Monoprice TOSlink cable deal
Jul 1, 2007 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LostOne.TR

1000+ Head-Fier
Monoprice has a deal today for their premium TOSlink 3 ft. cable at $2.84.

While I personally have not had experience with this cable yet, I've owned one for a bit of time, but am in the process of getting a transport + DAC to use it with.

Just thought the deal was good and wanted to share it with other head-fi'ers.
Monoprice also has quite a few other cables at affordable prices. Most likely they won't stack up to the really expensive ones, but they should match/beat most cables at best buy/common stores that sell at prices alot higher than this.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 7
I've purchased from monoprice in the past, and been very pleased with my experience. As LostOne says, though, they're not the "best" cables around -- but they're certainly a notch up from RatShack, BestBuy, etc.

Slightly off-topic, I am looking to get a 40" mini-to-mini cable for my RP-15MC headphones. I don't want to spend more than $10-15 on it. Think a monoprice cable would do me justice, or should I have one custom created by a head-fier?

I could also purchase some cable and learn how to do it myself (I already have the plugs, even!) but I don't think it would make much sense since even the smallest quantity of cable is probably much more than I need.

Jul 4, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 7
From the RP-21 I have... I personally do not feel that the cable is of that great a quality. As such, I would consider pairing it up with an extension from monoprice. The monoprice audio cable does seem really thin though. Don't know how much of an affect that would give.

Had my headphone been loaded with a pretty high end cable, I would then consider getting a cable of comparative quality/parts in the extension.

Jul 4, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the Monoprice Premium Toslink cable and have found it to be pretty darn good.

They actually have metal connectors (not common even in toslinks costing much more).

The sound is smooth and extended in both directions, certainly much better sound than any I found in mass market retailers. As a value cable, it's hard to do better. Plus their service has always been friendly and shipping very fast.

Highly recommended.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 7
This begs the question: Who does make the best sounding, (neutral), 10 foot extension cable for headphones at different prices. Say $5, $25, $50 and lets say for use with all headphones...

Jul 5, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 7
I too, highly recommend Monoprice for buying good quality cables at the cheapest prices you can find on the internet. More money doesn't mean better quality; I've tried many Monster audio cables and i find them to be extremely UNnatural and colored. If you don't need any fancy bragging right, go with Monoprice.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back