Monster Cable Power Filter PC1000 for $60.00
Feb 16, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #61 of 74
It doesnt look like they will let me order from buy.com from canada...
frown.gif

Looks like I will have to search elsewhere... its too bad, such a nice price.

EDIT: damn, checked the other place and they are US only as well... anyone aware of anyone selling to canada in the same cost range? I dont mind shelling out $60, but MSRP is a LOT more. Also, if anyone is looking to sell theirs send me a PM.

Thanks,

Feb 17, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #64 of 74
To anyone who has one of these...

Will the two "RJ11" labeled jacks fit an RJ45 plug? I'd like to put surge suppresion on an incoming network connection to my headphone system, w/o spending too much.

They mention "broadband" protection, but I can't determine if they are referring to coax for a cable modem, or a RJ45 network connector.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #65 of 74
philodox

I'm in the same boat as you...I went to Futureshop and the HTS 1000 is $249.00.

Frankly, I am not interested in the surge protector portion because all of that is a big pile of snake-oil...home owners insurance will cover lightning strikes though you'll be out the $500.00 deductable...thanks I'll take the risk. And the odds of a lightning strike here is SOOOO low it's like winning the lotto back to back...ie ZERO.

What I need is to reduce the noise of the tv, home theater.

I went to Radioshack and they have some device that might work but they were out of it...it's a box that grounds something.

I also went to Wal-mart - yes I was desparate - but they have something by a brand called Fellows(or something like this) that ios a six outlet device - not a power bar but just six outlets that you connect to the wall. Anyway on the back in it's description it also claims to cut all noise and has the graph of before and after.

Price $9.99 Cdn. It is also a surge protector and protects you up to $5,000.00. There are however two better ones - that Wal-Mart naturally doesn't carry but one will cover you up to $50,000.00 lifetime warranty blah blah blah - more than enough for most people I should think.

I just got home today and read your post so I may go back and just buy the thing - if it doesn't work I'll bring it back.

For $60.00US I would have taken the Monster - but frankly these things are ridiculously marked up. Monster is doing nothing that wasn't invented 30 years ago but they have re-patented them and put fancy labels on everything. I don't doubt they work but keep looking because at $249.00 if there is a total cost including packaging and shipping for Monster that exceeds $3.00 I would be amazed. Then again it also explains why they sell a $60.00US re-badged versions because Home audio buyers are more gullible and will buy based off of name recognition/review and price over actual performance.

I'm going to ask Quale electronics that put electricity into homes if they have a cheap device (heck I got the cable company to come out to properly ground their wire and I got rid of a HUGE HUGE hum problem - cost was free).

I'm also planning to send an email to Bryston because in the Monster demo the Marantz 7300 had a lot of noise which the monster fixed but the Bryston required no fix because their amp with the same outlet had NO noise at all...granted Bryston has an exceptionally low noise floor but it makes me wonder.
600smile.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #66 of 74
No problem, bhd812.

RGA....the PC1000 is quite a hefty piece of gear and its power cord is quite heavy-duty as well. For US$60.00, it's well worth the price. Your figure of $249.00, is that in Canadian dollars?? If you are at Walmart, check in both home electronics department and the hardware/electrical department. Walmart actually sell some serious surge protector in the range of US$30.00 - US$45.00. I believe the brand was "Power Sentry"....

Also, as a former property claims adjuster for one of the US biggest insurance companies, check your policy for Limits on electronics. You may also want to check with your power company to file a claim for damages if a surge went through your gear. Use your insurance policy as your last resort.

Feb 26, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #67 of 74
RGA... thanks, that is some stuff for me to look into... I'm on a buying freeze right now because my contract at work is up... but as soon as I find something else I will be looking into a power solution
wink.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:06 PM Post #68 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by philodox
RGA... thanks, that is some stuff for me to look into... I'm on a buying freeze right now because my contract at work is up... but as soon as I find something else I will be looking into a power solution
wink.gif

I have something you might be interested in.
wink.gif

Biggie.

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #69 of 74
Word to the wise...avoid buy.com like the plague. Of all the online retailers I've ever dealt with they are the WORST (And I do an excessive amount of online shopping), just check their reseller rating. I ordered three items, one arrived over a month later, the other two never came, and it took numerous calls and emails and months get my money back. They also have charged customers for items they did not want. The PC1000s are clearanced out everywhere, so I'd suggest finding a better reseller to purchase them from, at least one that will send you the merchandise you ordered. ::end rant::
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #70 of 74
well unfortunately I tried a $29.99Cdn surge protector that claimed to get rid of noise...it didn't so I'm returing it.

Soundboy...yes the HTS 1000 is $249.99 Cdn which would be roughly $175.00US give or take with the dollar all over.

They do have a two jack small one with clean power stage 1 for $49.99 which I may give a try to.

It may just be a noisy TV that could be so poorly shielded that it's picking up RF or something else.

I had the cable company come in and properly ground their wiring so the Hum is completely gone...my Sugden was sounding like a jet engine and now dead quiet.

It could also be that partiular outlet because my bedroom where I actually have my higher end rig is dead quiet and I'm running the dirt cheapo power bar and extension cords to other outlets - LOL. (In here I'm running the Sugden A48b integrated, Cambridge Audio CD6, Soy mega changer, Pioneer DV333, MG Head/Sennheiser 600 and my new Audio Note speakers/NAD turntable). And 14 year old 27' JVC

The living room has New JVC 27i tv, Marantz 4300 receiver, Aspire DVD player, flagship Wharfedale's from late 80s 95 db horns.
It seems to be the TV that makes the most noise but the speakers make noise when on as well.

Of course this building is more than 30 years old too.

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #71 of 74
biggie, YGPM

Feb 27, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #72 of 74
Quote:

Originally posted by Super-Gonzo
Will the two "RJ11" labeled jacks fit an RJ45 plug? I'd like to put surge suppresion on an incoming network connection to my headphone system, w/o spending too much.

They mention "broadband" protection, but I can't determine if they are referring to coax for a cable modem, or a RJ45 network connector.

Super-Gonzo, the RJ-11 jacks are for telephone connections. They are referring to the coax connections for cable modem when talking about broadband protection.

I am very happy with my PC-1000 (which I bought from buy.com with no problems). I use it with my speaker rig and it doesn't limit dynamics going to my amplifier. As long as it doesn't make the sound worse, I am very happy with it as a surge protector.

Feb 27, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #73 of 74
I stopped using my Monster 1000's some years ago with audio equipment, but use them with the computer and tv since it is always on, or partly on. I felt it did some filtering but also reduced dynamics with power amps and my Stax SRM-3 headphone amps which seem to need the last bit of voltage to sound good.

I suspect that if you have really noisy power this may help a lot. As it is I just use $2.00, 15-amp plug boards with very short cables and a small RF ceramic filter on the cable and am happy with the results.

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #74 of 74
RGA

Quote:

I'm also planning to send an email to Bryston because in the Monster demo the Marantz 7300 had a lot of noise which the monster fixed but the Bryston required no fix because their amp with the same outlet had NO noise at

Did you listen to this demo or was this from a website?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back