Monster Beats or Turbines?
Apr 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 18
At this point, I'm beginning to think that the only reason that Monster released the Turbines was because they had also wanted to appeal to audiophiles like Head-Fiers and understood how that demographic frowns upon products being associated with hip-hop artists like Dr. Dre (quite sad, all this talk about supporting the audiophile manafacturers and damning of all mainstream manafacturers, yet there is clearly bias and brand loyalty at play here more so than juding products on their SQ merits). I haven't auditioned the Turbines yet but I have a hunch that both Turbines and the Beats Tours most probably sound quite similar. If this is the case then it really comes down to an aesthetic choice.

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 18
I will get chance to listen to the beats soon I hope and get a review up. As it is, it should be very obvious that I enjoy the Turbine earphones. Though not perfect, they are for the price, a surprising phone.

Of course with tips, I think Monster skimped. The Turbine is to my preferences most airy and natural with ety foamies.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course with tips, I think Monster skimped. The Turbine is to my preferences most airy and natural with ety foamies.

I agree. I think my issues might be tip related. The small is too small and the medium is large for me. Might be causing my issues with them.

Apr 7, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 18
i used small for a good fit, but i don't like silicon flanges of any flavour. it would be nice to see more wide mouth manufacturers use the low density foamy ala Ety's amazing makes. They fit well, isolate well enough and provide a great wide stage as well as smoother transitions from frequency to frequency - of course if trimmed correctly.

Apr 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Turbines take really well to the Sony EX tips too. The highs really open up. I have yet to try them with the hybrid Sony tips, but I'm sure they'll be even more of an improvement. It is a shame that they skimped on tips, and that the Turbine's full potential can't be realized without something else. I quite agree with your assessment of the natural and airy sense. Soundstage is improved too with better tips.

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 18
Could anyone please tell me what kind of ety foamies fit the Turbines? I was thinking about comply's, but I hear they don't have good synergy with the Turbines.

I've been using the smallest size of my Zune Premium IEM tips, and even they hurt my ear canals after longer than an hours' use.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 18
Read that review, very nicely put together
biggrin.gif
So there IS a difference between the two with the Beats Tour being the warmer sounding pair out of the two. I shall get ahold of a pair of Turbines and try them out one day
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 18
the stock ety yellow or off white foamies are the ones i am talking about. take out the inner rubber ring and trim the length of it to accomodate the monster sound tube: great sound for my tastes - more open and with a stabler frequency response.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 18
Thanks a lot, shigzeo! You don't happen to know the model number of your foamies do you? I trawled amazon, and I found ER4-14C (yellow) and ER4-14A (flesh colour). I've never tried etys, so I don't know the difference between them, other than the flesh one being longer (which won't matter if I'm gonna trim them anyway). Are there any other differences between them, eg foam type or density?

EDIT, 4/10: I found a pair of shure foamies (the orange ones - E2C I believe?) which are doing quite a good job. Mids and highs don't feel like they've been compromised much. I also picked up a pair of Sony hybrid tips, a quick a/b showed they sounded better all around (and clearer) than the foamies, but had less isolation.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #13 of 18
I'm looking into getting a second pair of phones and am strongly considering either the Shure SE-115s (which are new) or a set of Turbines. From what I've read on various reviews, the stock tips which come with the turbines don't provide a very good seal and you really need to use a different set of tips (Comply's were mentioned) in order to really bring out the best in these phones. I'm considering the 115s because limited reviews have indicated that they have more bass output than the 110s, but that isn't saying much (at least to me, anyway). I'd like to know how the 115s compare against the 210s (which I previously owned) and the Monster phones.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #14 of 18
I'm quite late to this party but I wanted to share that the Turbines do not sound anything like the Beats Tours. Two very different animals. Turbines are way better in SQ, by the way, which is a shame because the Tours have a much better cable.

Tours do not have any lower bass extension, this really baffles me considering they are supposed to be hip hop/rap phones. They are not bass monsters at all, instead they have cheap-sounding bass with no details. This is a shame because the highs and mids were pretty good. Could have been a great IEM but without the bass it is all useless. I used Comply TX400 tips to test to make sure it wasn't a fit issue (stock Monster tips are horrible) and the results are still: Tours do not measure up in terms of SQ.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Turbines take really well to the Sony EX tips too. The highs really open up. I have yet to try them with the hybrid Sony tips, but I'm sure they'll be even more of an improvement. It is a shame that they skimped on tips, and that the Turbine's full potential can't be realized without something else. I quite agree with your assessment of the natural and airy sense. Soundstage is improved too with better tips.

When did you get Turbines @ cn11, and what kind did you get? Welcome to the club!...lol. First impressions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back