Monster beats studio/ Sennheiser HD 380 pro/ Grados SR225i or Grados SR325is
Dec 28, 2009 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

sar

New Head-Fier
Hi
Okay I am quite new to this. i dont know a lot about music, except that i listen to rock, metal, heavy metal, etc (mostly iron maiden
biggrin.gif
), so bass is quite important to me, along with 'clarity of the music'. i usually just use my ipod, but sometimes also my computer. i also dont plan to get an amplifier. i have been reading quite a bit and cant decide between the four headphones i mentioned in the title. i have never tried on any of those except the Beats, and they're really good ( there are no shops close by for me to try on headphones). After reading about the other headphones, and going through quite a few reviews, i have come to the conclusion that the Beats are simply over priced, since there are other headphones, as good as the beats, just cheaper (although i have heard the bass in the Beats is better than most of the other headphones). also, noise cancellation is quite important to me aswell, since i travel quite a lot. apparently the noise cancellation of the grados is quite bad, but id like to see what someone who has actually tried them says about that. Also, if there are any other headphones out there that are good, please do mention them. i plan to spend anything up to $300.

thanks for the help.

Dec 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #4 of 34
Grado is the typical recommendation for rock/metal music. The design of Grados is such that the driver is open on both ends, so sounds "leak" in or out. I haven't ever noticed the leaking in to be much of an issue, but they wouldn't be optimal for use on public transit or in other noisy situations. Beats are definitely not what you're looking for, unless you want a bunch of muddy bass disrupting the soundstage.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 34
I would say go for the SR225i or the Sennheiser.
I heard the Monster Beats - and I have never heard bloating bass like that - awefull in my ears. The SR325 is not for beginners. It's like learning to drink fine whiskey and you might not like that the SR325 are very forward in their sound.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 34
I switched to SR325i directly from Sennheiser HD595 which I had liked, and it was a huge step forward for me, like hearing real music finally, even from a DAP. SR225 which I knew before made me think I wouldn't go any lower than SR325i and I was right. I suppose that the SR325i are way better than any other headphone mentioned in the OP.

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 34
The Monster Beats studio phones get about as much respect around here as the Bose Triports.... just sayin', LOL they must be good for something, say really compressed music right off of a mP3 player?

Dec 28, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 34
I think that the SR225i is the best bang for your buck. They offer great clarity with accurate bass. The are $100 cheaper than the SR325i and in my opinion sound most similar to the RS1i from the Grado Prestige series.

The sennheiser model you have chosen won't compete with the Grados and as mentioned, the monster beats won't provide you with much except sloppy overdriven bass. Not worth the money.

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 34
thanks for the replies. so basically Beats are off the list
tongue.gif

cwoo - u said the sennheiser model i have chosen wont compete with the mentioned Grados. which sennheiser would be as good as the ones i have mentioned?
i kno the Grados are great for rock/metal, but what about noise cancellation?? the problem with the Grados is that i can't use them on planes, or any other public transport facilities..
do you guys know any other headphones in this price range that would be good?

really appreciate the help.

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 34
The closest from Sennheiser would be the hd-25 or the hd-595. The hd600 and hd650 aren't too far off of your $300 price range but require an amp of equal value or better.

Grados are great because they work well unamped.

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 34
Get the SR325is and be done with it. There shall be no going back. If that one is not "your cup of tea", then you will be happier with the ESW9.

Grados will not isolate whatsoever. I recommend the HD-25 as cwoo said or an ESW9 or SRH840.

My sister heard the Beats. She said all she could hear is bass, lol.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 34
I listened to the Monster full sized headphones yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.It was hooked up to the iPod touch.It has a liquid,warm sound that is leaning towards a fully defined frequency response.Very nice detail and a surprisingly full sound stage.The things that i noticed during the 10 minutes was the smooth lush full bodied musical reproduction.And the bass was fantastic.Great detail and transient natural sound at any volume.If the price was under $200,i would not hesitate to buy them.They don't look durable.The flimsy plastic head band looks like it would easily break with heavy pressure.I don't think they are worth the over $300,because of the many headphones in that price range.But i will definitely keep my eye open for a sale price.If i were to compare them to a headphone i have heard,i would say they have the HFI-580 or HD600/650 sound with less aggressive high end and lush midrange.Keep in mind i only listened to them for about 10-15 minutes.I think they should given a thorough review.They are definitely underrated in IMO.Too bad they are overpriced.And that is why they got the bad rep.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 34
Has anyone in headfi actually done a full review of the hd380 pro? Ive noticed that all 9 reviews in amazon gave them 5 stars. There must be something good about them. Am I missing something? Another thing thats also weird is that headroom has measurements of them but arent selling any. The frequency response and the 50hz square wave are pretty good on them too. I'm surprised not too many people have taken the risk of getting them around here. As for me, I will be taking the plunge into some German Maestro GMP 8.300Ds

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the Monster full sized headphones yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.It was hooked up to the iPod touch.It has a liquid,warm sound that is leaning towards a fully defined frequency response.Very nice detail and a surprisingly full sound stage.The things that i noticed during the 10 minutes was the smooth lush full bodied musical reproduction.And the bass was fantastic.Great detail and transient natural sound at any volume.If the price was under $200,i would not hesitate to buy them.They don't look durable.The flimsy plastic head band looks like it would easily break with heavy pressure.I don't think they are worth the over $300,because of the many headphones in that price range.But i will definitely keep my eye open for a sale price.If i were to compare them to a headphone i have heard,i would say they have the HFI-580 or HD600/650 sound with less aggressive high end and lush midrange.Keep in mind i only listened to them for about 10-15 minutes.I think they should given a thorough review.They are definitely underrated in IMO.Too bad they are overpriced.And that is why they got the bad rep.

Totally agree. I got them at a substantially discounted price, and I thought they were just fun cans for my iPod and all my older compressed mp3s. The sound is comparable to the HFI-580, but with a bit less clarity in the midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back