Monster Turbine Unboxed
Mar 26, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by SchneiderStudios /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should i buy an amp for them? i use them mostly with my macbook pro..

I don't really think it's necessary but I'm using mine with my Fiio E5 and I think that they go well together. The E5 is pretty cheap so it's a good starting point if you aren't too sure whether you want to explore more expensive amps later on. The extra bass is nice when you're listening to hip hop and bassy electronic music but I actually preferred the bass off for certain rock songs and more delicate music.

The E3 is even cheaper, but I wouldn't recommend it for the turbines because you can't switch off the bass enhancement.

However, I think I only got my turbines a couple of days or so before you, so my opinion might change as burn-in continues.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #18 of 27
Nice video, but the background music .... wow, deep and strong bass, through my PFEs... Nice. Matching with the Monster Turbine sound signature, IMHO
smily_headphones1.gif
, Just repeating the video... want to hear the BGM once more...

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Yeah but i was amazed that there wasn't really anything in that big box.
I was sure they would put some more stuff inside, they should make the package smaller.

Haha. Yeah, I agree totally on that point. It comes in a nice, impressive big box, but it's still a mostly empty big box. I think Soundmagic spoilt me with the amount of accessories they include in their nice, impressive small box for their PL30s.

That being said. I'm loving my Turbines so far and they're worthy successor to my UE 5Pros. By the way, what track are you using for your unboxing video?

On a side note, I've also found the Turbines to be really fun to watch movies with.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #20 of 27
Thanks bakhtiar

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTKZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. Yeah, I agree totally on that point. It comes in a nice, impressive big box, but it's still a mostly empty big box. I think Soundmagic spoilt me with the amount of accessories they include in their nice, impressive small box for their PL30s.

That being said. I'm loving my Turbines so far and they're worthy successor to my UE 5Pros. By the way, what track are you using for your unboxing video?

On a side note, I've also found the Turbines to be really fun to watch movies with.

its by the lonely island, but i think its just the instrumental not made by them, so i wont have copyright issues with youtube. try to listen to "Boombox" by them on itunes.
i agree on watching movies with them
here
audio music tracks on Project Playlist | Music Playlist || Facebook, Tagworld, Stickam, Hi5, Friendster, Infieldparking.com, Xanga, Myspace Music Playlists

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Yea i wasnt really amazed by the sound they have, i own the custom 3 so..the design in awesome they feel great but the wire is a downside, i wish they made it more like the shure wires, really heavy duty. but i have too say the bass is great, the highs are not so clear and i used them only for 3 minutes so i want to burn them in first and hopefully they will sound better. I have to say i really like the se115, i bought just to try and ended up keeping them. but we will see.

I promise that they get MUCH better as they get broken in. I was really disappointed when I first tried mine. I was convinced I would be selling them right away. I have had them for about a week now and ran about 12 hours of pink noise and about 20 hours of real world use.

Each day I am more and more impressed and usually smiling on my commute to work as I find I like them more and more.

Right now they are running flat on my Sony, my ER6i had to have the bass boosted and I was using the EQ to tame them down. I popped in my Er6is late last week and was shocked how bad they sounded in comparison.

I am using the tips from my old Sony MDR-EX70s as I found they really opened up the soundstage and cleaned up the bass. They Comply T400s I ordered just arrived yesterday (Wow is Amazon's free shipping getting slow).

I'll post my impressions on the main Turbine thread.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by GrooveRite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know where I can get a good deal on the Turbines?

I bought mine on eBay are was very happy with the seller. After Live Cashback, they were about 2/3 of list. PM me and I will send the info.

Update: Looks like he raised the price $10 but still about 20% cheaper than the usual places.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Life is too short to listen to BAD headphones.

ooo how i hate to see that quote again :p it made me still wanna buy better high end equipment! hehe at least its work... and i also applied it to other things too :p

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dosley01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I promise that they get MUCH better as they get broken in. I was really disappointed when I first tried mine. I was convinced I would be selling them right away. I have had them for about a week now and ran about 12 hours of pink noise and about 20 hours of real world use.

Each day I am more and more impressed and usually smiling on my commute to work as I find I like them more and more.

Right now they are running flat on my Sony, my ER6i had to have the bass boosted and I was using the EQ to tame them down. I popped in my Er6is late last week and was shocked how bad they sounded in comparison.

I am using the tips from my old Sony MDR-EX70s as I found they really opened up the soundstage and cleaned up the bass. They Comply T400s I ordered just arrived yesterday (Wow is Amazon's free shipping getting slow).

I'll post my impressions on the main Turbine thread.

thank for the tip, im now playing some pink noise and white with my iphone and turbines. i also have brown, blue and violet noise lol
i love the comply tips on them, they make it super comfortable!

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

i love the comply tips on them, they make it super comfortable!

I agree they are comfortable. I have really been a fan of the Comply Tips so far, but on the Turbines I am disappointed (I was warned before I ordered them).

I realize allot depends on each individuals ear canal and listening preferences but for me, they really roll off the high end and make the bass feel like I have a kick drum in the middle of my skull.

I used the T400s on the subway coming to work today and at first I really did like them. Since they isolate so well, I felt like I regained what I was missing from my Etys.

Once I got to work I started to listen to some of the albums I have been evaluating the Turbines with:

The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
The Raconteurs - Consolers Of The Lonely
Diana Krall - All For You and Live in Paris
Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds - Live At Radio City
TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Compared to the Sony Silicone Tips:

Pros:
Much better isolation
Comfortable
More Bass

Cons:
Rolled off high end (Still there but outweighed by the bass)
Smaller soundstage
Muddy
Tougher to remove/reinsert

I really wanted the Complys to be my favorite, but for me the Sonys sound so much better. I'll save the Complys for flying or when I really need isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back