Monster "HDMI Difference" Scam?
Mar 23, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
Monster "HDMI Difference" scam still kickin' in Fry's Electronics

Not sure if this is news to the community, but it's quite shocking to me that even the largest cable company couldn't resist testing the fine line between marketing and scam.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Hmm...I kinda feel that the comparison was between the older composite connection vs new HDMI connection. Agreed that its got Monster written all over it, but thats just marketting.

I dont think there is any foul play involved here unless they clearly state "The Monster difference, on the left, cheaper HDMI cable, on the right, Monster HDMI cable"

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure if this is news to the community, but it's quite shocking to me that even the largest cable company couldn't resist testing the fine line between marketing and scam.
frown.gif

I wonder if this is Fry's, as opposed to Monster. I seem to recall hearing that ales people often are given extra incentives to sell Monster cables (due the markup), so perhaps since this is happening in the store, and that's where the problem is.
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Shocked? Really? You might want to look closely at other manufacturers, too. Monster isn't the only cable maker with gargantuan profit margins.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shocked? Really? You might want to look closely at other manufacturers, too. Monster isn't the only cable maker with gargantuan profit margins.

this isn't about profit margins, its about lying in order to push more expensive cables, there is a difference

instead of telling the user they're dumb/inferior/whatever if they can't hear/see the difference between two cables, they're not even allowing a reasonable comparison to take place

unless their intent is similar to what jilgiljongiljing is saying, kind of a "this is what HDMI will look like, this is what non-HDMI looks like, buy Monster!"

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this isn't about profit margins, its about lying in order to push more expensive cables, there is a difference

instead of telling the user they're dumb/inferior/whatever if they can't hear/see the difference between two cables, they're not even allowing a reasonable comparison to take place.

All true, but look at the sales techniques used by other companies, too. Is this any worse than paying someone to shill products on a message board?

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All true, but look at the sales techniques used by other companies, too. Is this any worse than paying someone to shill products on a message board?

imho yes, because imho only a fool buys something 110% off of message board comments

this takes advantage of consumer confidence in a retail store (Fry's in this case) and manipulates the scenario to make Monster look miles better, when in reality it isn't

...this is why I don't pay for cables (I think in the last 10 years, I've purchased two audio cables total)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back