Monster beats studio/ Sennheiser HD 380 pro/ Grados SR225i or Grados SR325is
Feb 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 34
So the HD600/650 has comparable bass to the Beats?

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 34
I listened to the Beats a couple of weeks ago and in my opinion they are pretty horrid for the price. Bloated bass and sucked out midrange that destroys most details and makes everything sound like it's heavily equalized.
As for the Grados I don't think that's what you want either. They are not that portable and the open design means that everyone around you will know what you're listening to.
Also the Grados are not very comfortable either.
Go check out the Denon D1001. It's portable, closed and it has an excellent sound quality with a great bass and an overall sound signature that works well with rock and heavy metal. Very comfortable too.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimragone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go check out the Denon D1001. It's portable, closed and it has an excellent sound quality with a great bass and an overall sound signature that works well with rock and heavy metal. Very comfortable too.

thanks for the advice.
first of all, are the Denon AHD1001S the same as Denon D1001 (sorry, but I really dont know much about anything to do with headphones
tongue.gif
)
just one question, would i need to get an amplifier with the Denon D1001 cans? because i really dont want to use an amp..

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #19 of 34
The 'S' in the AH-D1001S refers to the silver cup color. The internals are the same. And no, the Denons don't need an amp although they do have scaling potential.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by NormaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my ultrasones hfi780 for metal and they isolate pretty good.

i was reading a bit about the ultrasones hfi780, and they do seem pretty good. but a few reviews i read said that they're not very comfortable if u want to listen to music for a long time, just wanted to know if that is true.

also, u said they isolate pretty good, but can i use them in a plane or a train? because, again, a few reviews said that one can't use them out in public places, just wanted to know what you think.

thanks a lot.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 'S' in the AH-D1001S refers to the silver cup color. The internals are the same. And no, the Denons don't need an amp although they do have scaling potential.

cool, thanks.
btw, what do you mean when you say they have scaling potential? (again, sorry for not knowing anything around here).

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #22 of 34
What I refer to as scaling potential is the room for improvement that a headphone has when hooked up to an increasingly good source. There are some headphones out there that simply transform when driven properly and others that barely improve. And there are headphones everywhere along the gradient between the two extremes. The D1001k definitely benefits from a good source but in the grand scheme of things it is farther from the "complete transformation" end of the spectrum and closer to the "marginal benefit" end, meaning that it does not sound underpowered straight out of a portable player. But of course if you do decide to get an amp in the future, you may get some 'additional' sound quality out of the Denons yet.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #24 of 34
i just got the sennheiser MX 460 earphones for temporary use (until I decide which headphones to best spend my money on). they were really cheap (about $18), and they're not half as bad as i expected. although they're s*** while traveling because there's no noise cancellation. i still cant decide whether to get the beats studio or not :/ any other good headphones out there that havent been mentioned here?

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #26 of 34
i just got to know about the Audio-Technica ATHANC7B. they seem perfect: the sound quality is apparently pretty good and they're really cheap, compared to the other cans mentioned here. does anyone know anything about them?

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 34
I have the Sennheiser HD380 Pros and they sound great. They are very detailed with great clarity, and the way it is designed is to have the sound be put forth directly in your ear because of the way the drivers are angled. The Sennheiser HD380 Pro has sparkling highs, forward mids, and the right amount of bass. I love them, but they're not too popular here on head-fi. The only issue with them is the heavy coiled cable, but I was able to overcome this issue by using a cable winder that came with the HD202s. I uncoiled the coiled cable and wrapped it around a cable winder. Now I have no problems with them. From the other headphones that I own, I would have to say they sound like a closed version of the HD595s, which are outstanding open, dynamic headphones.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone in headfi actually done a full review of the hd380 pro? Ive noticed that all 9 reviews in amazon gave them 5 stars. There must be something good about them. Am I missing something? Another thing thats also weird is that headroom has measurements of them but arent selling any. The frequency response and the 50hz square wave are pretty good on them too. I'm surprised not too many people have taken the risk of getting them around here. As for me, I will be taking the plunge into some German Maestro GMP 8.300Ds

I demo'd these at Guitar Center along with the SRH840's and the ATH-M50's and in my opinion, they sucked. The soundstage was tiny and they just seemed to lack detail.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisssssssss2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sennheiser HD380 Pros and they sound great. They are very detailed with great clarity, and the way it is designed is to have the sound be put forth directly in your ear because of the way the drivers are angled. The Sennheiser HD380 Pro has sparkling highs, forward mids, and the right amount of bass. I love them, but they're not too popular here on head-fi. The only issue with them is the heavy coiled cable, but I was able to overcome this issue by using a cable winder that came with the HD202s. I uncoiled the coiled cable and wrapped it around a cable winder. Now I have no problems with them. From the other headphones that I own, I would have to say they sound like a closed version of the HD595s, which are outstanding open, dynamic headphones.

do the HD380 Pros have a good base response? i mean would they be good for listening to rock, metal, etc? also, how is the sound isolation of these headphones? its just that its really annoying having to put the volume to almost maximum while traveling.. and are they really big? i mean would you carry them around, or just use them at home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back