Monster Turbine Pro Gold -- Are they real??
Mar 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Soccerfreak24

New Head-Fier
Hey all, 

I've been wanting for some time to get a pair of Monster Turbine Pro Gold's, and finally pulled the trigger recently. I saw them on amazon used for less than $100 so I bought them. I figured if they were fake, I would be able to identify them and get my money back. If they are real, then it's a great deal. 

They arrived today and sound good. At the same time, I don't know a whole lot about audio(as these are the best earbuds I've ever had), so I honestly would need a real pair to confirm with. 

Any way anyone could identify them as real or fake? I want to be 100% sure if I contact the seller. 

I attached some photos because I heard if the grill is recessed they are probably fake. Any other photos you would need to see? 

Any way besides these pictures you could help me identify? There were no super tips or much in the box as apparently the guy bought them from his friend or something... 

Thank you so much
Matt

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 17
They are fake. 

Other than the recessed speaker grill, the bottom portion of the strain reliefs on real MTPG have about 3 deep grooves in them. Also it looks like they did the housing wrong as the red/blue stripes in the housing should be circular bumps. Also the stitching on the storage unit is gold, not white. Also the material looks different and they were more than a shade or two off in color.Thats about as far as I can tell just on 2 pictures.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 17
Also also, the silver portion leading into the nozzle is much "shinier" on an authentic pair. Yours looks black. Almost like polished lead. I would report them to Monster so that they know and can shut down the seller before anyone else gets burned. Next time, go with an authorized dealer. It may be more, but it will give you an authentic, better sounding pair and peace of mind.

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7 of 17
I do believe they are fake, but in response to a few points made:

The threading on the bag is gold. 

The camera made the silver look black, it is fairly silver in person. 

The strain reliefs do have 3 slits, they are just on the backside. 

Also what exactly do you mean by:

Also it looks like they did the housing wrong as the red/blue stripes in the housing should be circular bumps

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 17
$75 redund at least for the fakes, he should give you a full refund and you should report him.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Here's a gallery that might help. The reflection of the silver portion is one way of telling, although according to the copper comparison, fakes are more reflective

<edit> The fake definitely looks more matte. Did you pay with paypal? because you could probably dispute it.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:

The threading on the bag is gold. 

The camera made the silver look black, it is fairly silver in person. 

The strain reliefs do have 3 slits, they are just on the backside. 

Also what exactly do you mean by:

I dont mean to argue with you but judging by those pictures, I know they are 100% fake. You definitely should report him and get a 100% refund through amazon. If the seller is uncooperative with your demands, go straight to amazon. You have been scammed.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 17

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he's aware they're fake. Perhaps thinking otherwise is just wishful thinking.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 17
I think the fact the seller is agreeing to a partial refund is slightly alarming. It certainly makes it seem like he knew they were fake beforehand. If I sold a set of headphones, and was contacted for a refund because the buyer said they were fake, I would have quite a few questions for both the buyer and the person I purchased the headphones from in the first place.

Good luck with your situation though, I agree with the others who have said they would be asking for almost a full refund. Fakes aren't worth much to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back