Monster Turbine durability question
Jun 1, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 10
I have to ask a question first: How careless you think you are? I'm telling you this because I broke a few pairs fooling around and now I use different IEMs according to the situation. No cable withstand high tension. If you keep the Turbines inside the pouch they come with when you're not using them, if you avoid sleeping with them and don't use it for workout there's nothing should worry about. 

It depends of you and for the future if you think you are not careful enough try looking for detachable cables.
Hope it helps

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #3 of 10
The cable is somewhat problematic at the connection points or the ear pieces amd the 3.5mm connector. The only way I see these breaking is gping to be with a cabling issue the connector jack shorting out is pretty common

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 10
The biggest problem with the Turbines is definitely the cable / the jack. I've owed the MTs for a few years now and I've gone through at least 5+ RMAs with Monster (their customer service is great though; I get my replacement with 2 - 3 weeks after dropping it off at their HQ). Even with the utmost care, the MT seems to fall apart. The most common problem for me is the cabling; sometimes it would rip / tear on the external rubber shielding. Sometimes it would be an internal wiring issue (probably due the the constant flexing of the cable). There was a few times where I would even consider wrapping the cable in heat shrink to protect it, but after a while, I gave up on the idea. Now, the MTs (along with my Miles Davis Tributes) sits in my closet, never touched. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 10
If anything I remember reading that klipsch has a worse reputation for cable failure then monster!

FWIW if you are still set on turbines, I had a pair (didn't like em much after managing to get them cheap as a curiosity, too much bass) and the cables fine.  Didn't take particularly good care but used them in rough situations.  Not saying the cables bomb proof but with care you should be fine.  Detatchable cables aren't the be all and end all either.  For a laugh have a dig round the shure 215 and ultimate ears 900 threads (two different iems with two different price points) and see the amount of complaints on the cable sockets.

As ever ymmv,

Cheers

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
If anything I remember reading that klipsch has a worse reputation for cable failure then monster!

FWIW if you are still set on turbines, I had a pair (didn't like em much after managing to get them cheap as a curiosity, too much bass) and the cables fine.  Didn't take particularly good care but used them in rough situations.  Not saying the cables bomb proof but with care you should be fine.  Detatchable cables aren't the be all and end all either.  For a laugh have a dig round the shure 215 and ultimate ears 900 threads (two different iems with two different price points) and see the amount of complaints on the cable sockets.

As ever ymmv,

Cheers

ive also owned the klipsch s4 ii and yes they too had failure at the jack. so i would agree those suck too lol

Jun 2, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 10
I've had the turbines and was shocked how easily they started breaking. Logo's falling off, colour pealing and cable quickly wearing until one earphone died. 

Further I find their fit awful, but I did like the sound (When I held the buds with both hands to perfectly aline them in my ear for seal then not moving my head). Quite a lot, even. Excellent sound for electronic music. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 10
i have a pair and the right side just started going out. has anyone done a repair/cable change for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back