for the price, the turbine is a great earphone. that said, the ue series, 170vi and 220vi are very good, though the 200 is probably better and is now on sale or was for like 24.99$ usd.

honestly, most phones in the 50-100 range sound like each other as long as you stay away from the likes of Zagg Z-buds.

turbine for the 100-160 is one of my favourites. pfe are good also, atrio m5 are excellent (almost perfect).

here is a 220vi review.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 19
The Shure SE530's and Ultimate Ears Tripfle.fi's are cheaper to purchase new nowadays. They are both around $300 new and they are some of the best universal iems out there. I love my IE8's as well, but I think think the bass might be a bit too much for you even though they tighten up after a lot of burn in. Right out of the box, the bass on the IE8's are overwhelming.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure SE530's and Ultimate Ears Tripfle.fi's are cheaper to purchase new nowadays. They are both around $300 new and they are some of the best universal iems out there. I love my IE8's as well, but I think think the bass might be a bit too much for you even though they tighten up after a lot of burn in. Right out of the box, the bass on the IE8's are overwhelming.

I was actually looking at purchasing some Shure SE530. However, I am a little hesitant purchasing something over the internet and not liking them. Comparably how do they sound to the Turbines? Is the bass as strong? Are the vocals more forward in the sound stage? I'm concerned about dropping that kind of cash and then hearing an "improvement", but not the improvement I'm looking for. Sorry to be high maintenance.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 19
Differences in sound could point to your source files. Low bit-rate files are not going to sound as good on good phones. And if you have a severe EQ setting on your player, that could distort the sound as well.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was actually looking at purchasing some Shure SE530. However, I am a little hesitant purchasing something over the internet and not liking them. Comparably how do they sound to the Turbines? Is the bass as strong? Are the vocals more forward in the sound stage? I'm concerned about dropping that kind of cash and then hearing an "improvement", but not the improvement I'm looking for. Sorry to be high maintenance.

The bass is punchy and strong on the 530's but not overpowering like the turbines but can't go as low as the turbines. The vocals will sound very forward. The midrange is the best aspect of the 530's. The turbines have a wider soundstage. Make sure to buy them from a authorized seller if you're buying them new. People have had problems with cables in the past and Shure has excellent customer service.

Jun 26, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapyhar0ld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for the prompt response. When you say improvement...what kind of improvement are we talking about? Also where did you get them for $310!?

Improvements for me would be:

1. Soundstage - Turbines have an inside your head soundstage, IE8's soundstage extends well outside of your head.
2. Midrange - more forward than the Turbines and almost velvety.

Personally, I never have found the IE8s to be bass heavy as others have mentioned but maybe that is because MT was my last IEM.

I sent you a PM with details or where to buy from an authorized dealer for that price.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 19
Alright. So far I'll take a look at the IE8 and the SE530 for IEM.

Anyone have any suggestions for fullsize?

To come clean basically what I want is someone to say

"the Turbines will be the best bang for your buck and you should just keep them. However, the Grado SR60 will fill the void in your headphone collection so you can listen to your other types of music with the sound you are looking for."

Someone please tell me this will be the case!

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Differences in sound could point to your source files. Low bit-rate files are not going to sound as good on good phones. And if you have a severe EQ setting on your player, that could distort the sound as well.

This is a very good point. Generally my encoding isn't as good as it could be (192 VBR MP3). I'll see if I can dig up the original CDs and see if it corrects it.

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 19
If your looking at Grado HP's I would suggest trying the AD700, I own and like my Turbines but have to say the music with the AD700 is that much better, but they are an open can so do let in all the sound around you. But the sound stage is truly unreal and I love the mids and highs and for me the bass is also very good when it's supposed to be there.

EDit: Having reread your post the AD700 would be darn near perfect for you IMO due to your issues with bass getting in the way of the parts of your music. But they are big
smily_headphones1.gif
. I took them to work to show any employee and I wore them at my desk for the day. Now I have a hard time listening to my TB's. People teased me a bit but not much and the co-worker was amazed by their SQ.

OH and one more thing. They are less than $100 to buy
biggrin.gif
. The only issue you will have is getting your significant other to give them back to you after they have had a listen...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 19
I would say IE8's would be a upgrade. I bought the turbines previous to these and I used to own livewires, and sure530 but never did it for me. right now im burning in my IE8's and i would say it is about 30% upgrade with the turbines which makes it worth the price to me. If you like rock music, classical, or pop the sennheisers are excellent. .

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 19
Your setup is like to mine : iPod Touch 2G, no amp.

I had the Sennheiser IE8 & the Monster Turbines at the same time. I returned the latter.

I used to have the Westone 3 before I broke them when removing the Shure olive tips... The Turbines are very good IEMs for the price! I got it at $100 CAD and I would have kept it if I didn't own the Westone 3/Sennheiser IE8. But, I feel like there's something missing versus the 3s and IE8s. Also, I didn't like the cable... The cable on the 3s and IE8s are far superior than the Turbines. And, you can replace the IE8 cable if something goes wrong...

The only thing that bothers me with the IE8s is the isolation. I'm trying various tips and I might go with the ACS customs. Also, the headphone plug seems to catch some static on my iPod Touch 2G. But, it's gone for now.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 19
The Victor FX500's are making me keep the IE8's in a drawer. And for about the same price as the Turbines...
biggrin.gif

I have the Turbines as well, and in comparison to the Victors, they seem to have a muddy veil over the mids and highs. The bass is smeared and bleeds into the mids also. With the FX500's, there's such nice clarity and detail that I didn't think was possible with dynamics. There's another owner who just got them and said the detail is equal to or exceeds that of the ADDIEM's, which is no small feat considering they are supposed to be a very detailed and neutral dual BA driver earphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back