Monster Turbine Pro Copper Owners Please Help!
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

fizzle

New Head-Fier
So here's the story. I bought the Turbine pro coppers at my local futureshop. They sounded very odd to me, one earphone had virtually no bass. so I exchanged them for a new pair and while they were somewhat better, the problem was still there. Another exchange later and again the same problem. I just did another exchange and I'm getting rather tired of this whole ordeal. I can say one thing is for certain: non of the coppers sounded the same to my ears. They were all very different, and this latest pair is the MOST different sounding. I'll start by noting that the cable is not 'grippy' like the previous ones. The IEMs feel lighter. There is left-over glue on the ear tips. There are some minor blemishes on the strain relief. But the sound... BASS. It's overpowering everything else. These sound nothing like the last pair I had. The last pair sounded very balanced and accurate. The bass was very tight and hit low... the uneven bass only came out on some tracks. These ones on the other hand are booming in my head to the point of inducing a headache. Furthermore, these new ones are more 'pluggy'. My voice reverberates in my head when I talk, much like ear plugs, whereas the other pairs did not exhibit this phenomena. When I press down on them after accomplishing a good seal I get this high pitch wooshing sound as music is playing. Only the right earphone seems to do this. The others did not have this either. 

Good news is they sound even... I think

Please describe to me what yours are like. Is the bass all punchy because of burn-in? Is this what they are supposed to sound like? Are they supposed to be all ear-pluggy? These are making me feel like i have a sub-woofer booming in my brain!

Also: I tried different sources, tips, headphones etc. I know these problem are real and not figments of my imagination. 

I can provide pictures upon request. Lot number is CG287.

Much thanks in advance!

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 6
I had a worse story with copper. I exchanged it with monster cable for 4 times and finally they gave me a refund.
My first pair was just a glue problem. Then I contacted monster and they gave me a 2nd pair.
The 2nd pair's left ear sounds louder then the right one, so I exchanged again.
The 3rd pair had a weird problem of losing the vocal part of songs after 4-5 hours of listening.
And then came my 4th pair, they shipped me a turbine GOLD in a COPPER box.
I'm just glad that I have my refund now.

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
I had a worse story with copper. I exchanged it with monster cable for 4 times and finally they gave me a refund.
My first pair was just a glue problem. Then I contacted monster and they gave me a 2nd pair.
The 2nd pair's left ear sounds louder then the right one, so I exchanged again.
The 3rd pair had a weird problem of losing the vocal part of songs after 4-5 hours of listening.
And then came my 4th pair, they shipped me a turbine GOLD in a COPPER box.
I'm just glad that I have my refund now.

Ya these sound like what people have described the Gold sound like... But they look like coppers I think. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 6
i presume he's exchanging it with the store. If there's cosmetic issues, such as those glue, you should bring it back to FS and as for an exchange. 

About the bass: when i first got my coppers, they were slightly bass heavy. After much burn-in the bass isn't as loose and starts to tame down. The highs and mids open up as well. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
i presume he's exchanging it with the store. If there's cosmetic issues, such as those glue, you should bring it back to FS and as for an exchange. 

About the bass: when i first got my coppers, they were slightly bass heavy. After much burn-in the bass isn't as loose and starts to tame down. The highs and mids open up as well. 

Right, the store. So I did one last exchange and I finally got a good pair. To potential MTPC owners--if things don't sound right, they probably aren't! Its not a figment of your imagination. Quality control appears to be non-existent on these cans as 4/5 headphones were faulty in some way. The last pair I had with the boomy bass were terrible compared to these new ones. The bass is tight, and hits very low but is no overpowering on the good ones. I suggest shopping from futureshop as they have an infinite exchange policy. Furthermore, the newer revisions of the MTPC don't have a 'grippy' cable like the older revisions. The new lot number I have on mine is CG483. 

Was it worth all the hassle? Yes. Very much yes. These sound incredible. I'm still getting used to hearing all the details in my music. If I were to compare these to the DDM (which I also own), I would say MTPC owns on all fronts. Mainly because they hit low like the DDM, but have the sparkling detail that the DDM's lack. Mids are more restrained on the MTPC but the detail makes up for it. Also take into consideration the build quality on the MTPC (when you get a good one), cabling, comfort, fit, accessories etc. All in all a better more complete package. 

Also, canadians: Don't pay 400$ for these. TRY TO PRICE MATCH. YMMV but I managed to get these for 163$ from futureshop pricematched to the price difference of amazon.com. 

I can provide pictures if need be. I know these are a new lot as the price sticker was dated Feb. 8, 2011. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back